PDA

View Full Version : Camera smart phone, thoughts?

george formby
2nd October 2013, 11:30
I've been waiting for a smart phone with a good camera before I up grade. Not interested in apps, social networking etc but do like to have a camera handy for those "get em now or not at all" shots. My old Sony camera is still doing sterling service & is bullet proof but I rarely carry it, phone & camera take up too much pocket space.

Been thinking about the Nokia 1020 (http://www.mobicity.co.nz/nokia-lumia-1020-smartphone.html#.UktZClNTrWg) great specs but you can't replace the battery. Don't really give a fig about windows, android etc

The other is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom (http://www.mobicity.co.nz/samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-open-box-special.html#.UktaTVNTrWg)

That open box special is almost half price...

Any hoo, Nokias have always given me great service. I looked at an S4 yesterday & it was very flimsy, a Nokia 520 is like a brick out house in comparison.

So, thoughts from the well informed?

pzkpfw
2nd October 2013, 12:07
I can't comment much on cameras, but in general would say:

1) It's quite likely that before you need to think about changing the battery, you might well be upgrading the phone again anyway. (And even then, you may well find a youtube video that shows you how to replace the "non-replaceable" battery. (I did, for my Nexus 4 (not that I've needed to yet.))).

2) Windows Phone has about 5 to 10% of the market. I'd not be buying a Nokia mainly for that reason. Sucks to be the loner.

mashman
2nd October 2013, 12:13
Get into the shop and give the guy a grilling. Ain't no substitute for playing with them and finding out their capabilities.

iYRe
2nd October 2013, 15:19
I have a Samsung and a Nokia Lumia 920 (the one before the phone in question).

If you can tolerate windows (win 8 mobile isnt bad, but its not as good as IOS and a million times worse than android) and its lack of apps (yes, you need apps to do funky stuff with the camera), then it has by far the best camera. Nokia have always done good cameras.. The low light pics, and so on are just wickedly good.

I wish I had the nokia camera on my android phone so I could use Camera 360 to take the photos (_the_ best camera app.. ever..).

Warr
2nd October 2013, 16:16
I have a Samsung and a Nokia Lumia 920 ..........
I wish I had the nokia camera on my android phone so I could use Camera 360 to take the photos (_the_ best camera app.. ever..).

I have a Nexis 4 Android (4.3, 4.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2)
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064
Processor: Quad core, 1500 MHz, Krait

Camera
8 megapixels
Flash:LED
Features:
PopupAuto focus, Face detection, Smile detection, Exposure compensation, ISO control, White balance presets, Burst mode, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR), Panorama, Scenes, Effects, Voice activation
Camcorder:
1920x1080 (1080p HD) (30 fps)
Features:
Video calling
Front-facing camera:
1.3 megapixels

Camera does lots more than I have figures out how to use :)
But the Panorama & 360 function is sweet !

iYRe
2nd October 2013, 16:35
try camera 360.. its art in your hand :P

nzspokes
2nd October 2013, 18:37
try camera 360.. its art in your hand :P

What are your thoughts on the Samsung S2? Ive been thinking of picking up a mates second hand one.

Erelyes
2nd October 2013, 19:01
I've been waiting for a smart phone with a good camera before I up grade. Not interested in apps, social networking etc but do like to have a camera handy for those "get em now or not at all" shots. My old Sony camera is still doing sterling service & is bullet proof but I rarely carry it, phone & camera take up too much pocket space.

Been thinking about the Nokia 1020 (http://www.mobicity.co.nz/nokia-lumia-1020-smartphone.html#.UktZClNTrWg) great specs but you can't replace the battery. Don't really give a fig about windows, android etc

The other is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom (http://www.mobicity.co.nz/samsung-galaxy-s4-zoom-open-box-special.html#.UktaTVNTrWg)

That open box special is almost half price...

Any hoo, Nokias have always given me great service. I looked at an S4 yesterday & it was very flimsy, a Nokia 520 is like a brick out house in comparison.

So, thoughts from the well informed?

S4 zoom looks pretty good

I have an S3 Mini and it takes pretty good pics (see pics below which are low res conversions ofc). Absolutely love it as a smartphone. I used to be a huge Nokia fan, but fact of the matter is the modern phones won't bounce like the old ones. If you want something like that you can get fairly snazzy leather cases for cheap online from ebay... like, $6 AUD incl shipping (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/US-Flag-Leather-Flip-Magnetic-Cover-Case-Pouch-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-i9300-/181178464492?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2a2f13f8ec&_uhb=1). Should be safe from dropsies with one of those. I use mine as a wallet too (no the magnets don't cause any problems with my cards, I make sure barcode isn't in line with the magnet all the same)

Til I got my S3 I was a total smartphone noob. I found the Windows OS clunky and boring looking. Android was easy to use and easy to customise. Didn't want to be an iSlut.

