PDA

View Full Version : Jake Lewis Wins 2013 European Junior Cup

The Chow
21st October 2013, 02:39
The only rider two win three races in the series , and it was nerve racking at this round. WELL DONE A KIWI WINS AGAIN IN EUROPE.

New Zealand's Jake Lewis is the 2013 PATA European Junior Cup champion after a masterful display in the final race of the season earlier today. Taking his third win of the season , the only rider to do that.

Starting from 14th, the Kiwi was soon in the leading bunch and by the start of lap 2 had eased his way into the lead.
With eight riders bunched together trading places at every given opportunity, Lewis controlled the race with a maturity that far outweighs his 18 years as he responded immediately to any challenge made at the front.

The group behind kept up an intense level of pressure but in the run in to the flag after a race which had a capacity Spanish crowd on their feet it was Lewis was crowned the winner by 0.036s ahead of local hero Augusto Fernandez who claimed second position overall in the championship standings with today’s result.

Britain’s Josh Harland ended his season in the best possible way with a fine ride to 3rd and thus completed the podium.
Italian riders Michael Canducci and Kevin Manfredi were 5th and 6th respectively, while Spanish wildcard Mika Perez claimed an impressive 6th across the line.

James Flitcroft (Great Britain), Javier Orellan (Spain) and Hungarians Peter Sebestyen and Richard Bodis completed the top ten.
Miguel Aranda (Spain), Ilya Mykhalchyk (Ukraine), Sabrina Paiuta (Brazil) and Stefan Hill (Great Britain) completed the point scorers.

Jake Lewis – 2013 Champion: “I can’t believe it. I knew I had to give it my all from the word go and that’s what I did. I’d like to thank everyone that helped me this year, especially my dad as I wouldn’t be here without him.”

Fellow Kiwis Sam Croft finished 19th , Connor London 22nd and Wild Card Tyler Lincoln 27th in the 32 bike feild. Connor London was the only other Kiwi to score points in the series at Round 7 in France.

Top three points : Jake Lewis (New Zealand) 101 Points , Augusto Fernadez (Spain) 91 and Robin Anne 72.
Race Result Round Eight of the Pata European Junior Cup- Jerez Spain.
1. Jake Lewis (Jake Lewis Racing) Honda CBR500R 16'22.440
2. Augusto Fernandez (DS Junior Team) Honda CBR500R 16'22.476
3. Joshua Harland (Easy Barber Racing) Honda CBR500R 16'22.738
4. Michael Canducci (Colors Experience) Honda CBR500R 16'22.741
5. Kevin Manfredi (Newtown Trasformatori Srl) Honda CBR500R 16'22.757
6. Mika Perez (Honda Spain) Honda CBR500R 16'22.765
7. James Flitcroft (Nova Caravans) Honda CBR500R 16'22.842
8. Javier Orellana (Europfoods) Honda CBR500R 16'23.229
9. Peter Sebestyen (World Management) Honda CBR500R 16'25.534
10. Richard Bodis (Sparta Motorsport) Honda CBR500R 16'25.640
11. Miguel Aranda (Aranda 77) Honda CBR500R 16'25.840
12. Illya Mykhalchyk (Wind Racing Team) Honda CBR500R 16'31.709
13. Illan Fernandez (Evo Kids Racing) Honda CBR500R 16'33.001
14. Sabrina Paiuta (LS2 Helmets Racing Team) Honda CBR500R 16'33.681
15. Stefan Hill (Team Michrome) Honda CBR500R 16'37.259
16. Riccardo Filippini (Nineteen Racing Team ASD) Honda CBR500R 16'38.106
17. Ali Adriansyah Rusmiputro (PT National Helicopter) Honda CBR500R 16'44.349
18. Marcel Schultheiss (ADAC Würtemberg) Honda CBR500R 16'46.732
19. Sam Croft (White Ribbon New Zealand) Honda CBR500R 16'46.818
20. Robin Anne (Anne Formation) Honda CBR500R 16'47.073
21. Stinius Viking Odegard (Team Stinius Viking Racing) Honda CBR500R 16'47.673
22. Connor London (WILSport Management) Honda CBR500R 16'55.415
23. Chris Kosan (MCJ Motorsports) Honda CBR500R 16'55.525
24. Jaimie Van Sikkelerus (Vakgarage Akersloot) Honda CBR500R 16'55.989
25. Alex Wisdom (Cads Racing) Honda CBR500R 16'56.035
26. Amelie Demoulin (JFA Performances) Honda CBR500R 16'59.539
27. Tyler Lincoln (Process Controls) Honda CBR500R 17'07.435
28. Blayes Heaven (Team Amadora) Honda CBR500R 17'20.585
29. Charly Eberhard (RSM Junior Team) Honda CBR500R 17'23.422
30. Josue Moreno (Box 77) Honda CBR500R 18'10.596
RT. Valter Patronen (Honda Racing Finland) Honda CBR500R 14'41.889
RT. Jesper Hubner (MH Entreprenad) Honda CBR500R 10'18.698

