PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle laws in New Zealand?

Tagger
22nd September 2013, 02:11
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a solid source to find what the do's and don'ts are with a motorcycle in NZ.

in regards to clothing (over here for instance, we have some strict laws about that), riding (lanesplitting/overtaking/...), parking, etc. etc.

would be great to get some insight.

Jelmen

Mo NZ
22nd September 2013, 05:42
Hey Tagger.
I hope you leave your spray can at home as its pretty childish and there is enough if that crap here already.:laugh:

The Law ; You need a certified helmet. That's it.

Non dumbass riders also wear riding boots and pants, gloves, and a good jacket.

Parking is the same as a car although there are usually some designated spaces in downtown CBD'S for free.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=640290259
This guy forgot his boots and gloves.

riffer
22nd September 2013, 07:14
This will help Tagger.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/motorcycle-road-code/

It's the official road law for motorcycles.

Tagger
22nd September 2013, 07:18
well, over here we are also obligated to wear long sleeves, boots and gloves already, so this dumbass is already used to that ;)

Can you park on the sidewalk ?
Can you linesplit? use taxi/buslanes?

I also ask this because some stuff over here are laws, other stuff is just generally accepted ... so i don't know how the NZ-culture reacts to these situations :)

if worse comes to worse and i get pulled over for something, i can always play "dumb tourist" offcourse :)

PS: i made this nickname when i was 15, which is 14 years ago and i'm just used to it ... please don't judge me on that :P
The only spraycans i take with me are WD40 and chainlube

Maha
22nd September 2013, 07:25
Hey Tagger.
I hope you leave your spray can at home as its pretty childish and there is enough if that crap here already.:laugh:

Tagger may make those little tags that you see at the top of a loaf of bread :confused:

Drew
22nd September 2013, 08:14
Hey Tagger.

The Law ; You need a certified helmet. That's it.

Non dumbass riders also wear riding boots and pants, gloves, and a good jacket.

Parking is the same as a car although there are usually some designated spaces in downtown CBD'S for free.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=640290259
This guy forgot his boots and gloves.
I'm in the mood for a shit fight, so you're it arsehole.

Dumbarse for not wearing boots and riding pants? Go get fucked. I choose to ride in normal jeans, and casual shoes quite often.

Drew
22nd September 2013, 08:16
Tagger may make those little tags that you see at the top of a loaf of bread :confused:

There's every chance he puts the tags inside your t shirts.

Mo NZ
22nd September 2013, 09:01
[QUOTE=Drew;1130615210]I'm in the mood for a shit fight, so you're it arsehole.:ar15::ar15:

Ha Ha LOL.
Didja get ya hand slapped by ya boyfriend last ya Dumbass.

Hows that?

AllanB
22nd September 2013, 09:14
Don't be too harsh on riders like Drew - after all when they come to grief the physical damage to them is significantly higher than if they were wearing decent riding gear and consequently get to use up some of that ACC contribution that we all get stung with.

I for one applaud him as it fucks me off thinking all that coin I shell out is not actually going back to motorcyclists.

Mo NZ
22nd September 2013, 09:42
Yeah/Nah mate. Nothing against drew.
Shoot, I just thought I would mess with him.

Oh well. Sailing postponed.

Off to get dressed my in my useless, overpriced and completely un-necessary AATATT riding gear as its looks like the rain is abating and patches of sun are about.

swbarnett
22nd September 2013, 09:51
Don't be too harsh on riders like Drew - after all IF they come to grief the physical damage to them is significantly higher than if they were wearing decent riding gear and consequently get to use up some of that ACC contribution that we all get stung with.
Fixed that for ya.

A rider with no gear but a good head is safer than a reckless cotton-wooled rider.

Drew
22nd September 2013, 10:13
:ar15::ar15:

Ha Ha LOL.
Didja get ya hand slapped by ya boyfriend last ya Dumbass.

Hows that?Actually, my boyfriend and I were out on the sidecar yesterday. Doing laps around the block at his place. Wearing only jeans and T shirts, and helmets. Safety first!

