PDA

View Full Version : Introduction (tias)

tias
14th October 2013, 15:30
Hi all!

About time I introduced myself as well, been a member here since 2006 it seems (had to check). But never got very far with riding bikes, I have a 1972 Honda Z50 K2 in bits in my mancave and that's about it.

But last Saturday I finally got off my ass and did my BHS, this week doing the theory and then it's off to buy a bike (after I sell my car).
Which means I'll probably start having a lot more questions for you fine folks here.

So, I'm Tias, which is short for Mattias, I'm 34 and I come from Belgium, arrived here 8 years ago. And one of the first things I thought while driving all over NZ was that this is a great country to travel through on a motorbike (even with the kiwi car drivers).

Good to be here!

Cheers,

Ts.

fridayflash
14th October 2013, 15:38
gidday tias, congrats on passing the bhs...get stuck into that theory bit and you'll be away :first:
what kinda bike you gunna get? my advice as always is a gn250 for a beginner, but of course theres plenny other great options out there

good luck

the oldstuff
14th October 2013, 15:48
G'day mate, welcome. Its not the Kiwi drivers you gotta worry about, keep an eye on the Asians.

Don't get a GN250 - theres too much open road out there to explore. I recommend a dual purpose bike such as a DR650 so you can see the real country.

Akzle
14th October 2013, 15:52
my advice as always is a gn250 for a beginner, but of course theres plenny other great options out there

yes. Other great options, like anything except a gn250.

tias
14th October 2013, 15:56
Cheers guys!

Not worried about the theory at all, formality :)

Yeah, did the BHS on a GN125 and really don't like the way they look.
In a way I should probably more look at a good reliable bike to learn on, but I'm a bit worried I'll be stuck with it for too long. So I want one I like the look off.

There's one on Tardeme (not sure what the policy here is for posting links to trademe) at the moment from Red Baron Auckland that I really like but it might be a little too powerful to start with.
It's a 1997 Suzuki ST400 Tempter. Normally not a real Suzuki fan, always been biased towards Honda and Kawa, but I like this one.
Thoughts?

Maha
14th October 2013, 15:59
This one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-638362845.htm
Very nice indeed.

unstuck
14th October 2013, 16:05
Gidday, and welcome. That ST looks cool.:niceone:

Akzle
14th October 2013, 16:10
Normally not a real Suzuki fan, always been biased towards Honda and Kawa, but I like this one.
Thoughts?

suzis win ten kinds of shit. H*ndas are for homos. Kwikasfukis... Take or leave.

Post all the tm shit you want unless youre selling a 750 with an 1100 in it and have the search tag '250' on your auction. Then youd just be a dick.

Get whatever bike gives you the biggest wood. Then get a bigger one.

tias
14th October 2013, 16:10
That's the one!
Do you think that would be too much to handle for a beginner? I've ridden bikes before but nothing this bike, more like souped up 85cc ones... So nothing this heavy.
I'm 172cm and weigh 68kgs...
But it would look cool in black, some clipons, rear fender gone,... :dream:

tias
14th October 2013, 16:13
Hahahah akzl! Crack up. Good advice, I like it.

Akzle
14th October 2013, 16:23
That's the one!
Do you think that would be too much to handle for a beginner? I've ridden bikes before but nothing this bike, more like souped up 85cc ones... So nothing this heavy.
I'm 172cm and weigh 68kgs...
But it would look cool in black, some clipons, rear fender gone,... :dream:

its 2 gn strapped together.
Hardly the most enlightening bike.
Its not the size, its how you use it.
Dont ride like a c*nt and youll get along fine.
Until another aucklander drives into you

tias
14th October 2013, 16:29
True that. Cheers.
Might go check it out this weekend.
Thanks for the nice welcome guys, much appreciated!