PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1

G4L4XY
19th October 2013, 16:28
Updated to 8.1 after seeing they will be adding a start menu, sounded rather exciting. 3.5GB later and being forced to use a Microsoft account, all done remotely via android and teamviewer so it was ready for me once I got home hehe.

Checked out the start menu, OMFG are you serious Microsoft you worthless POS. All it does is take you right back to the freakin' tiles, wow thats just pointless.

Now I don't really mind windows 8, sure I think it's gay as fuck but I can use it without any problems. I like how you just start randomly typing (on the tile screen) and it begins a search, so many people who have no idea how to work win8 are dumbfounded by that little feature.
Does anyone have a clue how to remove the pictures that show as a slideshow on the pictures tile? I've removed all pictures in the picture folder and yet they still show on the tile and I don't know how to get rid of that. I've turned off the slideshow feature to get around it though.

Still I'm glad I've got win7 on mah desktop.

Gremlin
19th October 2013, 19:35
When 8.1 was announced, they did mention the start button would simply launch the metro interface.

Clearly Microsoft didn't listen / understand (no surprises there) when people said they wanted the Start button back... :facepalm:

I figure, if you try to turn Win8 back to look like Win7, it's failed. Thanks, I'll keep Win7. The whole wireless network setup and management on Win8 is painful as well, Win7 one much easier to use.

pete376403
19th October 2013, 20:03
Multiple machines? Multiple 3.5gig downloads...
http://www.hngn.com/articles/15206/20131018/windows-8-1-available-for-free-upgrade-what-you-need-to-know-before-you-switch.htm

Going out of their way to piss people off. I'll stick with W7 as long as possible.

kevfromcoro
19th October 2013, 20:53
yeah.. I just bought a new laptop. running windows 8.
its a pain in the arse. pops up all sorts of shit I don't want,,,
not sure wot I had before,, but it was a lot more user friendly than this.
think it was vista. it was ok......

Hitcher
19th October 2013, 21:13
Download Start8. It costs less than $5 and it's worth every cent.

There's a bunch of stuff that Microsoft just doesn't get nowadays. MS Office is another casualty, particularly Word. Dear god.

Brian d marge
19th October 2013, 21:35
must resist ....must resist .......:shutup:..:corn:

Stephen

SPman
19th October 2013, 23:15
Download Classic Shell. It's free. It has a start button that starts to wherever you want. and all the standard windows themes. We use it on all the comps at work with W8 and I've got it on the W8 machines at home.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Indiana_Jones
20th October 2013, 13:36
I'll stick with W7 as long as possible.

^^ What he said.

-Indy

Winston001
20th October 2013, 20:52
Am happily browsing on with XP. Nice and stable and a gazillion experts out there.

My son has a flash MSI laptop with Windows 8. Every time I go to check it for spyware and routine maintenance I nearly throw it out the windows (see what I did there :devil2:). Hate it hate it hate it. Still have no idea how to quickly access programs etc and the bloody search icons on the left only come up after repeated attempts to take the cursor off screen at the bottom left. Whats with that for pitys sake??

Akzle
20th October 2013, 21:33
xp still fucktional. I will never own win8.

avgas
20th October 2013, 22:37
xp still fucktional. I will never own win8.
Did you pay for xp? or thief it?

avgas
20th October 2013, 22:39
Does anyone have a clue how to remove the pictures that show as a slideshow on the pictures tile? I've removed all pictures in the picture folder and yet they still show on the tile and I don't know how to get rid of that. I've turned off the slideshow feature to get around it though.
Delete all the hidden files in the pics folder. Its one of them. Used to be called "icons" now I think they call it "Desktop.ini". The restart the machine and see what happens.

Big Dave
20th October 2013, 23:07
Recently installed Windows 8 on one of my laptops. Works well for me. Like it.

p.dath
21st October 2013, 07:07
I've done the Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 8. One word.

Disappointed.

avgas
21st October 2013, 09:32
I've done the Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 8. One word.

Disappointed.
Yep.
Same thing with IOS7 also unfortunately.

Turns out IT is now officially screwed.

Big Dave
21st October 2013, 10:00
I quite like IOS7 too. I find the control center particularly useful.

Gremlin
21st October 2013, 10:11
I quite like IOS7 too. I find the control center particularly useful.
You're no fun at all...