Don't be too harsh on riders like Drew - after all when they come to grief the physical damage to them is significantly higher than if they were wearing decent riding gear and consequently get to use up some of that ACC contribution that we all get stung with.

I for one applaud him as it fucks me off thinking all that coin I shell out is not actually going back to motorcyclists.If I'm going for a serious punt, I wear the gear. For a pootle or commute, jeans are fine.

Yeah/Nah mate. Nothing against drew.
Shoot, I just thought I would mess with him.

Oh well. Sailing postponed.

Off to get dressed my in my useless, overpriced and completely un-necessary AATATT riding gear as its looks like the rain is abating and patches of sun are about.When you're as good at crashing as I am, the gear becomes redundant.

Fixed that for ya.

A rider with no gear but a good head is safer than a reckless cotton-wooled rider.
Hehehe, good head.

unstuck
22nd September 2013, 10:25
AATATT riding gear as its looks like the rain is abating and patches of sun are about.

Ya big fuckin jessie, only ride when the suns out do ya? It,s nambi pambi motherfuckers like you that need all the gear anyway, cos your too fucken soft to handle a little tumble.:msn-wink:

AllanB
22nd September 2013, 11:37
Fixed that for ya.

Haha - good call. But it is like shagging without protection - eventually you'll either get a dose of something itchy or get someone pregnant.

Mo NZ
22nd September 2013, 14:16
Ya big fuckin jessie, only ride when the suns out do ya? It,s nambi pambi motherfuckers like you that need all the gear anyway, cos your too fucken soft to handle a little tumble.:msn-wink:

Did 650ks on mums day.
Rain from D-virke to Napier, which was fine. Then rain from Napier to the Taupo plateau. Bout 3 hrs in the rain.
4c over the desert and past Waiouru. great day. You bet.:niceone:

swbarnett
22nd September 2013, 14:36
Haha - good call. But it is like shagging without protection - eventually you'll either get a dose of something itchy or get someone pregnant.
But unlike unprotected shagging, whether or not you come to grief is not a lottery.

BMWST?
22nd September 2013, 14:40
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a solid source to find what the do's and don'ts are with a motorcycle in NZ.

in regards to clothing (over here for instance, we have some strict laws about that), riding (lanesplitting/overtaking/...), parking, etc. etc.

would be great to get some insight.

Jelmen

dont park on foot path.
Lane splitting isnt actually illegal here but its not expressly allowed either.Its considered overtaking so you must overtake on the right edge of the lane you are occupying.If you use the left edge of the lane you are occupying you are overtaking on the left which is illegal unless the traffic is stopped ,or you are using a different lane.MOST bus lanes are allowed to be used by motorcycles but some arent,they should be signposted as such.We have some "transit lanes" as well which are allowed to be used by motorcycles ,buses,or cars with more than 2 occupants,again their is a sign(graphic actually)

swbarnett
22nd September 2013, 14:44
MOST bus lanes are allowed to be used by motorcycles but some arent,they should be signposted as such.
In Auckland that's all bus lanes except those on the Motorways. And they're not signposted as prohibiting motorcycles.

haydes55
22nd September 2013, 15:07
Fixed that for ya.

Have you ever heard about riders with a good head who wear the gear as well?

Still don't understand your view point. Why can there only be riders who fall over in gear and riders who never crash and don't wear gear?

When I drive a car or van I still wear a seatbelt. I know I'll never cause a car crash nor will I likely be involved in a crash that I can't avoid. Doesn't mean I'm impervious to everything... like a cow jumping out of a tree onto the road in front of me. Or any other number of possible crash scenarios.

swbarnett
22nd September 2013, 16:53
Have you ever heard about riders with a good head who wear the gear as well?
Yes, me.

Still don't understand your view point. Why can there only be riders who fall over in gear and riders who never crash and don't wear gear?
I never said that. I only omitted to mention this third group.

When I drive a car or van I still wear a seatbelt. I know I'll never cause a car crash nor will I likely be involved in a crash that I can't avoid. Doesn't mean I'm impervious to everything... like a cow jumping out of a tree onto the road in front of me. Or any other number of possible crash scenarios.
As do I. Do you protect yourself against meteor strike while doing so?

