PDA

View Full Version : Been in a crash: Insurance advice?

Glowerss
4th September 2013, 15:37
For the first time in me life, I've been in an a bit of a biff. Lady pulled out of a side driveway in front of me in the rain today, no where near enough time to stop, and down we went. Damage on the bike isn't bad, fairings are a bit cracked, bit of road rash, bars a bit bent, the right mirror is cracked. Bike won't fire though, has a FI light on. Not sure what that's about.

Anyway, the lady admitted she was at fault, and no less than 6-8 childcare workers (she hit me right in front of the daycare center) saw what happened. She's fully insured, and I've got what I thought at the time was all the relevent details (name, address, drivers license number, checked it against her actual drivers license).

I don't have insurance on the bike yet, as I've only had it a little while, and I haven't had time to insure it ( :no: stupid I know. Busy life yadda yadda shoulda done it).

My question is, before I start paying any money for anything ( I haven't talked to the lady either) is there something I should know or do/not do? The lady seemed fairly upstanding, but I've heard enough stories of people running into trouble, I'd rather avoid that bit.

So, those who have had the experience before, any pearls of wisdom before I engage on this wondrous voyage of fixing my baby? :doctor:

4th September 2013, 15:42
Does the other party have insurance? If so, then you need to find out who it is, ring them and tell them that one of their clients hit you and admited fault, and you want to claim for the damage to your bike. Has police been notified? As in, do you have crash report? Take photos of the damage to support your case, witness statments, and contact numbers will also help. Either way, if she hit you and it was her fault then she or her insurance should pay.
Don't let her walk all over you. Be polite but firm in asking for compensation.

peril 787b
4th September 2013, 15:44
First off, contact her insurance company to make sure she exists in their books, if not - contact the police to report the incident at the very least.
Secondly, make sure her insurance company also pays for your new helmet that is no longer in a sufficient manner to protect your head should you be in a second accident. They will attempt to avoid doing this, but push your case - a damaged helmet is not a safe helmet and their client was the person who damaged it.
Make sure you keep a record of all details.
Insist that your bike is repaired by your choice of repairer.

At the end of all this, it's your bike that was damaged by their client - so you want it fixed in a manner that you want it to be.

T.W.R
4th September 2013, 15:52
Bugger about the prang, lol though my 1st ever on the road was the same scenario :shutup: 2 nurses heading of to work...sheez nearly 30yrs ago :facepalm:

I don't have insurance on the bike yet, as I've only had it a little while, and I haven't had time to insure it ( :no: stupid I know. Busy life yadda yadda shoulda done it).

:facepalm: only takes a phone call

My question is, before I start paying any money for anything ( I haven't talked to the lady either) is there something I should know or do/not do? The lady seemed fairly upstanding, but I've heard enough stories of people running into trouble, I'd rather avoid that bit.

So, those who have had the experience before, any pearls of wisdom before I engage on this wondrous voyage of fixing my baby? :doctor:

Get it into a friendly bikeshop and get them to do a price-up on repairs (for your own good before the woman's insurance company wave figures of cost) and it'll have to be somewhere for her insurance company's assessor to check it over, be prepared for them to take the write-off route too.

Glowerss
4th September 2013, 15:56
Bugger about the prang, lol though my 1st ever on the road was the same scenario :shutup: 2 nurses heading of to work...sheez nearly 30yrs ago :facepalm:

:facepalm: only takes a phone call

Get it into a friendly bikeshop and get them to do a price-up on repairs (for your own good before the woman's insurance company wave figures of cost) and it'll have to be somewhere for her insurance company's assessor to check it over, be prepared for them to take the write-off route too.

Her insurance can write it off? :no::no::no::no::no: It's a 99 VFR800FI with 68,000km on the cloak. She's as good as toast :(

T.W.R
4th September 2013, 16:02
Her insurance can write it off? :no::no::no::no::no: It's a 99 VFR800FI with 68,000km on the cloak. She's as good as toast :(

If you're going to try for her to pay for repairs they can & will

Drew
4th September 2013, 16:27
Her insurance can write it off? :no::no::no::no::no: It's a 99 VFR800FI with 68,000km on the cloak. She's as good as toast :(Have you called her insurance company yet?

