PDA

View Full Version : Gear self selection?

browny
14th September 2013, 13:47
i have a problem, that someone may be able to shed some light on. my bike changes gear into 3rd from 2nd under power. doesnt do it out of any other gear.i thought it was gonna be a relatively easy fix, and it would be in the selector area, but seems to be ok with nothing loose. now im wondering how it can select by loading the cluster. any ideas???

AllanB
14th September 2013, 14:09
It's a semi-automatic. The way of the future?

Drew
14th September 2013, 14:19
Selector barrel "star" missing a bit...Possibly. It's certainly a weird one.

It's not the Burgman obviously, what sort of bike are we talkin about here?

pete-blen
14th September 2013, 14:43
detent spring weak... or gear dogs or engaugement slots are rounded off on the gears.. "prob a bit of both"
the detent spring is what holds the gear indexer in the correct postion..

nzspokes
14th September 2013, 14:51
Selector barrel "star" missing a bit...Possibly. It's certainly a weird one.

It's not the Burgman obviously, what sort of bike are we talkin about here?

650 Husaberg at a guess......

browny
15th September 2013, 08:25
yea its husaberg.ive checked detent spring heaps of tension there and drum star looks fine too. reluctant to open it right up to find nothing. cant see how it can do it from the inside anyway.had new bearings about 10 hrs ago,everything looked good then. ive got a spare star might throw that at it and see what happens. not nice heading into jumps with this goin on

Drew
15th September 2013, 11:09
got a 650 husaberg that changes from 2nd to 3rd gear under power,doesnt do it out of any other gear.have removed side cover and checked selector drum area cant fault anything there. heaps of tension on detent spring and drum star looks fine as well. i dont know how it can select any further in(by loading gear cluster). i did bearings about ten hrs ago and everthing looked fine then. reluctant to split it to find nothing in there, ive had no gremlins fall out with oil.any ideas would be welcome??? cheers

Isn't there already a thread about this?

Is the ratchet claw thingie returning to it's 'home' position properly on the shift to second? If it sat far enough in the upshift spot, it's possible the selector barrel could roll whenever it wants I think.

But I wouldn't excpect it to happen under load.

That's bloody weird man. Good luck, hope it's not too serious.

browny
25th September 2013, 10:25
problem found to be worn dogs on second gear not holding(for anyone who was interested)

Drew
25th September 2013, 16:52
problem found to be worn dogs on second gear not holding(for anyone who was interested)I'll say it again. That's weird man.

Usually they jump back a gear, or into neutral in that situation.