PDA

View Full Version : Bobber bike build

bumpybobber
7th September 2013, 23:29
Hi everyone

Just new to the forum. I'm planning a bit of a project and thought I would join the forum to get advice, and track my progress with the build as a resource for others one day.

The bike I'm keen to build is a bobber style - I have a pic of a style i'm looking for after cruising the net.

http://www.garagecompany.com/bike_pic2004/custom/triumph_bobber/triumph_bobber_all.html

Does anyone have an idea on some basic model info that this bike looks like it is built around. From my understanding, it is an early triumph, one that does not have Oil In Frame, as I can see the tank. Looks like a bolt on hard tail set up. So i'm thinking '50s or 60's triumph?

What size front wheel do you think this bike has on it? Looks pretty sweet - I really like the look. Not sure on the red rims, but i'm a long way off choosing colours:)

Found this one on trademe that looks quite similar. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=633681669

I'm keen to use new parts where possible on the build / not waste money on buying used bike then replacing everything but the frame! - so was also thinking down the path of importing a frame / seeking out parts as I go. Anyone had experience with importing a frame?

Thanks guys

Sam

mossy1200
7th September 2013, 23:52
Hi everyone

Just new to the forum. I'm planning a bit of a project and thought I would join the forum to get advice, and track my progress with the build as a resource for others one day.

Sam

Hi Sam and welcome.

Looks like your wanting to create the perfect bobber.
You may be best to source new frame matched to an engine. I would say most custom frame builders will know what info needs be on their frames to send them overseas. Certification etc.

Trojan classic cycles on ebay au have frames

bumpybobber
8th September 2013, 10:57
That's the plan hopefully! Looking for a new project, perfect bobber.

I emailed the website that had the bobber on the link below. It is a '52 Triumph Thunderbird, stock frame motor with 750cc big bore kite. Ceriani front end.

For sale at $12,000 USD now.

Thanks for the tip on the frame builder name in Aussie - are there any in NZ building frames? I might get in touch with Trojan and see if they can assist with importing a frame to NZ.

Cheers

Sam

Drew
8th September 2013, 11:10
I looked quickly at that bike. For half the money you could start with an XS650 Yamaha. Google search them and check out the off the shelf kits available.

bumpybobber
8th September 2013, 14:52
Thanks for the posts.

Yea NZD 15,000 to buy that bike is pricey, would then need shipping, GST etc etc.

I also really like this bike, it's got a bit more class to it than the other link I put up - http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2013/01/heiwa-lizard-tail-triumph-t120r-bobber.html

Took a look at the XS650 - cool looking bike, but there's something about the 50s, 60s Triumph look that has me captivated.

One route might be to get a Trojan Triumph style frame, new forks, find a Triumph engine for the block / casings etc and do a complete rebuild. Slap on a new set of rims and tyres. Fabricate, scrounge and buy the remaining parts.

It's a while off yet...but any one know a good exhaust fabricator in Auckland? I think that is one part that will be out of my skill set!

Getting excited about the project - putting together a spreadsheet, budget and schedule plan this weekend.

Another question, is there anyone building custom bobber bikes like this in NZ?

Cheers

Sam

bumpybobber
10th September 2013, 01:00
Had a look at the trojan frames - looks like they source them from The Factory Metal Works in the USA. They do a pre unit frame all welded or true to original with the bolt on rear.

They do all kinds of stretch and drop to. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on stretch and drop I should lean towards. I'm about 6 foot 1, or 185 cm tall. From what i've research, I should probably look at a 4 inch stretch, 2 drop? Anyone had experience with hard tailing a triumph and going through the stretch / drop thoughts?

So going for one of the Trojan / The Factory Metal Works frames....what kind of triumph engine do I have to keep an eye out for? I'll drop them an email to see their suggestions. From my research I was thinking a triumph 650. Are they pretty rare to see pop up?

I'll do a full rebuild on the engine, so really just need to find one that is largely complete. I'll probably get into tracking down an engine as first job off the bat and doing the rebuild before getting the frame / rolling gear sorted. Tackle the big job first with the engine:)

Anyone got an old 650 lying about:)?

Cheers

Sam

Banditbandit
11th September 2013, 10:39
Does anyone have an idea on some basic model info that this bike looks like it is built around. From my understanding, it is an early triumph, one that does not have Oil In Frame, as I can see the tank. Looks like a bolt on hard tail set up. So i'm thinking '50s or 60's triumph?

