PDA

View Full Version : Sin Bin

Big Dog
13th January 2004, 22:47
I'm curious to see how I compare to other riders based on a tangible measurement.

So how often do you bin road bikes?
I only want to know about accidents on the road, not it fell over off its side stand or dropped it in the driveway.
E.g I have bailed three times. I have done 160,000kms = 53,333kms = oops screwed up no option for that so go 60-70.

Slim
13th January 2004, 23:16
Shit, I don’t know!!! It’s been 9 years or more since the last time I came off a motorbike, and at the time I was doing 50,000kms a year. A couple more years of that, then three years without a bike, and the last 5 years at about 10,000kms a year …. You work it out! :confused:

BurnCycle
14th January 2004, 00:10
Shit, I don’t know!!! It’s been 9 years or more since the last time I came off a motorbike, and at the time I was doing 50,000kms a year. A couple more years of that, then three years without a bike, and the last 5 years at about 10,000kms a year …. You work it out! :confused:

Same here... Last time I came off a bike was in 93. It's hard to put mileage against it though. I know I came off twice when I was an idiot on a bike in a short period of time. Good riding friends, proper gear and track days have been instrumental in keeping my arse in the seat and not on the ground.

LB
14th January 2004, 05:15
I don't think I'll tempt fate by even thinking about this one......

LB
14th January 2004, 05:17
(it's been a long long long time but I don't want to get smug/complacent....there but for the grace of God etc etc etc)

Antallica
14th January 2004, 06:55
Never come off my FXR. An old grannie did make me bump into her arse a while back, but I never came off. Her fault of course :D

Hitcher
14th January 2004, 07:51
(it's been a long long long time but I don't want to get smug/complacent....there but for the grace of God etc etc etc)
Amen to that Sister!
:whistle:

Mitch
14th January 2004, 08:07
Good god I suddenly fell like a bloody incompetent rider hehe :doh:
Everyone on here is saying NO NOT ME........ NOT LATELY............
Allow me to be the exception to the rule :sly: It took me a year of riding before I had my first crash (highside) and have had many since then!!!!
Admittedly most have been on the track, for a while there it seemed imposible for me to keep it upright and often crashed twice in one day.
I did once manage to crash 3 times in 2 weeks on the road (2 of them were just a day apart) :p got hit by a car, then binned it on the track (Sunday) then rode off to work on Monday thinking I was still on the track and OOPS binned it again.
It has been a little while now since I last kissed the road/track BUT I am racing this weekend so will keep you posted ;) ;)

jrandom
14th January 2004, 08:10
An old grannie did make me bump into her arse a while back, but I never came

Dude. This is a family forum, OK?

:lol:

750Y
14th January 2004, 08:38

lol
there goes the thread 8-).

Jackrat
14th January 2004, 08:47
I came off the very first day I ever rode on the road,Did a U turn,give it the gas an learnt my first lesson.That was in 1969 an since then I have come off on the road four times,once a gas spill in a corner,then a car pulled out on me in town,Then a Bonnie jumped out of gear mid corner an I decked it rather than go over the bank,Don,t know if that one counts as I did it myself,Better the Armco than a long drop to the rocks below,then a loss of control at speed in the rain.So that makes five times since 1969.I had three years not owning a bike after the last one,1988.I have no idea what the km's would work out.
Now if you was talking about incidents on the road rather than coming off the list would be as long as both arms :o

angle
14th January 2004, 13:56
I've been off five times. The first time I was riding an RGV250 on a gravel road enjoying the scenery so much that did not notice a big trench in front of me. Fell rather hard on the left side and surfed the gravel for about seven meters. A week later, the same day I replaced the turning indicator, took a wrong turn onto a gravel road doing 120 km/h, ended up in the roadside ditch, the brand new indicator was gone. The third time happened at a roundabout when I had to ease off the throttle because of a car that had just pulled into my path from the left, resulting in not enough turque at a lean angle. The fourth time happened while cornering and riding through a fuel spill. The last time I crashed with a help of four wheels, the driver did not see me and drove right into the back of the bike.

wkid_one
14th January 2004, 14:25
An old grannie did make me bump into her arse a while back, but I never came off. Her fault of course :D
Gotta hate it when they make you do that - but come on, blaming her?? It takes two to tango.......

