PDA

View Full Version : New soles on boots?

nzspokes
27th September 2013, 18:17
Is it worth getting boots fitted with new soles? If so whom in Auckland is the best?

russd7
27th September 2013, 18:38
just buy some new ones:scooter:

Road kill
27th September 2013, 19:17
Few modern boots can be resoled.

Most are made to be replaced,often within a year or so.

Take a good look,no screws = no resole.

hayd3n
27th September 2013, 19:27
i glued some 4mm rubber to mine , on my second set of glued soles now:niceone::niceone:

kinger
27th September 2013, 19:30
My Daytonas went back to Daytona.
Never been happy since they came back.

danchop
27th September 2013, 19:32
just buy some new ones:scooter:
new ones arent as good as old ones though

Theantidote
27th September 2013, 19:44
as an out of work shoe maker from wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back the only people i recommend for resoles would be gemmells in auckland city area...i understand they still own the bizness and still by all accounts give 1/2 a shit.
nearly all modern footwear is manufactured for a short life span and cannot be repaired out side of its original factory environment. but take it to the monkeys at mr minute and they fuck it up for you no worries...
good luck...i suggest some duct tape and cardboard...or buy yourself some new ones...
wife found on tardme some old school mot boots in perfect nick for a buck fiddy....they are so freakin awesome on the bike...nothing new school about them...should last me about a couple of decades at least....

george formby
27th September 2013, 21:31
I need to get my Sidis done, Gemmells it is. Would cost me 6 hundy + to replace them.

Oakie
27th September 2013, 22:41
Yep. Go to a real cobbler if you can find one. My late fahter-in-law was a cobbler and he did magic with footwear. I'm embarrassed to admit how long he kept one pair of my shoes alive for.

My last pair of boots were resoled a couple of times before being replaced. Cost about $70 I think but worth it.

nzspokes
27th September 2013, 22:54
as an out of work shoe maker from wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back the only people i recommend for resoles would be gemmells in auckland city area...i understand they still own the bizness and still by all accounts give 1/2 a shit.
nearly all modern footwear is manufactured for a short life span and cannot be repaired out side of its original factory environment. but take it to the monkeys at mr minute and they fuck it up for you no worries...
good luck...i suggest some duct tape and cardboard...or buy yourself some new ones...
wife found on tardme some old school mot boots in perfect nick for a buck fiddy....they are so freakin awesome on the bike...nothing new school about them...should last me about a couple of decades at least....

Will give Gemmells a try then. Ta.

Macontour
27th September 2013, 23:57
Cols Cobble Shop at 315 Dominion Rd, Mt Eden has done awesome work for me in the past, repairing Army boots, dress shoes and boat shoes....and at a price that made me say to him after one job that it was hardly worth him opening the till! He replied that he had been in business for many years and he was making a living so he must be getting his pricing right.

One time I pulled up outside his shop after he had set the alarm and locked up and was walking towards his car. He saw me, asked me if I needed shoe work done and then went and opened up, unset the alarm and served me!!

Top guy, great service.

Moi
28th September 2013, 09:24
+1 for Col's Cobble Shop... :first:

Everything the man above said is spot-on!

Trade_nancy
28th September 2013, 10:01
Few modern boots can be resoled.

Most are made to be replaced,often within a year or so.

Take a good look,no screws = no resole.

Sorry but that is crap. Glue was invented a long time ago and any half decent cobbler will glue on a new sole. I had a set of boots done and it cost $75. lasted me 3 years of riding before the sole wore through. The glue lasted.

F5 Dave
28th September 2013, 10:12
they are put together with glue in many places, just have to know what doing. Local chap here (biker) did some soles onto of my soles of mx boots to get a bit more leg height. Lasted for a couple of years before I gave them to a mate who is still using them many years later and the dirt it a hard environment. (Place opposite countdown for any Hutt munters like me).

nzspokes
28th September 2013, 13:31

Looks like hes just got on FB!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cols-Cobble-Shoppe/632837270080782?fref=ts

rastuscat
29th September 2013, 19:37
Gemmels used to supply boots to the MoT guys in Auckland.

The lace up ones were called Road Knights. Probably not PC now that the Popos took over, and Road Knights is a trade marked biker brand.

nzspokes
19th October 2013, 19:48

Dropped them in today, seems like a decent dude. Will update once I get them back.

nzspokes
24th October 2013, 20:35
Got my boots back from Cols Cobble shop. Very happy with the job. Looks tidy and has what looks to be a better tread than new. He did what he calls a half sole where he replaces the front of the sole up to the heal. Means these boots will go another turn. I have since bought a new pair that popped up on TM but these fixed ones will be spares and track day boots.

Cost was $46. Well worth it.

george formby
24th October 2013, 20:39
Got my boots back from Cols Cobble shop. Very happy with the job. Looks tidy and has what looks to be a better tread than new. He did what he calls a half sole where he replaces the front of the sole up to the heal. Means these boots will go another turn. I have since bought a new pair that popped up on TM but these fixed ones will be spares and track day boots.

Cost was $46. Well worth it.

Eggcellent, got any contact details?

nzspokes
24th October 2013, 20:43
Cols Cobble Shoppe
315 Dominion Rd, Mt Eden
09 638 7331
col.the.cobbler@gmail.com

Fast turnaround to. Dropped them on Sat and ready Tuesday arvo.

Sharry
24th October 2013, 21:04
They also raised three of my shoes for $35 each.
My hip replacement left my leg 14mm longer so I have to get the shoes on the other leg raised. ACC will only pay for two a year. They expect a girl to only wear two pairs of shoes! :weird: Impossible, so I had to pay for 3 more.
I'm just working out which ones I want to be done next :yes: