PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Whangarei today? (11/09/2013)

Juniper
11th September 2013, 10:30
Hey so my bike is in Whangarei atm and I'm in Auckland......see a problem with this one??

I was wondering if anyone was heading that way this morning (for a tank of gas and a box of beers maybe)

Shes rideable home, its just getting there thats the problem.

Please let me know!! Or if you know anyone....I'm easy :bleh:

The Reibz
11th September 2013, 10:45
I will be heading up there next weekend for a hunt if its still there.

What did you do to it....

Juniper
11th September 2013, 11:04
I will be heading up there next weekend for a hunt if its still there.

What did you do to it....

Long story short.. I hit a dog at 100km+, its broken the right foot peg and left brake, foot ok but quite bruised (very thankful for race boots!!)

I rode it to the next township and we stayed there the night.

Awesome KB member came and met us just after Kaitaia and has taken it back to his place and done a quick fix for me. But I was a bit to sketchy to ride it back in the dark.....given that every bush looked like a suicidal bunny rabbit and every shadow a killer doggy.

So now I need to get back up there.....

The Reibz
11th September 2013, 11:10
I will be heading up next friday if no other offers come along. Glad you all right, did you put the bike down or just straight skull drag the dog down the road?

Whats the status of the dog? You were lucky, seen animal hits before where the bike is far from rideable afterwards...

Grashopper
11th September 2013, 11:33
Glad you're ok. And that the bike is not too messed up.
What he said, that was really lucky.

Juniper
11th September 2013, 11:40
I will be heading up next friday if no other offers come along. Glad you all right, did you put the bike down or just straight skull drag the dog down the road?

Whats the status of the dog? You were lucky, seen animal hits before where the bike is far from rideable afterwards...

From what I think, the dogs skull hit my foot and spun the dog. I stayed straight and on the bike. took a second or so to kick in (then the tears started) shifted down and stopped.

Dog I think was very dead (my boot had to be wiped of which I DID NOT DO.) very quickly. I hope.

Juniper
11th September 2013, 11:41
I didn't go back to see..... I just couldn't.

haydes55
11th September 2013, 11:45
Screw that! Glad you didn't go down. Good work keeping it upright!

The Reibz
11th September 2013, 11:50
Ouch, despite how horrible it is though it is probably the best outcome possible. Bike wasn't destroyed, your not seriously injured and neither was anyone else. Besides the dog.

I killed a couple of ducks in my car once. Totally pink misted them, felt guilty as for weeks

Akzle
11th September 2013, 12:38
hadnt planned on going to town, but i could bring it down to akl for you this arvo. Need addresses at both ends,

nerrrd
11th September 2013, 18:56
OK not expecting that from the thread title, don't feel too bad for the dog, like that ad on TV says it was him/her/it (desexed?) or you.

A lot of dogs just aren't very bright, I've been feinted at on the open road by one myself.

arcane12
11th September 2013, 20:18
OK not expecting that from the thread title, don't feel too bad for the dog, like that ad on TV says it was him/her/it (desexed?) or you.

A lot of dogs just aren't very bright, I've been feinted at on the open road by one myself.

Rabbits are worse. I came across one with a death wish in my car many years back. It ran out, saw headlights and stopped. I changed lanes to the overtaking lane, and it also moved into that lane and stopped. I moved back, it followed again, and then it was too late.

And big props Juniper for coming out of that in one piece.

Laava
11th September 2013, 20:39
Rabbits are worse. I came across one with a death wish in my car many years back. It ran out, saw headlights and stopped. I changed lanes to the overtaking lane, and it also moved into that lane and stopped. I moved back, it followed again, and then it was too late.

And big props Juniper for coming out of that in one piece.

But not big enough to knock you off a bike, as are possums. Fortunately, most dogs have the smarts to not run under your wheel.
And yes, well done to Juniper.

Juniper
11th September 2013, 23:05
Hey thanks all Some good cunt has wonderfully dropped my bike off to its mummy. Juniper and Mao are now very happy kittens!!

Tbh I don't think it really threw the bike all that much. Just felt like something slamming my foot down/back. Evendently so hard it broke the bike :-(. There was no swerving because I no time to react from when I saw it to when it impacted.

Could be because it didn't hit anywhere else on the bike?

arcane12
12th September 2013, 08:25
Hey thanks all Some good cunt has wonderfully dropped my bike off to its mummy. Juniper and Mao are now very happy kittens!!

Tbh I don't think it really threw the bike all that much. Just felt like something slamming my foot down/back. Evendently so hard it broke the bike :-(. There was no swerving because I no time to react from when I saw it to when it impacted.

Could be because it didn't hit anywhere else on the bike?

Possibly. Transfer of momentum and all that avoided. Or the fact you didn't get a chance to react, which can often turn out bad - a lot of survival instincts don't translate well to a bike.

I wonder how much your boots saved your foot from much worse damage? I assume you race boots have the steel shank in the sole?

\m/
12th September 2013, 09:08
You got off really lucky, I hit a dog last year and my bike was almost written off. Bruised my shoulder too, thank fuck I was wearing armored leathers or it would have been a lot worse.

Juniper
12th September 2013, 11:10
Possibly. Transfer of momentum and all that avoided. Or the fact you didn't get a chance to react, which can often turn out bad - a lot of survival instincts don't translate well to a bike.

I wonder how much your boots saved your foot from much worse damage? I assume you race boots have the steel shank in the sole?

I'm not sure. They don't have much flex in them. I am very thankful thati have them!!!!

Nat
12th September 2013, 15:07
I hit a dog last year too. Bike suffered a few small scrapes, I suffered a broken collar bone. Learned my lesson about target fixation etc though. I also had to wipe dog's blood off my bike. :puke:

Maha
12th September 2013, 15:30
Avoided a few dogs/sheep/hawk's over the years...I find hawks to be the worse things, they don't decide which way to fly until you're almost upon them.
Some things have hit me...bees etc and a paintball.

caseye
12th September 2013, 18:02
Better the dog than you Juniper, and good skills on keeping everything upright and under control, tears are fine, when you've finished the controlling and stopping parts, well done.
Couple of years back had a pukeko go between my front and rear wheels, small bump as rear went over top but took a while to stop the ol coal burner afterwards, feathers scorching from off the rear hide for ages before I got enough traction to brake safely.
No damage to bike or rider, but multiple puk'es over the 100 or so metre from impact, to safely stopped.

Road kill
12th September 2013, 19:10
Such waste:rolleyes:

Ya' could of took ole kuri home for dinner.

Or at lest told me where it was much sooner than this,,

They make good gloves,no sweat glands so their water proof.:cool:

Juniper
12th September 2013, 20:30
Better the dog than you Juniper, and good skills on keeping everything upright and under control, tears are fine, when you've finished the controlling and stopping parts, well done.
Couple of years back had a pukeko go between my front and rear wheels, small bump as rear went over top but took a while to stop the ol coal burner afterwards, feathers scorching from off the rear hide for ages before I got enough traction to brake safely.
No damage to bike or rider, but multiple puk'es over the 100 or so metre from impact, to safely stopped.

Hehe I was doing the stopping because of the crying. I think that was the skill.

Still has bad feelings :no: