PDA

View Full Version : Comic books

superjackal
10th September 2013, 09:15
Anyone else on here enjoy comic books? I stepped away from them for a long time but recently got back to reading and collecting. The new formats are amazing and the writing and artwork is top notch.

Lasyt night I read Gotham Knights 31 and it's up there with the best of anything I've ever read.

Be great to hear from other readers with some solid recommendations or if you just want to talk comics.

BuzzardNZ
10th September 2013, 09:33
Check out Viz.

'Sid the Sexist' is pretty funny and looks exactly like a well known KBer from Wellington. I can't say who, but I reckon a few of you out there will see the resemblance.

EDIT: will post a link to Sid's image when I get home from work.

MisterD
10th September 2013, 09:41
Used to read the occasional 2000AD back in the day, and of course Watchmen and Tank Girl but haven't picked up a comic or graphic novel in years.

That might change since MasterD saw his first Iron Man comic at the weekend, but is probabaly still a bit young at 7 years old.

superjackal
10th September 2013, 09:47
Used to read the occasional 2000AD back in the day, and of course Watchmen and Tank Girl but haven't picked up a comic or graphic novel in years.

That might change since MasterD saw his first Iron Man comic at the weekend, but is probabaly still a bit young at 7 years old.

Dredds an amzing character. Would love to see a proper film of him/Megacity One one day. Dredd is just tough, tough, tough.

There's a really cool Batman/Dredd crossover series. You can pick 'em up pretty cheap on Trademe.

kinger
10th September 2013, 09:50
Check out Viz.

'Sid the Sexist' is pretty funny and looks exactly like a well known KBer from Wellington. I can't say who, but I reckon a few of you out there will see the resemblance.

EDIT: will post a link to Sid's image when I get home from work.
Here y'are.......

Big Dave
10th September 2013, 09:54
it's up there with the best of anything I've ever read.

Tolstoy is gutted.

MisterD
10th September 2013, 10:03
Dredds an amzing character. Would love to see a proper film of him/Megacity One one day. Dredd is just tough, tough, tough.

There's a really cool Batman/Dredd crossover series. You can pick 'em up pretty cheap on Trademe.

I came to comics via music really, Jamie Hewlett did artwork for Senseless Things and CuD, Mega City Four obviously and PWEI introduced me to Watchmen.

Nemesis the Warlock was widely held (at least at my 6th form college) to be superior to Dredd.

I went to university in Newcastle, Sid the sexist and the Fat Slags are practically documentaries :eek:

This was a Viz great:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3473/3252321989_08e13ef7da_b.jpg

BuzzardNZ
10th September 2013, 10:12
Sid on the prowl... ( NSFW )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mi2yh1ABvQ

ellipsis
10th September 2013, 10:19
...the MNZ rulebook come under this category of entertainment by any chance...

george formby
10th September 2013, 11:16
Viz? Ha, I'm from Newcastle-ish. Can remember when you picked up a photocopy from the Card Bar, stapled in the corner for 10p. Before they were printed. Still got some somewhere.
2000AD is legendary, Rogue Trooper should get more press.

Read The Watchmen graphic novel awhile ago. Expected it to hold my attention for little more than a peruse but no. I gorged on it.

Otherwise it's just an occasional dip into Roger Mellie's Proffanisaurus.

superjackal
10th September 2013, 16:23
Tolstoy is gutted.

I’m sure he is. IMHO Tolstoy is boring shite the literati kid themselves they actually enjoy reading.

awa355
10th September 2013, 16:52
Does Beano count??287348

Berries
10th September 2013, 23:10
I recall trips to Forbidden Planet in London to pick up these two in the 80's.

mossy1200
11th September 2013, 04:23

My uncle gave me the first 100 odd copies. Parents donated them to a school fair. Wish I still had them.
Strontium Dog was my favourite character in it.

mansell
11th September 2013, 05:54
My uncle gave me the first 100 odd copies. Parents donated them to a school fair. Wish I still had them.
Strontium Dog was my favourite character in it.

I hag the first 40 or so issues, bought with my pocket money way back when. Have to agree wirh rhw Strontium Dog character. Gave them to a neighnours kid when I got into bikes. I was thinking a while ago what would a mint 2000AD number one be worth these days

Tigadee
11th September 2013, 09:14
I used to be a crazy collector in '92 to '94, back when Image Comics first started - turned up every week at the local comic store to buy hot-off-the-press X-Men, Superman, Spiderman, X-Force, Thor, Iron Man, Justice League, Batman, WildCATs, Gen13, Stormwatch, etc (the uni town I was in was just a hour away from the print presses in Detroit, so the comics literally were hot off the press!). The likes of Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, Rob Liefield, Frank Miller, etc were the top-of-the-line artists then... I stopped in '95 after I got married, different priorities.

When I graduated in '94, I could've applied for a job with Image Comics as a digital colourist (back then, Photoshop was so new and few used it), alas family responsibilities and girlfriend pulled me away from that. Now I realise I could have made a lot of moola $$ and got to live in California... :weep:

Have not picked a comic up since, mainly because there's too much to catch up on, there's a lot of recycling of plots (how many times do heroes die?) and while the technology behind the artwork is amazing, the oversall feel of the artwork is too busy, cluttered and schizo - almost like children who had ADHD grew up to be this generation of artists.

Childhood comics were Asterix and Obelix, Tintin, and WW II war comics.

BuzzardNZ
11th September 2013, 09:35
Childhood comics were Asterix and Obelix, Tintin, and WW II war comics.

Same here, loved those old Commando comics.

SMOKEU
11th September 2013, 09:57
http://www.toplessrobot.com/hansi2.jpg

ellipsis
11th September 2013, 10:03
Same here, loved those old Commando comics.

...had my tonsils removed when I was about 11...my cousin dropped off a huge box of war comics...a couple of hundred easily...I had my nose stuck in one from early morning until night while I was laid up recuperating from the slash to my throat...I was in some kind of boyhood dreamworld and can still remember that time now with some kind of yearning for those cool times, growing up in my safe little town... I have never read a war comic since then...the poor krauts were not getting a lot of good press but the soldiers of the imperial forces of the rising sun were always drawn as close to monkeylike as possible it seemed...zum teufel...mein gott...banzai...Hurricanes got as much exposure as the Spitfires which was cool...but The Beano and Dandy were my favourites by far...I could never come to grips with the Phantom though...he was always thinking and so was his dog...

superjackal
11th September 2013, 10:36
I hag the first 40 or so issues, bought with my pocket money way back when. Have to agree wirh rhw Strontium Dog character. Gave them to a neighnours kid when I got into bikes. I was thinking a while ago what would a mint 2000AD number one be worth these days

Best not to think about it. Very, very hard to find too....

Swoop
11th September 2013, 11:05
I hag the first 40 or so issues, bought with my pocket money way back when.
Likewise. Had a stack about 30cm high of 2000AD comics all bought new from the shop with some pocket money.
I remember throwing them into a jumbo-bin during the 1980's, still in mint condition.