The only info you need at teh scene if no one is hurt, is their name (Write down their drivers license number), reg, and insurer.

Then you should never have occasion to talk to them directly again.

Oh yeah, you're never gonna see the bike again when it goes in for assessment I bet. So take off any goodies you put on it before hand, and chuck the standard shit back on.

skippa1
4th September 2013, 16:40
Does the other party have insurance?

Did you read the op?

Maha
4th September 2013, 16:55
Did you have insurance on your previous bike? if so, then why was it not just rolled over onto the next one? That's what I do with mine.
I wouldn't ride my new bike from the shop until I had cover for it.

Gremlin
4th September 2013, 17:04
Yeah, I've always had it covered since the day I take possession...

The guys are on the right track, need to speak to her insurance, start the claims process. Do you have a dealer you use? Take it to them for assessment. Insurer may want to send their own assessor and also inspect, or if they know the shop they may accept the estimate.

As for repair, you want them to pay for repairs, then they will assess and deem whether it is repairable. A cracked fairing means new fairing. A scratch on a part means new part. You watch the bill climb fast. Blackbird top fairing was over $2000 from memory, for example. Scratched or dented the frame? You won't get that bike back...

If you're really attached to it, one option is to buy it back from insurance and repair yourself.

Maha
4th September 2013, 17:10
When it's one Insurance company involved, it basically comes down what ever their assessor says...goes. The non insured party seeking damages may strike it lucky and get a fair deal, but the way insurance companies are today, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Moral=Have Insurance.

skippa1
4th September 2013, 18:04
Same. Can all be done over the phone in no time

DMNTD
4th September 2013, 18:11
If you haven't contacted the Police yet, do so and create a report.

Mom
4th September 2013, 18:53
Glad you are not injured. Bummer about insurance, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. You wont make that mistake again I am picking. Good luck getting things sorted. Some good advice in here.

4th September 2013, 19:22
Did you read the op?

missed that bit sorry

neels
4th September 2013, 20:14
Contact the insurance company with details of the insured, details of the witnesses to what happened (I hope you got those) then prepare for the arguments about what market value is for your bike. Sadly they stand to lose, and they have lots of money and lots of time.

Last accident I had I was in a work vehicle and was absolutely not at fault, her insurance company took her statement as fact and refused to admit liability, ended up telling them to fuck off and work paid the bill to fix the car because it was easier than waiting god knows how long to get it back.

nzspokes
4th September 2013, 21:08

Exactly. I wont ride anything im not covered to.

But if you hit her and thats her fault, your licensed to be riding the bike etc her insurance co should cover it.

Smifffy
4th September 2013, 22:34
Last 4 purchases I've called the insurance company before parting with the cash. Occasionally the final part of the bargaining is "I'll take it as long as I can get insurance for it".

The downside of that of course is that the dealer then tries to sign you up for insurance too.... yeah nah. :lol:

rastuscat
4th September 2013, 23:48
All this about calling the cops.

Whats the point? It's not their job to pursue insurance claims.

Funny, everyone bags the cops, then screams for them when it's someone else's fault.

Troll.

Gremlin
5th September 2013, 00:16

Usually for paperwork. Insurance usually likes to see the related police report, especially the fault finding (aka, how to weasle out of not paying for a claim). Also to compare the claim to anything reported to police, make sure facts add up etc.

rastuscat
5th September 2013, 00:41
Usually for paperwork. Insurance usually likes to see the related police report, especially the fault finding (aka, how to weasle out of not paying for a claim). Also to compare the claim to anything reported to police, make sure facts add up etc.

Police? Facts? Unrelated, I'm afraid.

Drew
5th September 2013, 06:03

Funny, everyone bags the cops, then screams for them when it's someone else's fault.

Troll.

Cops are only required for incidents where injuries are sustained, or the situation is getting violent.

nzspokes
5th September 2013, 06:12

Troll.

This is Auckland, call the cops and nobody turns up.

Troll right back at ya. :nya:

Maha
5th September 2013, 07:10
This is Auckland, call the cops and nobody turns up.

Mention the word gun and at least 15 will turn up, including dogs.

nzspokes
5th September 2013, 08:20

Mention McDonalds and get the whole station.

Tigadee
5th September 2013, 10:52
Glowerss - Shit, that's tough, man! :( Glad you're OK...

