PDA

View Full Version : Computer advice needed please

Blackbird
24th August 2005, 20:08
Is anyone aware of a recent significant update change to Zone Alarm Pro? Mine auto downloads so I probably wouldn't notice but a couple of weeks or so ago, we started getting all sorts of warning messages that we haven't previously experienced - see the attached example. At this stage, I'm inclined to think it's Zone Alarm rather some sort of infection as I run the firewall, Norton Antivirus on auto update and do regular scans. I also use anti-spyware.

Does anyone get similar alarms? I don't seem to be able to kill them.

Cheers

Geoff

Dafe
24th August 2005, 20:15
What is this spamfighter program located off your program files folder?
I've never heard of this before?
If you do so have such a folder, I would strongly suspect this before suspecting Zonealarm.

That address looks totally screwed. Why is your OutlookExpress linking off from spamfighter. It shouldn't.

Antallica
24th August 2005, 20:28
A quick googling didn't show up anything that suspicious about the message.

SPORK
24th August 2005, 20:37
AFAIK, it's nothing sinister, it's just ZA making sure you want that program having access to the net.

But holy crap I love Zone Alarm Pro, I feel naked without it. It's logo is so reasurring...

crashe
24th August 2005, 20:48
I have Zone Alarm 2.6 version on cos its FREE but not Zone Alarm PRO... as its costs.

ZA 2.6 is great and had no worries....
But I have heard those who have ZA Pro can have all sorts of problems..

SPORK
24th August 2005, 20:53
I have Zone Alarm 2.6 version on cos its FREE but not Zone Alarm PRO... as its costs.

ZA 2.6 is great and had no worries....
But I have heard those who have ZA Pro can have all sorts of problems..
Only if you pay for it...

Blackbird
24th August 2005, 20:59
What is this spamfighter program located off your program files folder?
I've never heard of this before?
If you do so have such a folder, I would strongly suspect this before suspecting Zonealarm.

I just picked that as an example as it happened to pop up as I was writing the thread but funny you should mention it as I've just uninstalled Spamfighter to see what happens. It's a product which was on a freebie disk from PC World magazine. It wasn't all that effective, picking up maybe 30% of spam.

Will report back in a day or two, thanks for the interest and comments. :Punk:
Geoff

twinkle
24th August 2005, 21:21
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's just zone alarm being a pain in the ass most likely. :buggerd: A new version came out just recently and it now comes up with these alerts pretty much every time a program tries to access another program.

If you think you can trust the program just check the little box there, click allow and eventually the alerts will stop coming up (once zonealarm has learned which programs to trust).

I think there is an option which turns these alerts off somewhere, haven't got zonealarm on me at the moment so can't tell you how to do it though.
I guess they felt they needed to look like they were actually doing something so they brought out all these 'improvements', bunch of arse really.
You've now got zonealarm antispyware installed on your computer most likely too. :spudflip: :Pokey:

SPman
24th August 2005, 23:17
Put the latest update to ZA pro and it fucked the computer! Had to roll back and reinstall the earlier version. Dont know quite what happened but - to scared to reinstal the update now!!

inlinefour
25th August 2005, 02:09
But I am now running McAfee ISS. Same sort of deal but only comes up once until I've told it what want to do. I would not recommend removing the software unless your quite happy to run the risk of your computer becoming infected and unuseable. I know what its like having to reformat a computer and now don't even admits to others that I can do it. Hours of waiting for loading of software followed by downloading updates off the net. Thank goodness for SP2!

Blackbird
25th August 2005, 07:32
Thanks Twinkle, at least I know there have been some recent updates now. I hope the software does "learn" which bits to trust as it's a right royal pain at the moment.

Cheers All

Geoff