PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ebay fairings Yamaha R6 2003

blonky
11th October 2013, 14:06
So I decided it was time for a colour change on my R6 and ebay seemed to have some pretty cheap fairings for just over $500NZD delivered in the colour of my choice. I'm sure everyone knows that ebay and fairings don't go together, but I though what the hell

The retailer was from Hong Kong, called 'Hit Hot Club'
Link to my purchase http://www.ebay.com/itm/151021583916

So with the exchange rate changing it was more like $520 NZD once I had actually paid. Then it took 1 week for them to make and paint them and about 4 days to arrive in NZ. They included a new windshield, tank pad, foam heat shields and wheel stripes

So they looked pretty good at first, I could only find one run in the paint in an unnoticeable area.
Fitting them was another story however:
The bolt holes weren't drilled correctly, most were too small and many didn't line up correctly, and the front wheel guard didn't fit at all :angry2:

In the end I must have spent 6 hours modifying, redrilling holes and grinding down parts that didn't quite line up. The front wheel guard I just couldn't get to fit so painted my existing one to suit

Results:

Summary: It looks amazing with the new fairings and for $500 not bad; I did need the front guard and tank painted locally but that was only another $200.
Would I buy again? Probably not with all the swearing and dicking around modifying and fitting it.

Suggestion: Try 'Neverland-USA' on ebay; their fairings are proper injection moulded and look identical to OEM. A full fairing set from them was $600 NZD but is worth the extra

F5 Dave
11th October 2013, 14:38
. . . The bolt holes weren't drilled correctly, most were too small and many didn't line up correctly, and the front wheel guard didn't fit at all :angry2:

In the end I must have spent 6 hours modifying, redrilling holes and grinding down parts that didn't quite line up. . .
I'd kinda expect that having seen local quality of fibreglass back in the 90s as par for the course. If the end result is straight & sound then you've done well.

Hit Hot Club. Classic.

The Reibz
13th October 2013, 14:59
So I decided it was time for a colour change on my R6
So you dropped it then?

Atleast you learnt something very important. "Nothing is a straight bolt on"

blonky
14th October 2013, 08:35
So you dropped it then?

Atleast you learnt something very important. "Nothing is a straight bolt on"

Ahaha I did drop it years ago but has long since been fixed. I always wanted a candy apple red R6 or R1 and it was cheaper to buy all new fairings in the right colour than to have the old ones painted.

Funny thing is I bought fairings from a different ebay trader that were identical to OEM (Neverland) and fit perfectly, this trader not quite what I expected but I guess I saved $100 over the other seller and cost me 6 hours of time

HenryDorsetCase
14th October 2013, 08:49
Ahaha I did drop it years ago but has long since been fixed. I always wanted a candy apple red R6 or R1 and it was cheaper to buy all new fairings in the right colour than to have the old ones painted.

Funny thing is I bought fairings from a different ebay trader that were identical to OEM (Neverland) and fit perfectly, this trader not quite what I expected but I guess I saved $100 over the other seller and cost me 6 hours of time

I'd pay the extra hundy in a heartbeat. Just saying.

reggie1198
16th October 2013, 22:01
Just doing the maths

$520 + $200 for local painter + 6 hours @ $20 an hour = $840

Vs

$600 for the US and maybe 2 hours fitting = $640

The US option seems ok, there is a crown up here in Kerikeri called (something) composites, they'll do gel coat moulded fairings for bikes. The big cost is making the original mould

reggie1198
16th October 2013, 22:02
Bike looks sweet BTW

Grubber
17th October 2013, 06:20
Funny thing! I was going to get a spare set for my race bike a while ago but i'm thinking i should take some time and spend some extra dosh now so i don't end up in the pits drilling holes.:headbang:

blonky
17th October 2013, 09:11
Just doing the maths

$520 + $200 for local painter + 6 hours @ $20 an hour = $840

Vs

$600 for the US and maybe 2 hours fitting = $640

The US option seems ok, there is a crown up here in Kerikeri called (something) composites, they'll do gel coat moulded fairings for bikes. The big cost is making the original mould

Bike looks sweet BTW

You are missing the part in the calcs where the tank still needs to be painted locally regardless @ $170 (extra $30 for the guard) but fair point, time is money. Most of the time was on the guard but if I had given in earlier then I could've saved 2 hours...

Cheers, always wanted one in this colour and even weeks later I can't stop staring at it :cool:

blonky
17th October 2013, 10:01
By the way if anyone is interested; the other company I bought from Neverland-USA is now called Neverland-AUS, both are Hong Kong based.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fits-2003-Yamaha-YZF-600-R6-03-YZF-R6-Injection-ABS-Bodywork-Fairing-Kit-/281024341762?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416e5b2702
I purchased only the front cowl from them but it was a perfect fit, identical to OEM and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Very impressed with their work - almost as if they bought OEM moulds from Yamaha
Looking at the photos of the insides they look good, edges are clean and holes look correct for the other parts, particularly the rear cowl which needed the roughness around the edges and screw holes filed down.
I am happy to recommend them but remember I only ordered 1 part, the rest of the kit may or may not be as good

reggie1198
18th October 2013, 15:31
Good on ya for waiting and having the patience when that close to having your desired finished product, forgot about the tank painting. Deffo worth the wait