I like dogs...

Glowerss
5th September 2013, 11:04
Yeah, not getting myself covered first was stupid. I knew it was stupid at the time and needed to sort it out, but somehow always managed never to find the time. Live and learn. I certainly won't be making the mistake again.

Does anyone know any well rated bike shops? Any decent recommendations? I haven't a clue where to get my poor baby taken to. SHe's still sitting in a parking lot not far from home.

T.W.R
5th September 2013, 11:18

:lol: The troll is a cop ;)

Does anyone know any well rated bike shops? Any decent recommendations? I haven't a clue where to get my poor baby taken to. SHe's still sitting in a parking lot not far from home.

Where do you usually get it serviced etc? if you've got a shop you go to regularly go back there as they'll know you & the bike. Get pricing on sourcing 2nd hand parts to repair the VFR; the insurance company if you're going to go down that route always do their pricing per new parts and that's what screws the chance of the bike being repaired...instant write-off pretty much, brand OEM parts :pinch: scary

Maha
5th September 2013, 11:21
Yeah, not getting myself covered first was stupid. I knew it was stupid at the time and needed to sort it out, but somehow always managed never to find the time. Live and learn. I certainly won't be making the mistake again.

Richard @ Botany Honda?...is that in your area?

5th September 2013, 11:26
Red Barons might not be a good idea. Just sayin.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/160755-Me-Red-Baron-and-6-month-anniversary

bosslady
5th September 2013, 11:39
Wouldn't have mattered if you had insurance, they probably wouldn't have covered you any way if the bike is outside of your license restriction(s)?

nzspokes
5th September 2013, 12:14
:lol: The troll is a cop ;)

This I do know.

Gremlin
5th September 2013, 12:26
As said, who services the bike etc?

Otherwise, VFR, I'd recommend Botany Honda if they are near you (pro tip, "Auckland" doesn't exactly narrow things down). They're well versed in writing up insurance claims etc.

The Reibz
5th September 2013, 13:21
Glad your alright mate and glad you didn't get up and king hit the bitch to the face as I probably would have done...
I personally can't afford insurance atm so I'm running the risk of riding without it. Maybe I should get it though

baffa
5th September 2013, 13:40
Re insurance: you cannot place the claim on the lady's behalf. Its her insurance, so she has to be the one making the claim.
Due to the privacy act you cant ring up and ask about her insurance. Basically you need to harass her into making a claim, then the insurance company will also deal with you. Having witnesses to prove its her fault helps, because they will try to defend their client.

Having your own insurance is always a good idea. If you were insured, you could ring and make a claim with your provider, and they would chase the woman and her insurance company on your behalf. Also being insured means you would be paid out on your insurance company's terms. Not being insured means its down to her insuruer to decide what your vehicle is worth.
Basically, ring her up and make sure she has placed a claim.

Tigadee
5th September 2013, 13:42
Richard @ Botany Honda?...is that in your area?

+1 Richard's a good bloke. Real professional, efficient and conscientious.

My only repair experience is with Colemans and I wasn't 100% happy with their work.

(pro tip, "Auckland" doesn't exactly narrow things down).

OP's out west in the ranges...

Glowerss
5th September 2013, 14:20
As said, who services the bike etc?

Otherwise, VFR, I'd recommend Botany Honda if they are near you (pro tip, "Auckland" doesn't exactly narrow things down). They're well versed in writing up insurance claims etc.

One thing I've learned, is jeezus does bouncing down the road make you sore as the day after. Hardly felt a thing for a few hours afterwards. Feeling it now!

It's a new (to me) bike. Only a week or two old. I haven't had it anywhere for a service yet. Typically, I use George, but I don't think this is his usual sort of work. A proper shop would be better equipped to deal with it.

I popped into Botany Honda once while oogling bikes, and the guys on the floor seemed pretty decent. I'll give them a ring and see if they deal with this sort of thing.

Lots of helpful info in here. Thanks a bunch guys and gals.

Tigadee
5th September 2013, 15:49
Hope sore body bits is all you need to worry about, Glowerss... :yes: Take care, dude.