If you want zoom that S4 camera looks ok. Otherwise, S3 mini or similar :yes:

Edbear
2nd October 2013, 19:38
I used to swear by my Nokia, then had a great time with my iPhone 4. I would still have it, but Vodafone made a stuff up and offered me a compensation voucher. I had everything I could need and the only thing I could spend it on was a New phone. After much head scratching and consultation, I got a Samsung S4. In short, it's brilliant, and I love it.

george formby
2nd October 2013, 20:48
41 mp on the Nokia a bit overkill?
The Android/windows thing does not faze me, I've played with both & the Nokia is pre loaded with all I need, it's a phone & a camera, that's what I want to do, take snaps, talk & text. Not enough roads in NZ for sat nav & I don't give a fig about twatting or the humidity & gravitational pull of my underpants.
But still, 41 mega pixels, that's, like, heaps!
Oh, my mate dropped his 520 onto concrete while he was here, post imbibement. Not a scratch.
Talking myself into this, aaaaaaaaaaargh consumer whore!

Marmoot
2nd October 2013, 21:00
iphone 4s camera is quite good.
Plus the apps (games etc) in Apple store is relatively cleaner and more variety than in the android market. Even the free ones.
My wife has one, and I enjoy playing with it (among other things she has that I like to play with).

If you do decide to buy Android phone, don't forget to have a look at Pirelli Diablo Superbiker app :)

george formby
2nd October 2013, 21:33
iphone 4s camera is quite good.
Plus the apps (games etc) in Apple store is relatively cleaner and more variety than in the android market. Even the free ones.
My wife has one, and I enjoy playing with it (among other things she has that I like to play with).

If you do decide to buy Android phone, don't forget to have a look at Pirelli Diablo Superbiker app :)

I'm ye olde fashioned, I want a tool not a toy, no offence. I'm faithful to a mere handful of sites on the interwebs:whistle: The sort of thing which would sway me is a built in tire pressure gauge or nice wee socket set. Something which can take much better photos & videos than my current camera & also allows the missus to tell me it's time to come home is all I'm after. Both phones have optical zoom which is a bit special. I'm teetering towards the high end Nokia...... well, until the time comes to put me hand in me pocket, that's a lot of dosh. Tire's, new rims, zorst, 1/2 a trials bike etc.
Haven't had a splash for years, slow adopter. I'm no further ahead.

Headbanger
2nd October 2013, 21:52
iphone 4s is quite good?

compared to what?....poo on a stick?

I hate mine, especially the camera.

And due to a lot of my reports requiring photos I went out and bought a cheap camera with my own money purely because the photos from the iphone 4 were below what I would term an acceptable standard.

If only work had given be a Samsung, sure the camera still wouldn't have been great but at least the phone itself wouldn't suffer from a mountain of suck.

Headbanger
2nd October 2013, 22:02
. I'm teetering towards the high end Nokia.......

What do the reviews have to say about it?

Before smart phones I had a nokia phone (the Carl Zeiss lens was a big selling point) that took better photos then any phone I have since owned, However the delay in taking the photo made it pointless.

I'd suggest you don't dismiss the capabilities of a smart phone until you live with one for awhile, They may surprise you.

And if you were to buy a smart phone, the smart money is on the S4.

Gremlin
2nd October 2013, 22:31
(the Carl Zeiss lens was a big selling point)
The only problem was that it became like Kawasaki sticking Ninja on a 250cc motorbike. There were plenty of crappy quality Carl Zeiss gear made to a budget.

As for phone... you seem on track with what you need. As you have limited needs, I'd also suggest looking at one model back type gear, especially if you're buying outright. S3 (no optical zoom) for example, is cheaper because anyone who's anyone now wants an S4. Nothing wrong with the S3 and was their brand new flagship middle of last year. Plenty of functionality for someone used to old phones.

george formby
2nd October 2013, 22:47
What do the reviews have to say about it?

Before smart phones I had a nokia phone (the Carl Zeiss lens was a big selling point) that took better photos then any phone I have since owned, However the delay in taking the photo made it pointless.

I'd suggest you don't dismiss the capabilities of a smart phone until you live with one for awhile, They may surprise you.

And if you were to buy a smart phone, the smart money is on the S4.

Basically the reviews say WOW camera, no apps, yet. The Nokia 920 is edged out by the Samsung zoom, the 1020 basically trumps everything at the mo.
Yup, that S4 deal, open box, is half the price but pre loved. Put an S4 together out of the box yesterday, I got the impression Samsung are trying to save money on the amount of plastic they use. I also know zoom lenses are battery heavy & fragile. Sliding internal lenses are not.
It's $500 difference. Gaaaaah! More beer.

geoffc
3rd October 2013, 14:00
I bought a HTC One about six months ago off trade me (not the latest released model ) & find it has a great camera. Great smart phone too. Worth considering.

iYRe
3rd October 2013, 14:15
What are your thoughts on the Samsung S2? Ive been thinking of picking up a mates second hand one.

They were a decent phone when they were new.. If you cant afford a new phone something like that would be fine..