The companies have forgotten that they gained their market share from usability. They keep changing things (partly for the sake of it - mostly?) making it harder to use...

Big Dave
21st October 2013, 10:27
You're no fun at all...

The companies have forgotten that they gained their market share from usability. They keep changing things (partly for the sake of it - mostly?) making it harder to use...

I don't think they are harder to use.
Just different. Took 10 seconds sussing it and get on with the job.

I find 8 quite satisfactory, but I'm using it as a writing and book-keeping machine, not for maintaing a network.

SMOKEU
21st October 2013, 12:56
Download Classic Shell. It's free. It has a start button that starts to wherever you want. and all the standard windows themes. We use it on all the comps at work with W8 and I've got it on the W8 machines at home.

Exactly. I don't understand why people keep bitching and insisting on using a legacy OS just because they're too lazy to spend a couple of minutes installing ClassicShell. I'd never go back to 7 after using 8 with ClassicShell.

wysper
21st October 2013, 15:30
Delete all the hidden files in the pics folder. Its one of them. Used to be called "icons" now I think they call it "Desktop.ini". The restart the machine and see what happens.

I feel the best part of this advice is "The(n) restart the machine and see what happens" not "Then restart the machine and volila the images you don't want are gone!!

Akzle
21st October 2013, 17:04

no. Id guess its more of a regirtsy hack.
Im assuming you can still use that hoary faggotry known as regedit. Delete things in the 'namespace' tree

Akzle
21st October 2013, 17:09
Exactly. I don't understand why people keep bitching and insisting on using a legacy OS just because they're too lazy to spend a couple of minutes installing ClassicShell. I'd never go back to 7 after using 8 with ClassicShell.

no dick.
7 itself will eat half my hdd and twice my ram. And thats just to boot, let alone do anything.
Ill acceed i havent played with 8. It looks gay. Im not into gay shit.
And please, WHY get 8 if youre going to make it look like xp??
Hell, my xp looks like 95. Hows that for fucking progress.

geoffc
21st October 2013, 17:22
I use Windows 8.1 preview with Start8. Like what it is & how it works for me. I have a Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabook which is designed around a touch screen. Love it.

Akzle
21st October 2013, 20:47
I use Windows 8.1 preview with Start8. Like what it is & how it works for me. I have a Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabook which is designed around a touch screen. Love it.

youd get rfid chipped, wouldnt you? So you dont have to carry a wallet, noone could steal your phone/pc/car... Ahh. Technology..

Mental Trousers
21st October 2013, 21:08
Clearly Microsoft didn't listen / understand (no surprises there) when people said they wanted the Start button back... :facepalm:

I figure, if you try to turn Win8 back to look like Win7, it's failed. Thanks, I'll keep Win7. The whole wireless network setup and management on Win8 is painful as well, Win7 one much easier to use.

Microsoft have quite a history of trying to force the market to their vision of how things should be. That's partly why every second version of Windows is shit - they release it with some great new feature that'll take over the world then have to quietly ditch it for the next version and go back to a slightly more traditional feature set.

They're really stubborn too. The new Start button is a point in case. The single biggest complaint was the lack of a Start button so they put one back in, except it doesn't work like the traditional Start button, it takes you to the shit Metro interface. I'm betting that next they'll make the Start button will bring up a miniature Metro interface next.

Brian d marge
22nd October 2013, 02:52

sweet as no problems

didn’t cost a penny

all good here

DOH

fk fk fk ....was going to resist but kicking a bully when hes down ... oh come on just one ...one kick ya cant judge me on that !

Stephen

Hitcher
22nd October 2013, 08:18
Although the PC and office applications may be "dying" as the world apparently moves forever onwards to mobile devices, there will be a strong core of users in and around businesses that will still need desktop apps, compatible files types, servers and EDMS environments and all of that associated palaver, for some years yet.

If one is using a desktop equipped with a keyboard, one does not need a touch screen and all of that swipey/fly-by screen shit. Windows is called windows for a reason -- it has a history of allowing users to have several windows open, or connecting via the bottom toolbar icons, so that they can seamlessly move either their attention or content from one to the other. Windows 8 has dispensed with all of that, with apps launching only in a full-screen space, incapable of being re-sized or easily transitioned between unless one is using a third-party app like Smart8.