Motoracer
14th January 2004, 14:47
1) Left hand sweeper at 140-150 then I get surprised with a tight right hander. In-experience got the better of me and went for a little offroad riding at about 100.

Lesson: Don't lock front brakes. Don't wear jeans as protection.

2) Following a Gixer thou through the twisties on my ZXR and I ended up following him into a ditch at a fair bit of speed.

Lesson: Don't follow the rider infront blindly. Stop wearing the damn jeans!!

3) I had to ride my bro's bike 1 Km to drop it off at his place. Wasn't thinking about riding it (girl trouble). As soon as I went out of the drive way I pulled a "Cold kiwi" but I high sided insted of lowsiding.

Lesson: Think about riding the bike when riding the bike. Ease off the throtle insted of snapping it shut.

4) Riding a mates bike through the twisties with a shot rear tire in the rain. Back wheel started sliding and I didn't want to high side so I kept the slide going, unfortunatly it was a 180 degree corner and I ran out of sliding balance before the corner finished. Near right off.

Lesson: Get decent tires. Respect other people's property. Don't hold on to the slide for too long.

5) Going 160, slowing down for a slight bend and going past a crest I loose the front in the wet on thoes shiney srufaced roads. It must have looked spectacular from a distance as I was fighting to get the front wheel back with both of my feet on the ground to balance the bike at about 130. Went for a slide on my arse and the bike went for a bit of a tumble.

Lesson: Stop riding on the road...fast (I am terible road rider, I have yet to find out how much I suck on the track).

:done: :o

Nouseforaname
14th January 2004, 16:28
first ever time on a bike.... 14yo and didnt know how to ride at all.... went screaming off down the road for about 30secs before i worked out how to change gear. Turned around, floored it past my mate who's bike it was, looked down and wondered what that little lever was on the right hand side by my foot, smashed it as hard as i could and sled out in the wet sending his bike into a parked car...... id say 500m before my first :doctor:

Antallica
14th January 2004, 20:00

Oh you little shite! :ar15:

riffer
14th January 2004, 21:17
Haven't crashed or fallen off since 1985, when I highsided my CB350 twin going around Lower Hutt Roundabout.

Plenty of offs when I was a teenager early 80s on my IT400 - that was a mad motorbike!

However, I was away from bikes from 1989 till 2003, and I guess I did some growing up in that time (hopefully!).

So fingers crossed that was the last one...

discodan
14th January 2004, 21:30
First time was on a rainy day, hit some greasy sh*t on the road and went down, second time cruising thru town and got taken out by some one who ran a red light, pretty pissed about that one as I still havnt repaired my bike proply and I havnt been paid a cent yet.
Man Motoracer 40% of your crashes on bikes that dont belong to you :Oops: :whistle: hope they forgave you :bash:

Motoracer
15th January 2004, 07:50
Man Motoracer 40% of your crashes on bikes that dont belong to you :Oops: :whistle: hope they forgave you :bash:

Yea they did, they are awesome people but NO more borrowing bikes for me.

Draco
15th January 2004, 10:26
Well after reading those i dont feel like such an ameteur. Had been riding about 2 years, had a VFR400. Unbeknown to me had stuffed steering head bearings. Hit a really rough patch of road at over 120k got the hell tank slap and high sided. Busted my pelvis as i hit the deck, was doing alright sliding down the road then the *&^%$% bike caught up to me and shunted me into a spin and i shattered my pelvis in 5 places, tore out the ligaments in my knee and ankle and removed half a km of skin. Yep, the old levi's just don't cut the mustard. Thanks to my crash they've now rebuilt that section of road, here's hopin it saves another biker.