Marmoot
3rd October 2013, 19:48
iphone 4s is quite good?

4 and 4s are different.
Relative to other phone cameras, 4s is relatively good.
Not the best, but good.

george formby
3rd October 2013, 20:05
Welllll, I've come to a compromise. Oy tink $$'s v tech = Nokia Lumia 925.

wysper
4th October 2013, 09:17
ok, check here before buying.
http://www.mobicity.co.nz/nokia-lumia-925.html#.Uk3eVobQlxY

I haven't bought from them yet but will probably buy me and my wifes next phone from them. Prices seem pretty good.
Only won't if I end up in some shop pawing over their phones and asking a billion questions. Then I will buy from the retailer.
Reason I came across them was they had the Goolge Nexus 10 tablet I am considering. Can't seem to find that in a physical store.

BMWST?
4th October 2013, 09:50
sony xperia z may be worth considering dust and water resistand 13 mp partly ruggedized.I have the xperia go find it ok,first smartphone so no real judge.The thing with a smartphone of course is you can post pictures to the web straight away if you want.If you dont really want to do that i reckon a camera is still a better bet.

george formby
4th October 2013, 09:55
sony xperia z may be worth considering dust and water resistand 13 mp partly ruggedized.I have the xperia go find it ok,first smartphone so no real judge.The thing with a smartphone of course is you can post pictures to the web straight away if you want.If you dont really want to do that i reckon a camera is still a better bet.

Read a review of the Xperia z, only issue was they had to re-boot it to use the camera a number of times, not ideal & no doubt not typical. My camera is a sony & it's been fantastic. Been round the world a few times & still going strong. The Z is on the list.

Yup, been looking at mobicity, very keen pricing but bare in mind that the big price quoted may be ex gst. Asked a few questions in that wee pop up box & had answers back in minutes. Sminky. That Samsung S4 zoom open box deal is a steal.

Edbear
4th October 2013, 11:06
Read a review of the Xperia z, only issue was they had to re-boot it to use the camera a number of times, not ideal & no doubt not typical. My camera is a sony & it's been fantastic. Been round the world a few times & still going strong. The Z is on the list.

Yup, been looking at mobicity, very keen pricing but bare in mind that the big price quoted may be ex gst. Asked a few questions in that wee pop up box & had answers back in minutes. Sminky. That Samsung S4 zoom open box deal is a steal.

I've still got my now very old SonyEriccson K750i, that I waited two weeks for when they first came out. It is still on its original battery and still works fine. I keep it as a second back-up phone and for visitors. The screen is too small for my aging eyesight now, but it was a great phone then and it's still good.

Maha
4th October 2013, 15:14

A lot to choose from for sure, I have the Xperia M on my list along with the S3 Mini

Xperia M http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/personal/phone-details/sony-xperia-m-black/our-picks
Full list http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/personal/phones/our-picks

BMWST?
4th October 2013, 16:15

you should go to a shop and check them out...i dont think i would like an s4 they just seem too big to slip in your pocket.My xperia go is about the size of an ipod touch(twice as thick) wouldnt mind it a wee bit bigger in hindsight.I find i check a couple of websites with it but ussually leave the email and serious browsing to the laptop.

awa355
16th October 2013, 13:26
One issue I have with my phone camera is the reflection on the screen when trying to frame the picture. In sunlight it is damn hard to see past the mirror image of myself when taking a snap. I went into the Telecom shop and bought a matt finished stick on cover but that hasn't made any difference.
The phone is a Motorola Defy, about 3 years old, still works fine. If I replace it I want a decent quality camera ahead of a browser function in the next phone. I rarely ever use the browser funtion. Just phone, texting, and camera.

Anyone got a solution for the reflection problem?

This might be interesting for anyone trying to compare ph cameras.

http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=1&idPhone1=3514&idPhone2=5322&idPhone3=5665

Edbear
16th October 2013, 15:04
One issue I have with my phone camera is the reflection on the screen when trying to frame the picture. In sunlight it is damn hard to see past the mirror image of myself when taking a snap. I went into the Telecom shop and bought a matt finished stick on cover but that hasn't made any difference.
The phone is a Motorola Defy, about 3 years old, still works fine. If I replace it I want a decent quality camera ahead of a browser function in the next phone. I rarely ever use the browser funtion. Just phone, texting, and camera.

Anyone got a solution for the reflection problem?

This might be interesting for anyone trying to compare ph cameras.

http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=1&idPhone1=3514&idPhone2=5322&idPhone3=5665

I think it's a general issue with all phones. My Samsung Galaxy S4 is a great phone and I don't miss the iPhone 4 I had. Very easy to use with a 13MP camera and a host of features that are very handy. Get a good cover though and a protective screen sheet. They are not as durable as others might be.

SMOKEU
16th October 2013, 15:49
Have a look at potential phones on GSMArena (http://www.gsmarena.com/). You can compare camera quality between different phones on that site.