While Windows 8 may work on a Windows phone, that looks like it's a go-nowhere piece of frippery too, as the juggernauts of Android and Apple role relentlessly onwards, crushing the shit out of former mobile behemoths like Nokia and Blackberry, and starving newcomers (whether owned by Microsoft or not) of any oxygen and interested developers.

My advice to Microsoft is to stick to their knitting, and to return to their 2003 suite of office applications and start again, hopefully with a bit of user testing this time.

BoristheBiter
22nd October 2013, 08:38
I don't think they are harder to use.
Just different. Took 10 seconds sussing it and get on with the job.

I find 8 quite satisfactory, but I'm using it as a writing and book-keeping machine, not for maintaing a network.

+1

Once I had figured out all the controls on W8 it has been fine.

Why do people call for the waaaambuance when they upgrade then complain it's different.
If you don't want to change don't upgrade.

Now Chrome that is the biggest problem just slow the fuck down on everything, quicker my arse.

Gremlin
22nd October 2013, 10:32
If one is using a desktop equipped with a keyboard, one does not need a touch screen and all of that swipey/fly-by screen shit. Windows is called windows for a reason -- it has a history of allowing users to have several windows open, or connecting via the bottom toolbar icons, so that they can seamlessly move either their attention or content from one to the other. Windows 8 has dispensed with all of that, with apps launching only in a full-screen space, incapable of being re-sized or easily transitioned between unless one is using a third-party app like Smart8..
Let's not forget that multi-screen is even more likely now (and started around a decade ago in XP - at least for me), and that full screen app doesn't like that much. Plenty of clients have dual screen, I use triples at work and home. Being able to run 20+ windows at once is usual for me.

Then there's the brick wall between metro and normal Windows. Setup an email account in the metro app, can't see it outside in normal Windows. Mozilla to the rescue, I installed Thunderbird for the friend (with limited needs) and issues with this and that working together were all resolved... 2nd time I'd ever suggested Thunderbird to someone, but I can see that increasing...

Akzle
22nd October 2013, 20:50
Being able to run 20+ windows at once is usual for me.

what you need are sometmotherfucking workspaces. Cue some motherfucking linux. I think most of them do it, but fedora is badassest.

SMOKEU
23rd October 2013, 09:08
what you need are sometmotherfucking workspaces. Cue some motherfucking linux. I think most of them do it, but fedora is badassest.

Fuck workspaces, just log into the next terminal or open up a new tab in the terminal.

Gremlin
18th September 2014, 19:03
Time marches on... I just installed Win8.1 today on my work laptop :crybaby: However... it's dual booting with Win7, which will remain my main OS, while Win8 will be for testing along with all software versions for it. We've put out a few Surfaces in the last couple of months, and too many questions are coming back "How do I?". So much for a fancy tablet, they're not using their desktops/laptops any more, so suddenly I'm being asked for the whole suit of apps including PBX software etc :crazy:

Gotta test all that, plus some oddities around access to them from printers and suchlike for scanned docs. Still, I "had" to have a bigger SSD to handle 3 partitions, and it's faster :D Next year I'll replace Win8 with Win9, as that's now slated for release next year (fark, 8 was launched in 2012! so it's actually in keeping with the 3 year cycle)

I'm betting that next they'll make the Start button will bring up a miniature Metro interface next.
Yup, looks likely dammit: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/3496959/windows-9-release-date-price-features-threshold-uk-30-september-event/

cs363
18th September 2014, 19:17
We're using Windows 8.1 Pro on almost all the machines at work and have no problems. We have users aged from early 20's right through to 60+ and none have an issue using it, though they all have one thing in common: http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php it's free and it works. Makes it almost indistinguishable from Windows 7.
The other thing I've found with Windows 8.1 is that the search function on the charms menu is by far your best friend if you've used previous versions of Windows and know what things are called, makes it a breeze to find stuff.

This is however not to be taken as an endorsement of any sort for Microsoft! Bunch of arseholes...

My 2c, take it or leave it.

Mental Trousers
19th September 2014, 12:22
I'm betting that next they'll make the Start button will bring up a miniature Metro interface next.
Yup, looks likely dammit: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/3496959/windows-9-release-date-price-features-threshold-uk-30-september-event/

I must've been pissed when I wrote that, it looks more like something Shaun wrote.

