PDA

View Full Version : Helmet fit - snug vs firm vs tight

nerrrd
10th September 2013, 23:04
Today I tried this Schuberth C2 helmet http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/helmets-clothing-footwear/helmets/auction-635215508.htm.

At first it felt like a snug fit and the right shape for my head; after about five minutes it felt like a firm fit; after about 10 minutes it felt like a tight fit, and when I took it off there was a pretty uniform red mark across my forehead.

Turns out the XL is 60/61cm, my head is 61.5cm, and the XXL is 62/63cm (and not available.) C3 is a different shape again apparently.

So...has anyone bought a helmet that felt tight at first but over time has 'broken in' on its own just from wear?

Normally I end up with a helmet that's too big side to side but OK front to back, or I have to knead/sand the polystyrene on the forehead and at the back to relieve those pressure points - and they never feel quite right.

hayd3n
10th September 2013, 23:32
watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd3KGu6BgU

Gremlin
11th September 2013, 00:10
A helmet will loosen up over time, as the padding compresses. The reason literature says snug fit is because you don't want a tight fit. Too tight and you're going to end up with a headache. If you're on the road for hours, this is far from safe.

Each brand of helmet suits different heads, so not all brands will suit your head. Each model of helmet can even have different internal shapes, as Euro / Asian / USA tend to have different head shapes. The important thing is figuring out which ones will suit you. The uniform red mark does mean there were no significant points pressing on your forehead. The real trick is wearing any helmet for a good half hour before you even get an indication that it's suitable for you. Some you can put on and know straight away, but others take much longer.

nerrrd
11th September 2013, 07:55
Thanks, annoying to finally find one that feels like the right shape but is just that little bit too small.

Current helmet took a month or so of gentle sanding a tiny bit at a time to fit comfortably. It fell onto the concrete at a service station recently, which is all the excuse I needed to start looking around again (plus I had some cash handy from selling some stuff on Trademe). I guess the search goes on.

Voltaire
11th September 2013, 13:39
Today I tried this Schuberth C2 helmet http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/helmets-clothing-footwear/helmets/auction-635215508.htm.

At first it felt like a snug fit and the right shape for my head; after about five minutes it felt like a firm fit; after about 10 minutes it felt like a tight fit, and when I took it off there was a pretty uniform red mark across my forehead.

Turns out the XL is 60/61cm, my head is 61.5cm, and the XXL is 62/63cm (and not available.) C3 is a different shape again apparently.

So...has anyone bought a helmet that felt tight at first but over time has 'broken in' on its own just from wear?

Normally I end up with a helmet that's too big side to side but OK front to back, or I have to knead/sand the polystyrene on the forehead and at the back to relieve those pressure points - and they never feel quite right.

I bought one as well ( s1 Pro) 60/61 and while its not a tight fit its snug, but comfortable. I also splashed out and bought a flip front one too, its xxl, not quite as snug but not move your head around loose.
They are a very quiet helmet and the sun visor is like a good pair of sunglasses. Pin lock visor doesn't fog, overall I'm very happy with it. Udo was very nice to deal with too.
Its quieter than my HJC with earplugs without wearing earplugs.

nerrrd
11th September 2013, 18:51
Udo was very nice to deal with too.

+1 for this, very helpful and informative. Hadn't seen any Schuberth helmets up close before, was very impressed, would gladly have parted with my money if only...

southernpete
13th September 2013, 16:15
Same as the C3. I originally had a size 60/61 (based on previous helmets) become painful after wearing for an hour or so. Luckily the dealer swapped it for the next size 62/63 fits snug and is comfortable.

hayd3n
14th September 2013, 19:55
Thanks, annoying to finally find one that feels like the right shape but is just that little bit too small.

Current helmet took a month or so of gentle sanding a tiny bit at a time to fit comfortably. It fell onto the concrete at a service station recently, which is all the excuse I needed to start looking around again (plus I had some cash handy from selling some stuff on Trademe). I guess the search goes on.

clearly you didn't watch the video

nerrrd
16th September 2013, 11:12
clearly you didn't watch the video

Have now, thanks :niceone:.