Ms Piggy
15th January 2004, 16:17
Just after I clicked on "I am a learner, and have never binned" I recalled once (many years ago) I went for a ride on a little nifty 50 in a farm paddock.

I had absolutely no riding experience wotsoever so I went blatting along the track with the accelerator wound up full tit and came to a corner & didn't slow down! :shit: OMG!! Wot a dofus!

I ended up off the bike of course having done a spectacular wipe out after riding through a patch of thistles! :crazy: I had a helmet on & all the guys I was with came rushing up to me to see that I was ok (which I was, luckily).

At the time I was a bit insulted b/c the guy who had loaned me his helmet grabbed his helmet & gave it a really close inspection. Now of course I realise that it's fair enough!

SHAME!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Big Dog
16th January 2004, 12:11
8 people say they have never binned. Out of curiosity who, and how long have you been riding? How did you learn?

Also I thought every one new roughly how many km's they did on their bikes before selling them / writing them off. Too much the nerd I guess.

georgedubyabush
16th January 2004, 14:43
8 people say they have never binned. Out of curiosity who, and how long have you been riding? How did you learn?

Never binned. 13 months on road. About 16000 kms. Dont really ride in town though. Dont really get to ride in traffic at all. Learned on old piece of shit farm/trail bikes. The kind with no brakes and completely bald tyres, broken spokes and levers etc...

duckman
16th January 2004, 15:48
Heya Big Dog,

I'm one of the 8 that, as yet, hasn't binned a road bike. I've been riding for about 10 years. Mostly touring trips round the north island and a yearly trip to the south island for good ol blast.
I've had 5 bikes of various sorts and currently ride a 2000 Ducati 750 SS. (love it).

Now before I get flamed as some bragging git, I suspect my riding would be considered quite average. I usually sit at about 120 and when my lady's on the back I'm quite conservative.

I started racing GP last season and crashed twice !! No injuries and to be honest I'm now glad of the experience. (always something to be learnt)

I must admit I'm quite surprised at the frequency of people who crash on this site. If I binned the Ducati the cost alone would have my off the road for months. My bike is now my only form of transport (besides my feet), so I have to be a little cautious.

Come on surely there are more riders out there who don't crash often. ??

Jackrat
16th January 2004, 17:53
Don,t crash often,Yeah I guess I could say that now,And for much the same reasons you mention Duckman.I just couldn't afford the cost even tho I ride a bike that is pretty cheap an eazy to fix.The other reason is that the last time I went down I did so much damage to myself I just don't want to go there ever again so I keep things pretty conservative.I used to be a total hoon on the roads but now days I save it for the dirt an even then it really hurts.I think anybody that has never crashed on the road is just doing real good,sure wish I hadn't.Good on ya' keep it up :niceone:

DEATH_INC.
17th January 2004, 07:51
I usta crash often,but haven't had a decent getoff for a few years now...(I've had two bikes I haven't crashed!) Part of the reason I got rid of the ZX12,it was an accident waiting to happen(I've had it on the rear wheel with the rear spinning over a rise around a corner with 280k on the speedo :crazy: )it was just too clumsy for the speeds it is capable of and the type of riding I do.

Marmoot
17th January 2004, 10:42
I crashed my blade......3 times.
I NEED A HAYABUSA!!!!!

Big Dog
19th January 2004, 15:33
Heya Big Dog,

I'm one of the 8 that, as yet, hasn't binned a road bike. I've been riding for about 10 years. Mostly touring trips round the north island and a yearly trip to the south island for good ol blast.
I've had 5 bikes of various sorts and currently ride a 2000 Ducati 750 SS. (love it).

It isn't blowing your own trumpet if its true! I'm fairly happy with knowing its been around 80,000 since my last bin. I still contend if I had not been forced onto a 250 I would only have had the one accident (unavoidable, I was stationary). At the end of the day I can word my other accidents however I like but they all came down to my weight exceeded the capabilities of my bike. Having said that if I rode now how I rode then I would be dead or minus a license. 6 of 1, 1/2doz of the other.

marty
19th January 2004, 17:05
I usta crash often,but haven't had a decent getoff for a few years now...(I've had two bikes I haven't crashed!) Part of the reason I got rid of the ZX12,it was an accident waiting to happen(I've had it on the rear wheel with the rear spinning over a rise around a corner with 280k on the speedo :crazy: )it was just too clumsy for the speeds it is capable of and the type of riding I do.

i was at a tauranga bikle shop last week when a low km 2003 zx12 (or some other sort of big kwaka - it was unrecognisable) that had been biffed thru a paddock came in on the back of a ute. apparantley it was the 3rd one that his guy had biffed in recent memory. imagine his insurance!

Kickaha
19th January 2004, 20:27
I only counted road riding, 3 offs in about 70,000km,one of which wrote the bike off,two I rode home from, if I counted Trail rides I'd be lucky to average more than a few kilometres.

PeteThePom
9th February 2004, 22:35
I refuse to answer on the basis that it's deeply unlucky to discuss accidents especially ih the 'Oh, I haven't binned my bike for ages' context cos it's just asking fate to pay some close attention to you, know what I mean???:bye:

Big Dog
10th February 2004, 17:41
Not a bin but a biatch ran my bike over while it was parked saturday.

Hitcher
10th February 2004, 17:44
Not a bin but a biatch ran my bike over while it was parked saturday.

Oh no!! Was said individual driving a Pajero?

Big Dog
10th February 2004, 17:56
Oh no!! Was said individual driving a Pajero?
Comunistador Vectr(et)a(rded).. Silly thing is she bumped into me as I got off / she walked to her car. Oh well shes coffing easy enough so alls well that ends well. :spudwhat:

bluninja
10th February 2004, 18:31
Comunistador Vectr(et)a(rded).. Silly thing is she bumped into me as I got off / she walked to her car. Oh well shes coffing easy enough so alls well that ends well. :spudwhat:
So is the bike rideable? and are you going on the westpac run?

Big Dog
11th February 2004, 16:18
So is the bike rideable? and are you going on the westpac run?
Yes.
Finances permitting (if anyone ever gets around to posting cost.

The only thing that would even be noticed by a non rider is the broken indicator.

As I said she has agreed to pay the only question is is it enough to justify a insurance claim or does she pay out of her pocket. (all damages look at coming in at less than her excess).

Grumpy
13th February 2004, 06:51
Had a couple of little ones years ago, lost the front end playing silly buggers and my first attempt at a wheelstand wasn't too successful but had to wait another 20 years for the worst one, strangely enough, playing silly buggers!

pete376403
13th February 2004, 23:27
No road crashes (provided sliding off on muddy ice at walking pace on Danseys Pass doesn't count) Numerous offs on speedway - some were my own crashes and others were drops to avoid running into a downed rider in front. The best brakes a speedway bike has are the handlebars digging into the track.

digsaw
16th May 2004, 21:41
:whocares: 3 times in the first twenty years, once in the next 28 years,not counting motoX or trailrides :spudwave:

Big Dog
17th May 2004, 17:34
: once in the next 28 years
? Huh? :spudwhat:

Motoracer
17th May 2004, 17:42
? Huh? :spudwhat:

Digsaw started riding at the tender age of 15. He managed to crash 3 times by the time he had turned 35. From then till now, he has had only 1 other accident within that timeframe of 28 years.

Big Dog
17th May 2004, 18:23
Digsaw started riding at the tender age of 15. He managed to crash 3 times by the time he had turned 35. From then till now, he has had only 1 other accident within that timeframe of 28 years.
Forehead slap :crybaby:

digsaw
18th May 2004, 08:00
:whocares: Taupo a few weeks ago double apex comin on to front straight lost the back brake an had close inspection of the kitty litter :whistle: but that dont count,right :spudwave:

brit_vtr
18th May 2004, 08:08
Does stuffing it into Haybales/concrete wall behind at about 230 km's on a road race circuit count ??......it hurt quite alot by the way !!!