Microsoft just can't admit they're wrong. The Win7 Start menu was the most popular version of the Start menu on Windows ever. Trying to change the way people do things every couple of years makes nobody happy. It's why Windows alternates between shit and excellent.

Winston001
19th September 2014, 12:54
Thanks cs363, just downloaded it to try.

I have been sticking with W 8.1 so far to force myself to learn Metro but mostly avoid it. Using a laptop and no touch screen.

cs363
19th September 2014, 20:17
Thanks cs363, just downloaded it to try.

I have been sticking with W 8.1 so far to force myself to learn Metro but mostly avoid it. Using a laptop and no touch screen.

No worries, I'll be interested to see how you find it.
The Metro thing is arse IMHO, just Microsoft trying to be Apple. OK I guess if you are used to Apple products or tablets/smart phones that are similar concepts but if you're like me and have been used to using earlier versions of Windows on a PC or laptop then it's a pain in the butt.

Microsoft needs to learn that it's not all about touch screens etc. Despite what they may think there's still a huge bunch of customers using PC's and laptops that were quite happy with the old familiar Windows navigation. I do like the faster/fresher aspects of 8.1 once you get rid of all the BS that Microsoft thought we wanted...

Gremlin
19th September 2014, 21:21
The Metro thing is arse IMHO, just Microsoft trying to be Apple. OK I guess if you are used to Apple products or tablets/smart phones that are similar concepts but if you're like me and have been used to using earlier versions of Windows on a PC or laptop then it's a pain in the butt.
Clearly Microsoft wanted to bring everything together to make the experience easier between platforms. Clearly they completely misunderstood Programming 101 (or maybe UI Design) where you design something understanding the platform it will be delivered on. A 5" touch screen is completely different to a 24" monitor 300mm or more away from you controlled by keyboard and mouse.

Remember of course they now want to release a new OS every 3 years, otherwise Software Assurance (or whatever they called it this week) is less attractive. Making it the same as the previous one means there is nothing new. However, they missed the productivity class that would have told them changing the way things are done constantly, ruins productivity.

I think they're still deluded enough to believe people buy their products to play with them (not get work done).

That said, is there anyone more stupid than those currently erasing contacts/pictures/video in order to make space for iOS8? :facepalm: (Ok, those queuing for the latest release of Windows comes close).

cs363
19th September 2014, 22:27
Clearly Microsoft wanted to bring everything together to make the experience easier between platforms. Clearly they completely misunderstood Programming 101 (or maybe UI Design) where you design something understanding the platform it will be delivered on. A 5" touch screen is completely different to a 24" monitor 300mm or more away from you controlled by keyboard and mouse.

Remember of course they now want to release a new OS every 3 years, otherwise Software Assurance (or whatever they called it this week) is less attractive. Making it the same as the previous one means there is nothing new. However, they missed the productivity class that would have told them changing the way things are done constantly, ruins productivity.

I think they're still deluded enough to believe people buy their products to play with them (not get work done).

That said, is there anyone more stupid than those currently erasing contacts/pictures/video in order to make space for iOS8? :facepalm: (Ok, those queuing for the latest release of Windows comes close).

Too true. Makes you wonder what world some of these people live in.
And it's not just Microsoft & Apple, so many big corporates, ad agencies and so on seem to be living in a completely different world to the one that my friends, associates and I inhabit.

Worse still, they seem to get paid exorbitant amounts of money for pumping out this shite whilst the average bloke is working his arse off to survive...mutter, mutter, grumble.... this is starting to turn into an episode of Grumpy Old Men, lol.

(For those that haven't had the pleasure, here's some random samples: https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Grumpy+Old+Men&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&gfe_rd=cr&ei=eAQcVNLGEqiN8QfvnIHYDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=Grumpy+Old+tv+series&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB&tbm=vid )

imdying
22nd September 2014, 12:18
That said, is there anyone more stupid than those currently erasing contacts/pictures/video in order to make space for iOS8? :facepalm: (Ok, those queuing for the latest release of Windows comes close).Not providing a Micro SD card slot?

pzkpfw
22nd September 2014, 13:01
Clearly Microsoft wanted to bring everything together to make the experience easier between platforms. Clearly they completely misunderstood Programming 101 (or maybe UI Design) where you design something understanding the platform it will be delivered on. A 5" touch screen is completely different to a 24" monitor 300mm or more away from you controlled by keyboard and mouse. ....