JimO
5th September 2013, 15:52

Troll.
it gives the lazy cunts something to do when they arnt fitting people up for murder..............troll

JimO
5th September 2013, 15:54
Glad your alright mate and glad you didn't get up and king hit the bitch to the face as I probably would have done...
I personally can't afford insurance atm so I'm running the risk of riding without it. Maybe I should get it though
whats the worst that can happen??? Tbone a new merc??? they would probably let you pay it off at $100 a wee for the next 30 years

Grashopper
5th September 2013, 16:08
Glad to hear you're ok Glowerss.
Pity about the new bike, but that can be fixed. Let us know how that is going, e.g. following up with that lady and insurance etc.

Maha
5th September 2013, 16:18
Demand what you want like a MAN!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uLqpFNkc0ik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

f2dz
5th September 2013, 17:34
Sad to hear about the crash. Had one myself earlier in the year and we both had full cover fotunately.

On the flipside, if you're the party that's uninsured it can be a bit of a bugger. At least in my case it was with my car a few months ago. Postie ran into it and I had to deal with the insurance company directly instead of my insurance company chasing them up for me, because I only have third party on my car and apparently that's as good as not having insurance I was told.

+1 for using your own repairer also, or at least one that is vouched for by a friend. I used one that was on the insurer's pre-approved list and they did an utterly shithouse job. ISO certified my ass.

But like others have said, stand your ground, be polite but firm. Her fault, she pays.

The one positive note about crashes is that they somewhat reset your 'comfort' setting. After riding a while without incident you get comfortable with yourself. A crash helps you become just that much more aware and really wakes you up.

Shiny side up, ride safe! All the best for a speedy recovery without lingering niggles.

Glowerss
5th September 2013, 17:42
As an update, Fintel and the lady in question thus far have been delightful to deal with.

Lady called her insurance co promptly at 8:30 this morning, called to see how I was, and gave me a claim number straight away. Fintel said they'd paid for somebody to tow it away, and told me to take it to a shop to get the damage assessed. Didn't matter which one. They may later specify which one they want it repaired at, but for the moment it's going to Botany Honda.

The guy at Botany Honda was a right pleasure to deal with as well. They'll send a van out to pick the bike up tomorrow, and let me know what's broked.

I'm feeling pretty fortunate right now, because as far as I can tell, everybody (at least at this moment) is fairly upstanding. Will see how long it lasts I suppose. :cool:

Maha
5th September 2013, 17:48
Awesome outcome so far!

Road kill
5th September 2013, 19:01

Your a funny good cunt at times,,,but wouldn't that king hit be a bit hard from behind the safty of your key board ?:yawn:

nzspokes
5th September 2013, 20:58
Fintel said they'd paid for somebody to tow it away

Dude its still sitting there. I would doubt it will last long sitting there at night.

russd7
5th September 2013, 21:24
just as something to thibk about in case of future incidents, what i have learned, at the scene and at the time take photos and lots of them before any vehicle is moved, cell phones are wonderfull, write a statement saying that the other party is at fault and get them to sign it otherwise it is your word against theirs and never admit liabilty yourself, if there are witnesses, get there names and contact details and a written and signed statement if possible. get lots of photos of damage to both your vehicle and theirs, all this is extremely helpfull if it ends up in court as my daughter found out by not getting this information but allowing the other person to get it, ended up with the adjudicator saying she was 60% at fault even tho the other vehicle backed out in front of her and she couldn't stop due to ice on the road.
did i say get lots of photo's

Tigadee
5th September 2013, 23:27
The guy at Botany Honda was a right pleasure to deal with as well. They'll send a van out to pick the bike up tomorrow, and let me know what's broked.

I'm feeling pretty fortunate right now, because as far as I can tell, everybody (at least at this moment) is fairly upstanding.

Good to hear and glad you're dealing with Botany Honda... :niceone:

bosslady
6th September 2013, 08:21
Dude its still sitting there. I would doubt it will last long sitting there at night.
Geez, really? That's not good that it's still sitting there! Spesh as she aint insured.

Drew
6th September 2013, 08:45
Geez, really? That's not good that it's still sitting there! Spesh as she aint insured.Since the claim is accepted, it's her insurance companies problem.

Devil
6th September 2013, 14:34
....., write a statement saying that the other party is at fault and get them to sign it otherwise it is your word against theirs ....

