PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan for a Honda VT 750 custom 86

craigcj
10th September 2013, 16:36
Hi, iv'e starting restoration on a NV750 Custom and as it,s my first restore job I might be posting a few questions on the forum.

1. Where can i find a replacement fan for the radiator, is there somewhere that would carry second hand parts like this, went to unscrew the fan off the motor and spindle has sheared, now the nut and spindle just turn and i can,t get the fan off the motor.

2. Want to get the tank resprayed but is it best to some how strip the old paint off first, are there places that do this ie: electroplaters that emerse the tank.

PS as far a s i can see the. VT an NV models were almost identical
thanks

caseye
10th September 2013, 16:55
I bet it was working Ok before you took it off too, sorry shouldn't be mean, good luck with this resto, they're brilliant bikes when they run properly.
If you come across a water pump in good nick I'd own it if you don't need it, looking for a good one for the wifes NV400 Custom. Pretty sure they're the same deal.
Honda Bro's 400 650's and FT 500's are also the same, least thats what I've been told.
Let us know how you get on.
Your tank, side covers, guards and anything else you want painted need to be removed, straightened if necessary,primed, painted, top coated and then finally replaced on the bike, when shes all shiny and new again. NOT B4.

actungbaby
10th September 2013, 20:41
Hi, iv'e starting restoration on a NV750 Custom and as it,s my first restore job I might be posting a few questions on the forum.

1. Where can i find a replacement fan for the radiator, is there somewhere that would carry second hand parts like this, went to unscrew the fan off the motor and spindle has sheared, now the nut and spindle just turn and i can,t get the fan off the motor.

2. Want to get the tank resprayed but is it best to some how strip the old paint off first, are there places that do this ie: electroplaters that emerse the tank.

PS as far a s i can see the. VT an NV models were almost identical
thanks

Ebay is great palce to look i usually find parts right away . of course u got pay postage but found

Nz wreakers just overbaord in prices unfreindly why bother.

I had tank done at my old workplace still good not sure what he used to coat the inside the tank

it was rusty at the time well flaking , 25 year ,s on still great. .

Apart from that on outside sand paper . you going take back to the steel then primer it

If its quite rusty a pickle will clear that up quite nice and be alot less work.

get it profesinally painted or have go yourself ?

For me i set out a plan where you want your money to go first. if bikes going fine if not

work out u want up to wof standred engine going great then work on apperances.

That way your not going to go oh thats to tough leave the bike then hello its year gone by.

craigcj
10th September 2013, 21:53
I bet it was working Ok before you took it off too, sorry shouldn't be mean, good luck with this resto, they're brilliant bikes when they run properly.
If you come across a water pump in good nick I'd own it if you don't need it, looking for a good one for the wifes NV400 Custom. Pretty sure they're the same deal.
Honda Bro's 400 650's and FT 500's are also the same, least thats what I've been told.
Let us know how you get on.
Your tank, side covers, guards and anything else you want painted need to be removed, straightened if necessary,primed, painted, top coated and then finally replaced on the bike, when shes all shiny and new again. NOT B4.

Yep was working but not sure for how long

craigcj
10th September 2013, 22:06
Ebay is great palce to look i usually find parts right away . of course u got pay postage but found

Nz wreakers just overbaord in prices unfreindly why bother.

I had tank done at my old workplace still good not sure what he used to coat the inside the tank

it was rusty at the time well flaking , 25 year ,s on still great. .

Apart from that on outside sand paper . you going take back to the steel then primer it

If its quite rusty a pickle will clear that up quite nice and be alot less work.

get it profesinally painted or have go yourself ?

For me i set out a plan where you want your money to go first. if bikes going fine if not

work out u want up to wof standred engine going great then work on apperances.

That way your not going to go oh thats to tough leave the bike then hello its year gone by.
Not sure if im doing this reply bit right but thanks for info will take tank back to steel but more concerned on inside of tank and rust. Ps only just stripped the bike as i rode it back from down south two weeks ago

craigcj
11th September 2013, 07:36
See what you mean about ebay, they seem to have heaps of old parts.