http://michaelhillpromotions.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/EJC_29_7255.jpg

SWERVE
21st October 2013, 05:44
CONGRATULATIONS Jake Lewis.
Many of us believed in him and have been rewarded with a fantastic display of skill & determination.
Proving that our youngsters are as good as the worlds best, even with our geographical and financial restrictions.
Lets hope that this is just the start for many more to follow in his footsteps around the world.
LEGEND - JAKE LEWIS:first:

Kickaha
21st October 2013, 06:14
Wll done Jake, what an outstanding effort, hopefully it leads on to bigger things :2thumbsup

RobGassit
21st October 2013, 06:26
Such a marvelous achievement and so exciting for Jakes future and that of NZ racers as well.:first:

DidJit
21st October 2013, 06:39
:2thumbsup :first: :wings:

steveyb
21st October 2013, 07:35
Wow!
That's all I have to say about that!! :clap:

Just having a wee sit down to contemplate what it might mean for him and his team.
Afterall, look where van der Mark is now.

Great results for Tyler, Sam and Conner too.
Roll on 2014??

steveyb
21st October 2013, 07:43
Jake with other World Superbike series champions.

yod
21st October 2013, 08:44
Jake with other World Superbike series champions.

cool pic!!

so whats the plan for next year I wonder?

Crasherfromwayback
21st October 2013, 08:48
Huge congrats young man! Awesome effort.

The Chow
21st October 2013, 09:36
Some raw footage from Jerez.

http://www.nzsuperbike.com/2013/10/video-jake-lewis-wins-pata-european.html

Wingnut
21st October 2013, 09:55
Fantastic news. Well done to those who supported him in his endeavors also.

Where to next? Is WSS out of the question? No doubt $$$ would be a factor as its seems essential to have significant financial backing to progress in motorsports...

codgyoleracer
21st October 2013, 10:30
Well done , Jake / Rob.
Brave call to go into that ultra-competitve class and rely on that Kiwi talent, attitude and toughness to bring you through.
Onward and Upward from here mate!
Glen

300weatherby
21st October 2013, 10:45
Fantastic news. Well done to those who supported him in his endeavors also.

Where to next? Is WSS out of the question? No doubt $$$ would be a factor as its seems essential to have significant financial backing to progress in motorsports...

Pretty sure the prize for winning the series is a Superstock ride for next year worth 100k in Euros, someone may jump in with the exact details, but it would seem a career has been jumpstarted by this.

steveyb
21st October 2013, 12:28
I thought that might be the case too, and perhaps early on it was, but there is now no mention of that on the EJC website.

The European Junior Cup has been conceived to allow talented young riders the opportunity to develop their skills on some of the most legendary racing circuits as an official support series to the World Superbike Championship. The teenage racers compete on completely identical race-prepared motorycles ensuring equal competition and allowing the most promising riders to shine as they begin their international racing careers. The ultimate goal for the championship is to provide a clear career path of European Junior Cup, then graduating into the Superstock championships, and for the most talented young riders, ultimately a career in the World Supersport or World Superbike championships.

