PDA

View Full Version : Colorado twistys taking a hiding

98tls
15th September 2013, 21:14
Over on the TL forum theres a few Colorado based guys shedding some tears as the best roads are being washed away...and theres more rain on the way.

scumdog
15th September 2013, 21:18
I suppose they think we don't get shit like that in NZ h Mike?

98tls
15th September 2013, 21:25
I suppose they think we don't get shit like that in NZ h Mike?

Most of em havent heard of NZ mate,those that have think we all get about in grass skirts(thanks to that stupid fucking Haka shit),apparently we are just a bigger Fiji and must all ride dirt bikes cause theres no decent roads...

Madness
15th September 2013, 22:38
That'll teach 'em for not clearing the leaves outta the grates!

jasonu
16th September 2013, 06:09
Over on the TL forum theres a few Colorado based guys shedding some tears as the best roads are being washed away...and theres more rain on the way.

They got a years worth of rain in one day.

hayd3n
16th September 2013, 07:21
looks like they built a road on a old river bed

Grubber
16th September 2013, 07:38
Most of em havent heard of NZ mate,those that have think we all get about in grass skirts(thanks to that stupid fucking Haka shit),apparently we are just a bigger Fiji and must all ride dirt bikes cause theres no decent roads...

Please don't tell them otherwise, as they will all end up wanting to come over here!:innocent:

jasonu
16th September 2013, 09:29
Please don't tell them otherwise, as they will all end up wanting to come over here!:innocent:

Not likely mate, NZ is too expensive.

unstuck
16th September 2013, 09:33
Bloody strange place to build a road.:weird:

98tls
16th September 2013, 12:18

You could say the same thing about the Buller gorge on occasions.

nallac
16th September 2013, 12:22

They took the easiest route, watch THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0d3j4zmnyY#t=719) Vid and you can see why.... Looked like a nice high speed road....not anymore...

Skip to 5+mins.

ducatijim
16th September 2013, 13:17
I'm just back from 5 weeks Buelling around the states, including covering a lot of the Colorado ruined roads in my week in the Rockies. Truly magnificent riding, don't worry bout them coming down here to ride....we don't come close to what Colorado offers for both sealed and unsealed options. ( and everyone I met there said they believed NZ was 'spectacular', as I thought their state was too) Then there's Utah if one fancies a change!!
When you see the scope of their engineering projects like say the Eisenhower tunnel, they can and will get this event sorted in a timely fashion. Like our earthquakes, everything is constructed to the best practice to cover 99.9% of foreseeable crisis, but you get a 1 in 100 year event then.........................
:facepalm:

nallac
16th September 2013, 13:24
I'm just back from 5 weeks Buelling around the states

you Bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ducatijim
16th September 2013, 18:43
you Bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah.......but.......I did get wet. Once or twice!!:sweatdrop

nallac
16th September 2013, 19:01
Yeah.......but.......I did get wet. Once or twice!!:sweatdrop

Oh ok, that makes it all better.....NOT.....

longwayfromhome
16th September 2013, 21:04
I'm just back from 5 weeks Buelling around the states, including covering a lot of the Colorado ruined roads in my week in the Rockies. Truly magnificent riding, don't worry bout them coming down here to ride....we don't come close to what Colorado offers for both sealed and unsealed options. ( and everyone I met there said they believed NZ was 'spectacular', as I thought their state was too) Then there's Utah if one fancies a change!!
When you see the scope of their engineering projects like say the Eisenhower tunnel, they can and will get this event sorted in a timely fashion. Like our earthquakes, everything is constructed to the best practice to cover 99.9% of foreseeable crisis, but you get a 1 in 100 year event then.........................
:facepalm:

Having ridden through and around Colorado numerous times, I lament with the 'muricans the fate of those glorious roads. It will take them years though to get some of the more remote spots back to prime condition... but they will - the yanks love their roads, it is why it is motorcycling heaven.

pete376403
16th September 2013, 22:25
500 people dead, more missing and they're whining about a few roads?

sil3nt
16th September 2013, 22:44
500 people dead, more missing and they're whining about a few roads?Does whining about dead people bring them back?

pete376403
16th September 2013, 22:51
Not much but it does seem a bit insensitive.

And its 5 dead, not 500 (miss heard radio news item) so that makes even less worth whining about eh?

BigAl
17th September 2013, 11:23
Not much but it does seem a bit insensitive.

And its 5 dead, not 500 (miss heard radio news item) so that makes even less worth whining about eh?

That's less than the usual nutter on a school visit.

ducatijim
17th September 2013, 15:33
And its 5 dead, not 500

With their love of building cabins in the back blocks, up canyons and alongside 'gentle' brooks, its amazing not many more were lost. I cannot relate the lovely wee stream with wading fishermen along Big Thompson Canyon rd into Estes Park that I rode, with the TV pix of that raging torrent thru that same place I saw a few days ago.
Bloody shame.

stevo2001
18th September 2013, 02:28
I have lived in Denver for the last 20 years.Colorado is a really cool State.One of the few States where the people know alot about NZ.They always ask where my accent is from, and I was amazed at how many would say sorry to hear about the Christchurch earthquake.Shame about the devastation in the mountains.Still evacuations going on,8 dead but at least the un-accounted for has dropped to 600ish.Amazing roads and riding up there with the fall colours was great.Hard to beat twisties by the coast though.

ducatijim
18th September 2013, 15:05
.Hard to beat twisties by the coast though.

Yeah? Which coast? Whose coast???

Beartooth and Chief Joseph scenic would be my US tops for road riding, oh, followed very closely by anything in Black Hills SD.:devil2:

longwayfromhome
18th September 2013, 19:30
Yeah? Which coast? Whose coast???

Beartooth and Chief Joseph scenic would be my US tops for road riding, oh, followed very closely by anything in Black Hills SD.:devil2:

I did over 200,000 km in the US and Canada by bike... the majesty, sense of distance and space and the 'big sky' atmosphere made the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway probably the equal of any country I have ever been through anywhere... the riding itself was brilliant as well... the combination was sublime.

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dustydavis.com/blogimages/chief_joseph_road_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dustydavis.com/2004/10/few-more-photos.html&h=768&w=1024&sz=299&tbnid=io1U_npYpqoDgM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&zoom=1&usg=__h8j5Hg-MbYReC8hIdytPL7A5ZwA=&docid=5ZXCcgi9rouA0M&sa=X&ei=BlU5Uon4AYiAiQf_wIBA&ved=0CDAQ9QEwAQ&dur=0

..sorry, drifting off topic, but some places on Earth are special and this is one of them.