No-one in their right mind would sign something like that, but you could give it a go.

baffa
6th September 2013, 16:24
It wouldnt matter if she signed it anyway.
She and her insurance company could later argue that she signed it under duress.
Lots of people feel guilty following an accident, when in reality it wasnt entirely their fault.

pzkpfw
6th September 2013, 16:54
And some insurance companies specifically don't want you to admit guilt - it'll stuff up any court case - and it's in their clauses.

So getting someone to sign an "admission of guilt" may backfire as their insurance rejects the claim, and you're left dealing with the person.

baffa
6th September 2013, 17:07
Insurance companies cannot discharge themselves of your liability if you admit fault.
They can however as said put foward a case that you were coerced into admitting fault, thereby making whatever you said mean nothing.

R650R
7th September 2013, 10:09
Sounds like the OP is gettong looked after properly at this stage.
I was in similar circumstances once when a company vehicle backed into my bike at work.
I had to go to a JP and get witnessed statement that I had no insurance with anyone else before they would pay. Which is ridiculous as if I was scamming the system it would have to be a separate company anyway.
Just more hoop jumping to slow the payout process. Sucked when I was working 14hr days in AKLD to try and fit this into schedule but got it done and paid out in end.
(btw that ended the urban myth that companies aren't covered if your private vehicle is damaged on their property, its still a negligent act by the insured against someones property so they have to pay).

leathel
7th September 2013, 14:41
Sounds like it all under control, She has not been one to back out of making a claim and changing stories...well done her

You can cash out a claim if the bike is not structurally damaged, IE if it is a write off because of Labour/parts costs most companies will cash out for value of the bike less the wreck cost if you want to do it up (leave some parts scratched etc to save repair costs), make sure they know if you are thinking about that or they may de-register your bike... and that adds costs to repair. If the frame is bent they wont want to keep the Reg alive.

Or if its not getting repaired let it get written off and buy another...

nerrrd
7th September 2013, 16:32
I think I remember reading this was your dream bike too? Craptastic, but at least you're OK and it looks like it's all going to work out with the other party. Hopefully you'll both be back on the road soon (rubber side down that is).

pzkpfw
7th September 2013, 19:26
Insurance companies cannot discharge themselves of your liability if you admit fault. ...

Maybe a myth, but common:

e.g. Citizens Advice Bureau : http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/tt/ds/Pages/Caraccidents.aspx

Remember never to admit fault at the scene of the accident. It is up to the insurance companies to work out who is at fault and if you say anything to this effect it can make it harder for your insurance company to sorting things out with the other drivers involved. It could result in your claim being cancelled.

russd7
10th September 2013, 11:19
No-one in their right mind would sign something like that, but you could give it a go.

actually have seen it done, especially if someone jumps out of their car and starts saying sorry, you would be surprised

Oscar
10th September 2013, 11:23
Insurance companies cannot discharge themselves of your liability if you admit fault.

Like hell they can't.
If you admit fault in writing and prejuidice the insurers chance to recover their costs, your claim is very likely to be declined.

Glowerss
17th September 2013, 12:15
Welp, slight update. Botany Honda texted me Friday saying they had sent over the quote to Fintel. Gave Fintel a ring today, the repairs had been approved Monday (holy quick turnaround batman), and I should ring Botany Honda to make sure they've cracked into it. Rang up Botany Honda, they'd already started sorting it out yesterday afternoon. Repair estimate came in at around $4,000. I reckon the fact it had quite a few aftermarket bits on it saved it from being written off (aftermarket fairings/riser handlebars ect).

Botany Honda reckons they can have it rideable within the week, and so I'll be able to have it back again while new fairings come into the country.

All in all, an extremely happy me. Fintel was onto it straight away, and didn't yank me around at all. Botany Honda's been pretty awesome to deal with as well. The lady who caused the crash called her insurance co the next morning 8am, got me a claim number straight away, and was also a fine upstanding citizen.

My knees still a bit fucked, but all in all, for a first time crash on two wheels or four, it hasn't been too traumatic an experience. It's nice to know that there are some decent people out there, and that the insurance companies aren't always out to screw you. All that being said, I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience :spanking:

arcane12
17th September 2013, 17:31
It is nice when things work like they should.