Remember Windows CE based PDA's, where the Windows desktop, complete with start button, was put on devices with QVGA 3.5" screens?

Seems Microsoft forgot.

Gremlin
22nd September 2014, 15:37
Remember Windows CE based PDA's, where the Windows desktop, complete with start button, was put on devices with QVGA 3.5" screens?

Seems Microsoft forgot.
Windows CE is still on devices being sold :laugh: The all in one headunits out of China are one example. Mostly hidden, but to adjust settings and stuff, it's there in the background.

I do remember the iMate devices. Yeesh, we've come a long way (and never gone back to Windows OS mobiles)

Akzle
23rd September 2014, 06:23

Seems Microsoft forgot.

i had one. (win 3.1 mobile?) an htc some shit. with a stylus. on the cdma.
it fucking worked. spreadsheets and shit (i know phones do now, but this was then) and fair snappy for the probably 386 cpu the cunt had.
full qwerty keybd. msn messenger (o yea!)
so much nicer than palm pilot. be nice if it'd had a sim, i'd probably still use it.

avgas
23rd September 2014, 06:46
i had one. (win 3.1 mobile?) an htc some shit. with a stylus. on the cdma.
it fucking worked. spreadsheets and shit (i know phones do now, but this was then) and fair snappy for the probably 386 cpu the cunt had.
full qwerty keybd. msn messenger (o yea!)
so much nicer than palm pilot. be nice if it'd had a sim, i'd probably still use it.
Google imate
They did one with a sim. Can still get battery packs for it.

WinCE / Mobile is still a production environment - those parking ticket machines, atm's and other shit still runs on it.

Akzle
23rd September 2014, 08:30
Google imate
They did one with a sim. Can still get battery packs for it.

WinCE / Mobile is still a production environment - those parking ticket machines, atm's and other shit still runs on it.

you mean imate.co.nz?

hrm....

imdying
24th September 2014, 13:16
Yup, just sold another 800 devices running CE.

/edit: Being used in primary industries. Lots running around in courier vans too.

Big Dog
26th September 2014, 14:56
I had an HP PDA I bought off a mate. Ran for 18 months and sold it for what I paid. That's value.

Had I not needed the money I never would have until it died.
Brilliant for wifi access to email spreadsheets web etc. Or play g back training vids on lunch. Had this bizarre little app that ran in the background unless you turned it off that collected all the e-business cards off any BT device it encountered. Spooky when you don't even pair and it just starts ingesting stuff.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Gremlin
8th October 2014, 22:59
Today I wanted to hit/hurt Microsoft (well, more than usual).

Set up the local account on a Microsoft Surface, plus all software, VPN, network drives blah blah all via "advanced" desktop. Delivered to customer. Customer wants to use cool apps on Metro screen, demonstrate to clients. Oh wait, it wants a Microsoft Account. Ok, enter all the details...

Final screen says switch to Microsoft Account (ie, you now login via Microsoft account, not local account). Options are Next and Cancel. Cancel cuts out the entire wizard and you can't use the Apps.

Seriously? Who approves/tests the crap Microsoft puts out? I need the local account to be active due to a number of configs for business. More reading and testing required, I might be able to link the Microsoft account to the local one... argh :facepalm: Further testing will need to be done on a domain account on another Surface... :crybaby:

Akzle
9th October 2014, 05:27

Set up the local account on a Microsoft Surface, plus all software, VPN, network drives blah blah all via "advanced" desktop. Delivered to customer. Customer wants to use cool apps on Metro screen, demonstrate to clients. Oh wait, it wants a Microsoft Account. Ok, enter all the details...

Final screen says switch to Microsoft Account (ie, you now login via Microsoft account, not local account). Options are Next and Cancel. Cancel cuts out the entire wizard and you can't use the Apps.

Seriously? Who approves/tests the crap Microsoft puts out? I need the local account to be active due to a number of configs for business. More reading and testing required, I might be able to link the Microsoft account to the local one... argh :facepalm: Further testing will need to be done on a domain account on another Surface... :crybaby:

:nya:
. .

pzkpfw
9th October 2014, 07:44

Yeah, I have that issue on my work supplied Windows 8.1 Laptop. Domain account off the local AD; but for some stuff like getting my Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 rigged up, and running Metro apps (about 1 out of 500,000 that I want) I needed a "Microsoft Account" so to avoid having yet another login/password I used my own.

