PDA

View Full Version : Hope for some - one day?

pritch
5th September 2013, 08:30
http://www.gizmag.com/honda-dsrc-smidsy-motorcycle/28929/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=62f6dc7342-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-62f6dc7342-90148181

Banditbandit
5th September 2013, 09:13
All good - but they need to ensure that drivers engage their brain at the same time as they engage their gears ...

swbarnett
5th September 2013, 10:14
What a load of absolute unadalterated crap!

All this will achieve is to provide yet another piece of electronic crap that drivers will expect to do their job for them and raise the purchase price of vehicles yet again for no advantage.

Maha
5th September 2013, 10:37
What a load of absolute unadalterated crap!

All this will achieve is to provide yet another piece of electronic crap that drivers will expect to do their job for them and raise the purchase price of vehicles yet again for no advantage.

.......and take the onus off ''what really happened'' ie: ''the vehicle-to-vehicle communications system didn't do it's job I tell ya, not my fault''! :oi-grr:

swbarnett
5th September 2013, 12:20
.......and take the onus off ''what really happened'' ie: ''the vehicle-to-vehicle communications system didn't do it's job I tell ya, not my fault''! :oi-grr:
Yeah, instead of SMIDSY it'll be SMMCDSY*.

Sorry Mate, My Car Didn't See You

Gremlin
5th September 2013, 12:23
Ah... BMW has been testing something like this as well...

Edbear
5th September 2013, 12:31
Legal eagles are already discussing the possible court cases coming up where too much emphasis is placed upon vehicle electronics, particularly electronic throtle control and guidance systems.

Ultimately, the driver has responsibility, but when control is taken out of his hands, or feet, literally, where does that leave him?

Visual and audible warning devices are one thing and have their uses, but the driver is still in control and responsible.

Gremlin
5th September 2013, 12:34
...but the driver is still in control and responsible.
:killingme That ship sailed (without most drivers) a long time ago... :laugh:

Edbear
5th September 2013, 12:37
:killingme That ship sailed (without most drivers) a long time ago... :laugh:

Well, that's the theory anyway. I know in Auckland it does seem a rare thing to see a driver in control and responsible... :doh:

swbarnett
5th September 2013, 12:57
Well, that's the theory anyway. I know in Auckland it does seem a rare thing to see a driver in control and responsible... :doh:
Indeed it is rare to see it. But I'm not at all sure that the problem is as big as it's made out to be. The good drivers don't have much opportunity to prove to others that they are indeed "in control and responsible". We only see those that prove they are otherwise.

Edbear
5th September 2013, 13:05
Indeed it is rare to see it. But I'm not at all sure that the problem is as big as it's made out to be. The good drivers don't have much opportunity to prove to others that they are indeed "in control and responsible". We only see those that prove they are otherwise.

Oh, you're quite right of course, but it is far too often we do see drivers who aren't and it can be somewhat nerve-wracking at times to have to negotiate around the morons who are either distracted, usually on the phone or texting, or are swapping lanes and directions on a whim without any warning, like indicators for example, or are simply incompetent to travel at anywhere near the speed limit, whatever speed zone they are in, and stay in their lane.

The almost invariably Asian's, who stick to the right hand lane at 90km/h are the least of our concerns.

SMOKEU
5th September 2013, 13:12
The cage version of TCAS; it certainly sounds appealing.

Gremlin
5th September 2013, 13:41
Indeed it is rare to see it. But I'm not at all sure that the problem is as big as it's made out to be.
As someone who can easily travel across the city in a day's work, the driving tends to vary by area. East is usually clueless and incompetent. South simply doesn't give a fuck, you blinked, so it means you'll give way to them (more likely get out of the way). West are just plain crazy. I've seen them in broad daylight stop for a red light, see that no-one is coming and simply go again, or think the road is their race track. North I've actually found to be responsible good drivers on average.

Exceptions to every rule though...

Road kill
5th September 2013, 19:08

Odd theory fella'.

I drive AK's motorways every day,see thousands of people driving and riding,,,,and can count the standout fuckwits on one hand most days.
You absolutley sure it's not just,,,,in your street:msn-wink:

imdying
6th September 2013, 08:19
Nah, saw 28 cars turn a corner near a school last Friday about 2:45pm. 4 turned into the correct lane, one of those used indicators, 24 just did whatever the fuck they felt like. I thought Chch drivers sucked, but Auckland :facepalm:

swbarnett
6th September 2013, 08:44
Nah, saw 28 cars turn a corner near a school last Friday about 2:45pm. 4 turned into the correct lane, one of those used indicators, 24 just did whatever the fuck they felt like. I thought Chch drivers sucked, but Auckland :facepalm:
OK, so Christchurch drivers obey the letter of the law more than Auckland drivers. This doesn't surprise me (bigger city, probably faster paced). Was any other road user or pedestrian put at risk because of the lack of strict adherance to the letter of the law? If not then this is just another case of drivers performing a manoeuvre that sheds no light on their competancy or lack of it.

I find it interesting is that I've gone from using my horn out of necessity for accident avoidance almost daily (often multiple times) to being able to count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've done so in the past 6 months since moving to Tuakau. While my commute has gone from 17km to about 60km.