PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Dayrona 650 Starting Issues

bomma
14th October 2013, 18:04
Alright as per the title I have a 2005 Daytona 650 and am having issues. I bought the bike recently and rode her up from Napier without any issues. I've been on a few little pootles to work, the Blue September charity ride, taken her to work etc and she's been mostly without issues.

One fine day she had trouble starting at work so I replaced the battery. Sweet. Then I decided I'd change the oil and oil filter. Everything went fine. Then a couple of weeks ago, I left work and she was going fine. Hopped on the motorway and got till the St Lukes off-ramp and she was still going fine. I got off at the Great North road off-ramp, look down and the display has turned off, including the tachy. I look down intermittently and can see some flickering on the display but then it died out completely. The "Check Engine" light is now on.

Had her on the paddock stand since, realised that cos I didn't strong arm the bolt that seals the oil in, there's a slight leak. I've topped her up with oil since, probably lost about a litre from the look of it but I don't see how considering that over a week of sitting in the garage without use, she's dripped out all of 10ml if that.

Since she was last ridden, when I turn the bike on I can hear her do all the checks and display comes on fine. Try the ignition and literally nothing happens. After the oil change, i flicked her into gear, pulled the clutch in and rolled her around and now the display doesn't seem to want to stay on.

Was going to take her in to see a mechanic this coming weekend but thought I'd post up here and see if anyone has any thoughts.

Cheers,

bomma

SVboy
14th October 2013, 20:54
Could I suggest going to an owners forum in case it is a known fault. If all systems are cycling incl fuel pump then no starter-kill switch? Sidestand switch. Display intermittent-corrosion/bad connection in main plug between loom and instrument panel? Check battery voltage-possibly a reg/rec issue and bat is flat?

Owl
16th October 2013, 06:35
What SVboy says!

Also try jump starting the bike from another battery source. If it starts, check the charging voltage with a multimeter. I'm not up with the play on that model, but I wouldn't be surprised if reg/rec or stator has died. Just replaced the stator on my triple this week.

Blackbird
16th October 2013, 14:37
Could I suggest going to an owners forum in case it is a known fault. If all systems are cycling incl fuel pump then no starter-kill switch? Sidestand switch. Display intermittent-corrosion/bad connection in main plug between loom and instrument panel? Check battery voltage-possibly a reg/rec issue and bat is flat?

The owners forums are good and the USA Triumph forum is particularly useful. I'm a member and the first search threw this up: http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-and-workshop-talk/139807-2005-triumph-daytona-650-starting-problems.html

Hope it's of help!

bomma
20th October 2013, 21:08
The owners forums are good and the USA Triumph forum is particularly useful. I'm a member and the first search threw this up: http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-and-workshop-talk/139807-2005-triumph-daytona-650-starting-problems.html

Hope it's of help!

Thanks for all the help boys! I've taken the battery in to get charged as I don't have a charger at home (it read 10.2 volts). When I get that back I'll try her again. I'm also considering just push starting her and trying the heat cycle thing.

A bit annoyed at myself but hey, you live and you learn :sweatdrop

Cheers,

b.