Big Dog
18th May 2004, 17:46
Does stuffing it into Haybales/concrete wall behind at about 230 km's on a road race circuit count ??......it hurt quite alot by the way !!!
Depends, were you on the track intentionally or not? :kick:

brit_vtr
18th May 2004, 20:07
Depends, were you on the track intentionally or not? :kick:
Oh yes....there was me and about 20 others, all allegedly racing at the time and roughly in the same direction !!

NordieBoy
18th May 2004, 20:46
Only one crash really.
About 3 years ago.
I've counted it even though I was stationary and got hit from behind.

Would the LTSA count this in the "motorcycle - speed a factor" accident stats?

Big Dog
19th May 2004, 16:11
I was stationary and got hit from behind.

Would the LTSA count this in the "motorcycle - speed a factor" accident stats?
Me too mine was recorded as:
Motorcycle vs truck, rider error, learner license. :mad:

Skyryder
11th June 2004, 11:53
Years ago I slammed into the side of a bridge, well not exactly the bridge but the tunnel that runs under the motoway bridge just after the Blenheim road and Main south roundabout in Chch. Did not come off but bruised my shoulder.

Had the wife on the back of the Drake and about to make a right hand turn from a stationary start on a hill. Leaned the bike over to the right so as to shift into first when the bike just went over. I was on a hill with the slope leaning away from my right. This is what caused the bike to tip over. No one hurt just my pride.

Skyryder

avgas
19th December 2004, 17:35
tattoos are cool, but chicks dig scars......... :doctor: ..........
well thats my excuse :rolleyes:
Sad thing is that most of the time the crashes only do the same amount of damage as if you dropped the bike off the stand

FlyingDutchMan
19th December 2004, 23:50
Twice on the road since I've started. First time low sided on the Sockburn roundabout in chch after some lady pulled out in front of me. Second time was going to fast, braked too hard for speed bump, locked the front, low sided again and slid over speed bump... no wonder I had such friggen big bruises (and the fairings in so many damn little pieces).

moko
20th December 2004, 05:10
I fell off I`d say 15-20 times in my first couple of years on bikes,seriously,totally clueless."Best" one was while going far too fast as usual around the country lanes near my parent`s place,came bouncing around a corner to find a fork in the road,while I was thinking about which direction to take(without worrying about little things like backing off e.t.c.)I went straight down the middle and ended up deep in some gorse bushes.Getting the thing out was as painful as stuffing it in there.
Last accident was in 1979,learner driver had me off,over his car and head-first into someone`s house.Since then done many thousands of miles in all weathers and stayed on.never,ever take anything for granted though and the roads are getting scarier all the time,reckon to have at least 1 near miss in the average week.this time of year is worse,the Police nab loads of drunk drivers,it`s the ones they miss that are the problem.O.k. so my accident record since the old days is pretty impressive but I`m very aware that I dont need to do anything wrong myself to end up on the deck,I never take any chances and treat everyone else on the road as a potential assassin,dosnt mean I tiptoe around,far from it,but I`m always totally focussed while riding to at least try and keep the odds in my favour.

Bonez
20th December 2004, 05:29
A few between 1979 and now. One serious,tib and fib on left leg-shella in a car etc ect(I've had two incidents of shellas in cars over the years,must be my magnetic personnelity) But the off at Mapua in cow shit was the most memorable, slid a looooooong way. Non for around the last 80,000kms touch wood. :brick:

JohnBoy
20th December 2004, 15:13
in my earlier years i was pretty bad, wrote off about 3 bikes...
lately i have been good except for the last track day i went to at manfield on labour weekend.... ( :mad: STUPID CRAPPY LOWSIDE! :mad: ) that sucked the big one, nothing major still rode home from palmy to hams but a crash none the less.

Daisy Duke
20th December 2004, 15:54

LMAO :killingme