It might still be the case, but it is not explicitly stated. But you do get to keep the bike if you want it. Part of the entry fee is that you own the bike. Not sure what you do if you don't want it. Sell it back to them for use next year??

Cleve
21st October 2013, 13:42
Well done Jake. Great news!

steveyb
21st October 2013, 17:49
Yay!
Nice article to close One News Sports segment.
Choice!

george formby
21st October 2013, 18:12
Telling comment in the OP's opening post about Jake's dad. After all, he was on top of the podium 18 years ago. Well done that man!:first:

Bullshit aside I got to say after watching some of the racing in this series, it's white hot. Fantastic effort, fantastic result. On so many levels.
Party for a week young man!:banana:

wharfy
21st October 2013, 21:41
Fuckin' A....

ICE180
22nd October 2013, 12:30
Here the story form TVNZ

http://tvnz.co.nz/motorsport-news/yo...-video-5531272

Dutchee
22nd October 2013, 16:17
My thoughts exactly. So stoked for Jake!

Congratulations to Jake, awesome result. well done that lad :)

quickbuck
22nd October 2013, 16:55
Here the story form TVNZ

http://tvnz.co.nz/motorsport-news/yo...-video-5531272
Linky no work???

Well done again to Jake.

Str8 Jacket
22nd October 2013, 17:07
I was following the series and Jake and all the front runners had some huge ups and downs. I'm not sure how many but Jake did not finish all races for a variety of reasons, as did some of the others. He lead going into this round but his lead was decreasing, what an amazing and determined effort to qualify 14th and finish first in some of the most closest racing you've ever seen.

He must be on cloud 9 at the moment and he deserves it!

Billy
22nd October 2013, 17:46
I was following the series and Jake and all the front runners had some huge ups and downs. I'm not sure how many but Jake did not finish all races for a variety of reasons, as did some of the others. He lead going into this round but his lead was decreasing, what an amazing and determined effort to qualify 14th and finish first in some of the most closest racing you've ever seen.

He must be on cloud 9 at the moment and he deserves it!

Sure was a determined effort,To wake up Sunday morning knowing he had to deliver from 14th on the grid and then showing a maturity and determination to win agaisnt the odds far beyond his years,Makes him a true Kiwi hero for sure AND he has shown that it is possible to achieve your dreams with the right approach,Plenty has gone on behind the scenes that would embarass some of the other competitors.

ICE180
22nd October 2013, 18:08
http://tvnz.co.nz/motorsport-news/young-kiwi-talent-emerges-world-scene-video-5531272

quickbuck
22nd October 2013, 19:05
http://tvnz.co.nz/motorsport-news/young-kiwi-talent-emerges-world-scene-video-5531272

Cheers.
That one is better...

Kiwi Graham
23rd October 2013, 06:31
Awesome job, our very own MM ;)
To come from 14th through to win a magnificent job showing great maturity and patience.

Well done Jake and crew.........noticed your brolly dolly was quite pleased too ;)

Str8 Jacket
23rd October 2013, 06:54
Well done Jake and crew.........noticed your brolly dolly was quite pleased too ;)

Yeah, I noticed that too...... :)

Mental Trousers
23rd October 2013, 07:08
In other news; did you hear that Jake Lewis won the EJC?! :banana:

(start your own thread guys)

Win a World Championship and get the girl?? Yeah :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1391464_746632262029462_931574795_n.jpg

Str8 Jacket
23rd October 2013, 07:21
Win a World Championship and get the girl?? Yeah :D

Well they do say that a pic is worth a thousand words..... !

Billy
23rd October 2013, 07:31

Yea....Not sure that it had anything to do with the EJC though,Theyve been an item for a wee while now,Thought everybody knew LOL

steveyb
23rd October 2013, 08:07
One of those two is a cradle snatcher!!! hehehehe

I have heard through the grapevine that almost all of the Honda dealers in NZ are happy to contribute two CBR500 bikes to the 'class' whatever that might be.
In my opinion though, if they want to get it going, get it going. Just have riders enter the bikes in Pro-Twin races and be done with it.
If the bikes work so well then by simple evolution, riders will gravitate towards them and the other bikes will disappear.
A very well sorted SV650 will likely be superior to a CBR500, but, to get that well sorted will take skill and knowledge that your average racing newbie does not have.