It's a bitsa .. basically looks like Triumph Thunderbird - 1949/1950

The engine is pre-Unit so it is pre-1963. Means it is a 650 standard (at least it has a 650 head on it) though this one may have a big bore kit in it such as Morgo. The head looks like a nine-stud so that is off a later unit model - which means the barrels have ben replaced to take the nine-stud head. It's probably a Thunderbird head - the intakes are not spayed so it looks like a single carb model. The carb itself looks like it belongs to the head, but I have no idea why it has a long intake and mounted off to the side rather than behind the engine.

The front hub is interesting - I remember the conical hubs being twin leading shoe brakes, but this bike has a single leading shoe .. so the hub's a strange one. The rear hub is interesting - I'd expect a hard tail to run a sprug hub - so this too is not part of the original bike.

The forks are mid 60s to mid 70s - they don't match the engine.

The frame is clearly pre-1963, and looks like an original frame - it probably is a standard hard-tail frame as the rear wheel adjusters look like Triumph ones - and it has the rear footpeg/exhaust mounts still there - so the frame and the engine possibly match.

I'd place the bike between 1949 and 1951 (But it may be a little more new but not by much) - It most likely started life as a Triumph Thunderbird ...

The rest of it is all after market ..

http://michaelsmotorcycles.com/1950TriumphThunderbird/MVC-001F.JPG

Paulo
11th September 2013, 18:39
Had a look at the trojan frames - looks like they source them from The Factory Metal Works in the USA. They do a pre unit frame all welded or true to original with the bolt on rear.

Anyone got an old 650 lying about:)?

Cheers

Sam

Cheap ones are hard to find. I just sold a non running XS650 for over 2k. and have seen one go for over 4k a couple of weeks ago on trademe. Since a bikes have become cool with the skinny jeans crowd any older UJM CB350's CB750's XS's etc etc are getting more and more expensive. I sold a GB500 last year for twice what I had paid for it 6 years earlier. having said that there are still bargains out there , I got a lovely little 1975 TL125 trials bike for $600 buy now and it runs like a dream, keep your eyes peeled and good luck with the project. : )

BIG DOUG
11th September 2013, 21:40
I would go for a factory metalworks frame or hardtail this is what I am going for as I'm building an alloy t100 500cc pre unit for a customer,we are going for a 2" drop and stretch. I'm not keen on 4" stretch as with a trumpy mtr it looks kinda weird that long in the rear,if you wanted an xs tc bros make a good weld on hardtail for them or I might have a trumpy 70% complete, unit 650 engine with a rebuilt btm end and 5 speed box hardtail frame etc and I also have an xs 650 for sale as well.

bumpybobber
11th September 2013, 23:12
Thanks for the comments. I've been browsing pictures of a lot of 50s, 60s triumph bobbers and getting my thoughts on what i like the look of! So difficult to figure out what's what on these bikes as most of them seem to have bits from all eras thrown in.

Yea the factory metal works frames look great - is there anyone in NZ who stock them? Or is able to import them? I think Trojan in Aussie stock them. but haven't found any in NZ.

I want to start with the engine as that is probably the hardest bit for me - I like the look of the pre unit engines - but apparently quite rare? The unit models look very similar so starting to wonder if i should go for either a unit or pre unit - depending on what comes along in acceptable condition / price.

Yea to much stretch they start to look strange - but i'm 6"1' - 1.86m, would I be to cramped up on a 2 inch stretch?

Are there any mechanical advantage / disadvantage with pre unit or unit? are the unit models stronger? Unit have more aftermarket parts available?

I'll send you a pm BIG DOUG about your bike.

Cheers

Sam

bumpybobber
13th September 2013, 13:48
Sent you a PM BIG DOUG - not sure if it went through though. Was interested in what you had up for sale / photos possibly.

Paul in NZ
13th September 2013, 15:28
The bike in you picture is (as others have said) using a standard 'pre unit' Triumph rigid frame which went up until 1954. They are not at all rare or unusual and they were the basis for any standard chopper the first time around.

Now they are rather collectable and worth heaps in std config so any old triumph stuff is expensive.

They are also tiny by todays standards. Originally they had a sprung single seat (not a cool modern one) or an afterthought (albeit pretty) like dual seat. Lowering the seat will leave you very cramped up but looking very cool....

bumpybobber
14th September 2013, 11:31
Hey everyone

I've continued my research into parts etc.

Found a good reference for old school bike workshop manuals and parts manuals:

http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Triumph.htm

Still trying to sort my approach to this build and map it out to minimise incorrect parts buying etc - I was thinking I would buy a frame, and engine and then gather up the other parts as I can - however from the reading i've done i'm not sure if that will be a good approach - there are so many single parts available, but they seem pretty model specific as the models have change during the 50s, 60s and 70s........or maybe i'm looking to deep into it.

So my planned process:

1. Get my hands on a unit or pre unit 650 engine

2. Rebuild engine / gearbox

3. Get chassis to suit the engine I get.

4. Work towards getting the rolling chassis together - this is where my thinking starts to go in circles - I am keen on the triumph drum brake style hubs - they have a nice simple understated look about them - can I get my hands on new sets of these? and what forks can i get my hands on that will fit this style. I don't really want to use a set of 50 year old forks on a new frame. Was thinking about a new springer set up - are there any other options that will look nice and simple on an old school bobber with drum brake hubs? without being 50 years old?

5. Once rolling chassis is sorted and bones of the bike are sorted, start getting the tank, fenders and seat sorted etc etc etc...

Reason i'm trying to get the parts sorted is that I can then slowly keep an eye out on Trademe, ebay, etc etc and pick up parts as they come up at a good price. I might have to get the pencil and paper out and do some sketches....

Here is a link to a builder in the states who uses springer set ups on all his bikes - his bikes certainly have a unique yet not to over the top look about them...quite nice. That pipe set up gives a pretty custom look - here are some links for his website and a blog thread of one of his builds.

http://www.angrymonkeymotorcycles.com/joomla/

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91832

Arronduke
22nd September 2013, 18:13
I also really like this bike, it's got a bit more class to it than the other link I put up - http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2013/01/heiwa-lizard-tail-triumph-t120r-bobber.html

I like this a lot.!, its cool!. My guess is you will not be doing track days or touring on this?

bumpybobber
12th October 2013, 00:07
I'm looking at bringing over some parts from Aussie of the US - whats the demand on DNA springers in NZ? Can't see many online in NZ - could being in two and sell one on....anyone got an idea on if it would be an easy thing to sell?

Cheers

BIG DOUG
12th October 2013, 07:50
You don't see them listed because there cheap and crap,I had to re-engineer one just junk.The acme springers are nice but pricy and last year I brought an early hd springer + front wheel setup and that cost me $1800.00 but it is beautiful.And you see a genuine late model hd springer for under a grand buy it as the only way to buy an hd springer is in parts from the dealer and that adds up to over 7g's.

bumpybobber
15th October 2013, 20:50
I've had a change of plan - looking on the net at the cost of an old triumph engine...then cost to rebuild it...etc etc...looks to hard / time consuming to be honest!

Going to take a new route - Can buy a modern (2002 to 2010) Triumph engine off ebay in the US for around 1500 to 2000 USD. Can get bobber style frames that fit the modern triumph engines.

Will put a few links up of the parts I plan to source to build this bike.

Here is a pic of a modern triumph bobber - http://www.streetchopperweb.com/features/0709_stcp_2004_triumph_bonneville/photo_02.html

BIG DOUG
17th October 2013, 18:34
I think there is a build thread of that bike on jockey journal

Paul in NZ
18th October 2013, 07:29
Whats the legal aspect of importing a used engine to build a street legal bike here? Would you be better off bringing in the frame as well?

bumpybobber
22nd October 2013, 20:57
Whats the legal aspect of importing a used engine to build a street legal bike here? Would you be better off bringing in the frame as well?

I'm not sure - I can't imagine there would be an issue in using an imported engine on a bike build. I'll have to look into it. I imagine the difficulty would be in importing a frame and trying to get it road legal in NZ - needing all the paperwork that goes along with it. But an engine is an engine isn't it?

Paul in NZ
23rd October 2013, 06:10
But an engine is an engine isn't it?

You might want to check that....

BIG DOUG
24th October 2013, 18:53
trademe 651781275 speedmaster engine

bumpybobber
15th September 2014, 22:17
The dream is still alive...had a child arrive over the past year and been fairly busy. The dream remains to build an a bobber.

Still thinking a modern bobber - i quite like this style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SK5hnY9TJI

I'm just doing a lot of planning on the dimensions then will look at getting a frame sorted.

I quite like the 21 inch front wheel style with rake such that the wheel is tucked in quite close.....doing a few sketches at the moment to try and get dimensions locked down.

BIG DOUG
16th September 2014, 21:21
there was a late triumph mtr on trademe last week $1500 or $1800 can't remember

bumpybobber
16th September 2014, 22:07
there was a late triumph mtr on trademe last week $1500 or $1800 can't remember

Hey Doug - yea I saw that one. From a scrambler apparently, the guy imported it from the states. Didn't come with wiring loom or injectors though so I wasn't jumping at it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/complete-engines/auction-778571307.htm