I forget exactly how (sorry, makes this whole post a bit useless) but it is possible to use a Microsoft Account on a one-by-one basis with Metro apps off the store; you don't have to switch the whole thing over. Of course, it still means the whole abortion runs half arsed. Or, more half arsed than Windows 8.x was to start with.

I'll see if I can remember ...

Big Dog
9th October 2014, 09:49
IIRC I used compatibility options to set run as for business apps as a temp work around. You should still be able to log in to the local account using .\username.
From memory if you do that it prompts you for login to each app from metro.

Personally I hate the idea of handing over all your logins to Microsoft. I get why it helps with tabletised apps, just not desktop apps.

Big Dog
9th October 2014, 09:50
Most of those apps that are not MS are available outside of metro / market.

Gremlin
9th October 2014, 10:43
Problem fixed itself (or got worse, time will tell). Get called today, Apps are working... how? Now logging in with a Microsoft account, and now I need a password for my emails? <_<

For anyone that needs to know (or cares), Microsoft actually removes the local account and turns it into a Microsoft account, ergo, you'd have to set up another local account from scratch then link to Microsoft account to probably get it working smoothly. You can use local accounts, and the device will handle multiple accounts... but fark, after all these years, the usability of them has now fallen off a precipice.

Don't forget that using a Microsoft account means that it's soooo smooth and Microsoft just syncs all your data/setup between your devices... you've handed your data to Microsoft and who knows how secure that is.

I only finished the setup on Tuesday, Wednesday it was put into the users hands (in Welly) and today the setup has altered in quite impressive fashion :facepalm:

pzkpfw
9th October 2014, 11:37
See: "Sign into each app separately instead"

Here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9527-windows-store-sign-different-microsoft-account-windows-8-a.html

That seems to have worked for me, for some stuff, without "too much" integration of accounts. (Still all a big pain.)

Gremlin
10th February 2015, 10:48
It takes a special kind of person to mess around with Shut Down, aka, turning off your computer.

It appears Microsoft wanted 8 to look faster, so simply turned Shut Down into a hybrid hibernation. So for all those that thought 8 was so much faster when booting than 7... no, it's just Microsoft tricking you.

The details: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

How do I know? Well, a user with a laptop walks into their office, plugs it in (power and network), but will the damn thing see the network printers? Deleting the printer and re-scanning also finds nothing until you restart it, then it's as happy as Larry (and any existing printer starts working fine). Over time troubleshooting it, imagine my surprise (after teaching them specifically to shut down) that Task Manager is still showing 5 days run time when they told me they shut down this morning trying to get printing working.

Thanks Microsoft :angry2:

Big Dog
11th February 2015, 12:42
It takes a special kind of person to mess around with Shut Down, aka, turning off your computer.

It appears Microsoft wanted 8 to look faster, so simply turned Shut Down into a hybrid hibernation. So for all those that thought 8 was so much faster when booting than 7... no, it's just Microsoft tricking you.

The details: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

How do I know? Well, a user with a laptop walks into their office, plugs it in (power and network), but will the damn thing see the network printers? Deleting the printer and re-scanning also finds nothing until you restart it, then it's as happy as Larry (and any existing printer starts working fine). Over time troubleshooting it, imagine my surprise (after teaching them specifically to shut down) that Task Manager is still showing 5 days run time when they told me they shut down this morning trying to get printing working.

Thanks Microsoft :angry2:

Add a shortcut to desktop "shutdown -f -t 0"
Run by double click it turns off but the power supply keeps humming over even if all other lights are gone.
Change the properties to run as admin and the whole thing goes.

Dear MS, Want faster boot up take the fucking splash screens out of the boot up sequence. Unless we are complete fucking
Morons we already known we bought a windows OS and there are better ways to find out what version we are running.
While your at it stop making aero the default and instead tidy up your fonts.
Don't just circumvent one of your own recommended trouble shooting steps and the green option of actually powering down.

Gremlin
11th February 2015, 13:24
Add a shortcut to desktop "shutdown -f -t 0"

Dear MS, Want faster boot up take the fucking splash screens out of the boot up sequence. Unless we are complete fucking
Morons we already known we bought a windows OS and there are better ways to find out what version we are running.
The -f is for force, which ideally you shouldn't use all the time. You also need to specify r or s for restart or shutdown.

