PDA

View Full Version : Teachers - Charter Schools and National Standards etc etc

Winston001
21st September 2013, 01:37
Let me say at the outset that I respect teachers. I learned this respect when my three children began primary school and I saw the dedication and commitment primary teachers apply. Currently I have two high achievers at High School. The university gal wants to be a teacher. Go figure. ;)

Nevertheless the public are assailed by passionate and wordy rejections of any change at all in the education field. Teachers generally favour Labour but even then they make life hell for Labour ministers too. National can do nothing right.

National standards, charter schools, smaller classrooms...

So - are we the general population simply not intelligent enough to understand teaching and schools? Should we agree with what the PPTA says? - because after all, they are experts.

Discuss.

Winston001
21st September 2013, 01:39
For those who weren't paying attention, I want 1500 words on my desk by 3pm, typed double space, with examples and references illustrating why the above questions are derived by a turnip-munching paternalistic yokel.

Those aiming for excellence should include Simone De Bouvier, Germaine Greer, and Jenna Jamieson.

mashman
21st September 2013, 09:19
in a class of 20 kids there are 20 different circumstances and each student has a different set of problems

They above says it all for me. The entire education system needs to change its focus towards the education of children. If there are 20 kids with 20 different sets of problems, then we need more teachers in the class with different sets of problem solving skills. Age as a marker of ability needs to be abandoned. It doesn't matter whether the school is a private school, public school, charter school, religious school or mashy's school of truth ;), they should all be focussed on the kids.

Having said that, the after school world needs to change. However the after school world won't change to meet the needs of the education system because the fucktards who set policy and the direction of society are ramming the educational square peg into the after school world round hole in order to meet a market of fucked up ethics that go against just about everything we wish for our children. The entire education/after school world paradigm needs to change... the educational establishment matters not, it's walls and a roof.

mashman
21st September 2013, 09:22
For those who weren't paying attention, I want 1500 words on my desk by 3pm, typed double space, with examples and references illustrating why the above questions are derived by a turnip-munching paternalistic yokel.

Those aiming for excellence should include Simone De Bouvier, Germaine Greer, and Jenna Jamieson.

Title: Why the above questions are derived by a turnip-munching paternalistic yokel.
Word Limit: 1500
Name: <strike>Simone De Bouvier</strike> <strike>Germaine Greer</strike> <strike>Jenna Jamieson</strike> mashman

Stop the world, there's a small number of people that I would like to alight.

Oakie
22nd September 2013, 16:31
Should we agree with what the PPTA says? - because after all, they are experts.

Nah, they are a trade union.

Winston001
22nd September 2013, 20:11
To be honest I'm torn between viewing teachers as having an artificial view of life outside teaching, and a deep regard for the impossible job they willingly do every day.

I do think we expect too much of our schools and that education begins at home. And continues on in the home for at least 18 years and hopefully a lifetime.

MisterD
23rd September 2013, 13:53
To be honest I'm torn between viewing teachers as having an artificial view of life outside teaching, and a deep regard for the impossible job they willingly do every day.

Just because a large majority of teachers are good people, trying their best to do a very tough job does not mean that the only valid opinion on education is the one espoused by their Union.

There are definite problems in our education system but the teaching unions see any change to the status quo as a threat to their power.