The work that Jake, Rob, Av and some fella named Crafar (MotoVudu) along with TechnicaMoto and of course WIL Sports have done over this year, last year and the previous year when he first went over is simply amazing.

It is the model for success. It shows that one bloke with a backpack full of racing gear simply cannot achieve the success everyone craves any more. It is a team effort. I would hazard a guess that if the personalities match, that Simon will help out other Kiwi riders in similar ways, but striking up a good relationship with him is important. A rider like Tyler has a foot in the door having already spent time with Simon, so if WIL or others were to get on board with him and one or more of the guys that raced this year then we can have a steady stream of one or two riders going each year (and trying out for Rookies Cup too). Rogan C could be the one for wildcard ride(s) next year, then Amy Vaculik-Hamilton or Jake Stroud or whoever (these are just names of young riders I know, not necessarily the best or anything).

But it takes a team effort and supreme sacrifice. Not everyone can move their lives to Europe for 8 months to chase a dream and then do it again the next year. I really hope that Sam and Drew are able to do it and that they can do it a bit easier than they had to this year. (I wonder how that might work for a 2nd year given that you have effectively bought the bike, can you enter again for a subsequent year with the same bike and pay a reduced fee??)

Huge congrats to Jake, Connor, Sam, Blayes and Tyler and of course Avalon in Italy and all the others who have taken the risk to chase their dreams on the world stage (like Nick Cole and Sloan Frost and Al Hoogie etc). I chased my own dreams in my own career when I was young (not 17 but !!!!) and it is just the best feeling in the world to be doing that.

Kia kaha.

Kiwi Graham
23rd October 2013, 08:52
Yea....Not sure that it had anything to do with the EJC though,Theyve been an item for a wee while now,Thought everybody knew LOL

Ha ha I think everybody did ;)

slowpoke
24th October 2013, 21:51
Bloody hell, just incredible to think a young bloke has flown to the dark side of the moon (Euro tracks are a loooooong way from our goat thoroughfares) and not just survived....but THRIVED!

I can remember sitting at a funeral a few years ago and hearing a baby crying. Never have I heard/seen a more graphic explanation of the cycle of life. It seems eerily similar that we have a champion like Andrew Stroud retiring and we finally have another World Class talent emerging.

And does he come back to the comforting embrace of a 600? Nup! That'll be one Superbike for Mr Lewis please! To me that is the best part: stepping outside comfort zone. You go boy!

quickbuck
25th October 2013, 06:24
Bloody hell, just incredible to think a young bloke has flown to the dark side of the moon (Euro tracks are a loooooong way from our goat thoroughfares) and not just survived....but THRIVED!

I can remember sitting at a funeral a few years ago and hearing a baby crying. Never have I heard/seen a more graphic explanation of the cycle of life. It seems eerily similar that we have a champion like Andrew Stroud retiring and we finally have another World Class talent emerging.

And does he come back to the comforting embrace of a 600? Nup! That'll be one Superbike for Mr Lewis please! To me that is the best part: stepping outside comfort zone. You go boy!

Well said....
The current crop of riders sort of remind me of Simon Crafars article in the latest BRM when he talks about the early days (Yeah 23 years ago was early for me) when we has Stroud, Slight, McEwen, Crafar et al.....
They have talent, it just needs to be put out there to demonstrate.
Well done to all who are pushing for that to happen. Those guys know who they are and I won't start mentioning them in fear of missing somebody.

One thing though, will Jake really step onto a Superbike? OR will he be the best 600 Rider we have ever seen? We have seen some good ones too.
Over to him at the end of the day.

wharfy
25th October 2013, 13:51

Yeah, well he's not saying anything..