PDA

View Full Version : BEN TOWNLEY OFF TO USA, COPPINS OFF TO OZ

Wellyman
24th August 2005, 16:45
As said in this months KR Ben is off to the good ol US of A next year.He has got a contract to race a KXF250F for Pro Circuit Kawasaki for 2 years.

Coppins is also on a move and leaving the MX1 class for a seat in The Oceania Motocross Championship.

Well done to the boys especially Townley.

White trash
24th August 2005, 16:49
Good stuff.

The States is where the real money is in MX and SX. Surprises me that Ben didn't give the world MX1 scene another season. Especially after his promising season thus far. And Coppins too, he's been so close this year. Bit strange if you ask me.

Coyote
24th August 2005, 16:50
Why would Coppins enter the oceania championship instead of MX1? Had enough of Europe and wants to be closer to home?

Should be interesting to see Ben when he steps up to the AMA 250 class. Wonder how he would compare to Ricky and James

Matt Bleck
24th August 2005, 16:54
Coppins is also on a move and leaving the MX1 class for a seat in The Oceania Motocross Championship.

I'm not so sure about this as he has just signed back up with CAS honda.
http://www.fullnoise.com.au/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_full&news_id=1526&cfid=7238581&cftoken=19902285&dts=248200547252

Matt Bleck
24th August 2005, 16:55
Why would Coppins enter the oceania championship instead of MX1? Had enough of Europe and wants to be closer to home?

Should be interesting to see Ben when he steps up to the AMA 250 class. Wonder how he would compare to Ricky and James

Yes I remeber when Micheal Pichon was on the AMA circut, didn't really cut it, and so moved back to MX1...

Motu
24th August 2005, 17:25
Europe is where the prestige is...US is where the money is.As Kiwi's the boys have to look to their future,but I'd of liked to see Townley consolidate his MX1 statis too.

FlangMasterJ
24th August 2005, 19:53
Yeah I reckon he should stay another year and try and capture the MX1 to go with his MX2 championship.

Kawasaki must have a fair bit of dosh to entice Ben away from KTM.

Hope Ben and Josh do well.

Ivan
24th August 2005, 20:57
I think its a lie

Danger
25th August 2005, 00:06
Bens just following his dream to race in the States, and Coppins has resigned for CAS Honda for another shot at MX1. Ben will ride the SXF250 in the MX of Nations. Sebastian Tortelli is moving to MX1 on KTM and Michael Pichon has a verbal agreement to ride KTM and was seen testing on KTM this week.

charles23
25th August 2005, 08:34
I read that Josh is staying with CAS, but then again you can't always believe what you read................

Ben going to the greener pastures of the USA? well why not, Sefan is too good and Ben hasn't been able to manitain any consistancy to challenge the championship this year what with bike failure and injury, lets face it it must be pretty demoralising after the unbeatable form of last year. Perhaps afetr a year or two in the USA at the top he can come back to FIM and take command with new found confidence. I really look forward to seeing Ben take on RC, Chad, James and the others. Lets hope that Sky get a feed into the AMA for next year.

chris
25th August 2005, 10:39
BT ain't going to the USA for the money, there are one or two riders over there that he just wants to beat. It is not as though he is in his twilight years and needs a couple of good earners for his retirement, he just wants to race (and beat) the Carmichaels and Bubbas.

Fryin Finn
25th August 2005, 12:45
I think you'll find Josh is staying put with the CAS team in MX1 and competing in the Oceania champs, which is a one off event, held in Australia this year. Against the likes of Chad Reed.
Josh has talked about racing MX2 in a couple of years.
Good luck to Ben in the USA - it's old news about his likely hood of going to America but now confirmed.
If Sky dosen't broadcast the racing I'm dropping it like a hot cake. :woohoo:

Danger
25th August 2005, 19:58
I havn't seen it mentioned anywhere yet what class Ben intends to compete in. I feel it would be best for him to start in the AMA 125's (250 KXF). To think that he is up to running with the likes of Reed, Chad and Bubba in SX in the first year is a little fanciful in my opinion. Has anyone seen confirmation that he intends to compete in the AMA 250 class?

denill
3rd October 2005, 14:14
The word is, as I understand it, is that:
Ben will be riding the KX250F in the AMA SuperCross and Outdoor series. He will be based in Florida and will be under the wing of the same trainer/motivator as RC.
He could have stayed in MX1 with KTM for more money than he will get (or start with) in the States, but he is following his dream and going to USA. A gutsy young guy - as readers may remember the SERIOUS injuries he sustained in a seaon opener SX in LA, I think.
A good BT <a href=http://www.mxlarge.com/article.php?article_file=1127912444.php> READ HERE:</A>

Josh is going to compete in the '06 MX1 series for CAS Honda.

Pichon did OK in the States and was VERY competitive - but he and his old man spat the dummy big time when their French temperament got them off-side with AMA officials.

Cheers
Bill

Matt Bleck
3rd October 2005, 14:46
Pichon did OK in the States and was VERY competitive - but he and his old man spat the dummy big time when their French temperament got them off-side with AMA official

ahh, wee wee. Them French tend to get abit fiesty!!

merv
3rd October 2005, 17:17
Ben got to race RC recently and I am sure he wants to have a go at beating him, probably seeing him as the true world champion. Just because the Yanks don't bother with Europe doesn't mean they aint quick.

denill
9th October 2005, 09:09
A <a href=http://www.mxlarge.com/article.php?article_file=1128673152.php&showtopic=TOPSTORY>Recent Interview With BT:</A> that may be of interest to those following the Taupo Kid's progress.

Cheers
Bill

crazyxr250rider
9th October 2005, 14:55
old news........was in KB`er ages ago sorry guys.............

crazyxr250rider
9th October 2005, 14:56
*KR`er(damn)

Danger
10th October 2005, 07:01
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen that interview.
KR must have a time machine, as BT has only been in the USA for two weeks max, and that interview only went online a couple of days ago.