I'm not knocking gear. Just the ascertion that not wearing gear by definition makes a rider more likely to suffer an injury.

haydes55
22nd September 2013, 17:24
Yes, me.

I never said that. I only omitted to mention this third group.

As do I. Do you protect yourself against meteor strike while doing so?

I'm not knocking gear. Just the ascertion that not wearing gear by definition makes a rider more likely to suffer an injury.

Yes my meteor repellent spray has worked well so far.

I think not wearing gear is not so much a death wish, more of an ignorance of risk. In an unlikely (but still possible) situation, it could be the difference between road rash and a graze. Or something more serious.

rastuscat
22nd September 2013, 20:39
Not many motorcycle specific laws.

Don't ride in cycle lanes, it's not legal throughout NZ. It's not a good idea either, but that's another debate.

Don't ride in bus lanes, unless you know the city council that installed them says you can. Some councils are okay with it, some aren't. Ones on motorways definitely not.

Don't ride like a wanker. It's Section 17 of the Land Transport (Dickhead) Act 1998. Just quoted for effect.

swbarnett
22nd September 2013, 21:47
Yes my meteor repellent spray has worked well so far.
And there are no elephants in my fridge either so my elephant repellant is obviously working.

I think not wearing gear is not so much a death wish, more of an ignorance of risk.
In a lot of cases, yes, I agree with you. In others it's a careful management of risk by means other than those that are now considered by the majority (or at least the vocal minority) to be acceptable.

In an unlikely (but still possible) situation, it could be the difference between road rash and a graze. Or something more serious.
Agreed. But who is to say how unlikely that event is and whether that risk is acceptable. Surely the only person that has this right (assuming the person is informed of the risks) is the rider themselves?

Kornholio
22nd September 2013, 21:58
Wheelies are neither big nor clever, but they look fucken cool and are legal unless you get caught :/

Tagger
23rd September 2013, 01:25
well, no point in having too much gear/no gear arguments because, as you can see... people on both sides can get headstrong and the arguments lead to nothing. For me, i was in an accent once and when i saw what it did to my gear and "not" to my skin, i tend to always wear gear when going long distances. If you don't ... then that's up to you.

Thank you so much for the replies in here. Comming from a small (mainland european) country i do cross border a lot and i notice the small differences in laws and attitudes (it's funny in a way what drawing a border can do to a culture) ... so i always find it better to inform myself.

Jantar
23rd September 2013, 05:08
I went for 3 km pootle on the DR yesterday without any helmet, gloves, jacket or boots. However I was checking the water race, and only idling in 2nd gear, so not on the road except for the distance to cross it. :cool:

unstuck
23rd September 2013, 07:24
I was checking the water race, :cool:

Who won? :innocent:

rastuscat
23rd September 2013, 08:09
Wheelies are neither big nor clever, but they look fucken cool and are legal unless you get caught :/

Bro, anything is legal unless you get caught.

swbarnett
23rd September 2013, 10:53
well, no point in having too much gear/no gear arguments because, as you can see... people on both sides can get headstrong and the arguments lead to nothing. For me, i was in an accent once and when i saw what it did to my gear and "not" to my skin, i tend to always wear gear when going long distances. If you don't ... then that's up to you.
Best summation of the argument I've seen yet.

bogan
23rd September 2013, 11:04
Splitting and parking are kind of grey areas. Splitting is fine if the traffic is stopped, or if you are in the same lane and on the right of a car, but if you go into the right side lane you are then on the left of a car and undertaking which is not legal. I think most people just do it safely and the law is not concerned. Parking has a lot to do with local council bylaws. I think in palmy parking in public areas there has to be a no parking sign or you have to have been warned before getting a ticked or something.

Jantar
23rd September 2013, 15:21
Who won? :innocent: No contest at all. I did.

Tagger
23rd September 2013, 19:00
you have to have been warned before getting a ticked or something.

That's where my innocent looking nerdy face, funny accent and international passport kick in ;)

"i know noooooothhinng"

Kornholio
24th September 2013, 11:11
Bro, anything is legal unless you get caught.

Just making sure that he was aware of that one(it's a bit of a grey area) :nono: