PDA

View Full Version : 1996 BMW R80GS Basic

mephistopheles
17th October 2013, 15:48
The last of the Airheads for sale- only 3003 ever made apparently. The Basic has a different rear subframe, a WP rear shock, ‘peanut’ style valve covers, tubeless spoked rims and a blue frame. Originally equipped with a centre stand only but this has engine crash bars which means it has a side stand too.

It rides really well- the first time I actually rode it was when I bought it- I picked it up and rode 5 hours straight back home- the bike could have just kept going all day. Made in 1996, but registered in 1998. According to the last owner, apart from regular servicing, the gearbox has been freshened up at some stage. The timing chain has apparently been done too- apart from the usual valve gear noise, the engine is nice and quiet. There are a few spares- air and oil filters, 2x carb overhaul kits, a spare pair of repaired rocker covers, new throttle cables, a spare speedo and so on. It has a stainless front brake hose and a small rear carrier. There is slight oil seepage at the rear of the gearbox but I haven't investigated it yet.

Popular opinion has it that the 800cc engine is the nicest to use- enough performance and smoother than the 1000cc models.

I bought it earlier this year with the intention of keeping it but unfortunately the prospect of a house purchase means selling it to free up some funds. Any enquiries, 021 1178410.

Brian d marge
19th October 2013, 01:57
them good bikes them are

Stephen

fridayflash
20th October 2013, 09:07
me want it!!!!!!!!
wanna swap for a dr650, gs1100, a couple of michael jackson cassettes...