I don't think the splash screen actually slows it down much. I've put a newer SSD into my laptop and it doesn't finish playing the win7 splash screen any more...

Big Dog
11th February 2015, 18:22
Was just for the purpose of difference.
Depends what you do day to day. If I have been scripting or multi server managing SQL from the console all that happens is the cmd window closes, some other processes stop, usually including explorer then nothing. No pop up, no dialogs just nothing. Even if I close all windows first.

And not everyone can afford SSD.

I'm not terribly fond of hardware solutions to software problems.

awa355
16th February 2015, 17:31
Going to hijack this thread as my query doesn't warrant a thread. My laptop runs windows 7. Never given any trouble, but lately when I click on the Google Chrome icon I get two tabs opening, both showing the same homepage. Must be a simple task to reset but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Big Dog
16th February 2015, 18:01
If you have no personalisations your worried about losing reset to factory defaults. There is a button on the menu that comes up when you use right click the sprocket. Or google it if you are using a different version to me.

In the strings page from left clicking the sprocket is a home page, it sounds like you have 2 listed that both point to google.

Big Dog
16th February 2015, 18:01
Not at a PC so can't give you exact steps.

Winston001
16th February 2015, 18:31
Going to hijack this thread as my query doesn't warrant a thread. My laptop runs windows 7. Never given any trouble, but lately when I click on the Google Chrome icon I get two tabs opening, both showing the same homepage. Must be a simple task to reset but I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sounds like your Chrome settings now say reopen with two Homepage tabs . You should be able to change that to a single tab in Settings (click on the sprocket thing). Or set to default

Is this a real problem though? In Firefox I normally have 15 tabs or more, all of which reopen when FF is restarted.

Akzle
16th February 2015, 18:56
15??

n00b.

oh fuck you jentard you fucken jew blouse.

can't attach shit even!!
what a vagina.

Gremlin
16th February 2015, 18:57
Damn hijackers, it's not even related to Win8! :crazy: It's actually not even related to Win7, as it's the browser.

As teh cute puppy has intimated, browsers can open multiple windows when you start it, and this can be setup by you. For Chrome, click the 3 horizontal lines in the top right, then Settings. Second category "On start-up", you likely have the 3rd option ticked "Open a specific page or set of pages. Set pages"

Click the set pages, and there you can add one. To review the existing, click on Use current pages and when you mouse over each line there is an X on the right hand side.

Alternatively, in the On start-up section, just click the first option "Open the New Tab page" if you only want to open the one tab.

Gremlin
16th February 2015, 19:00
Is this a real problem though? In Firefox I normally have 15 tabs or more, all of which reopen when FF is restarted.
Yeesh, leave FF open with that many too long and you'll be over 1GB in memory... damn usage hog.

You can also scroll wheel click on a folder in the bookmarks toolbar to open the entire folder of tabs, or just right click and select the option.

awa355
16th February 2015, 20:58
Went into settings as Gremlin advised and cured the problem.

Now back to whatever it was that this thread is about:done::done:

Akzle
16th February 2015, 21:33
:whocares:

Headbanger
7th March 2015, 00:30
fuck me dead, 1 GB of memory usage?

If it were 1995 that would really fuck with your 486......

Akzle
7th March 2015, 07:27
fuck me dead, 1 GB of memory usage?

If it were 1995 that would really fuck with your 486......

i dont think they invented GB until a bit later on...!

oh how far we've come.

jim.cox
7th March 2015, 07:42
Is Windows a Virus?
---------------------------

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1.They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

2.Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as
they do so - okay, Windows does that.

3.Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay,
Windows does that too.

4.Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with
valuable programs and systems. - Sigh.. Windows does that, too.

5.Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too
slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Windows does
that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental
differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running
on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and
they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

Akzle
7th March 2015, 07:52
Is Windows a Virus?
---------------------------

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1.They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

2.Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as
they do so - okay, Windows does that.

3.Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay,
Windows does that too.

4.Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with
valuable programs and systems. - Sigh.. Windows does that, too.

5.Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too
slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Windows does
that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental
differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running
on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and
they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

rbjiafp!

10mfchar