PDA

View Full Version : Vid: 1945 Big Twin

Big Dave
27th October 2013, 02:13
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4ilODP2OQLI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HenryDorsetCase
27th October 2013, 08:40
So. cool.

I like how that profile has become popular again...

Big Dave
27th October 2013, 09:11
So. cool.

I like how that profile has become popular again...

Yeah - I commented elsewhere that the '42 is reminiscent.

BMWST?
27th October 2013, 09:55
Yeah - I commented elsewhere that the '42 is reminiscent.

sounds like it has L O N G gearing.So as the revs build you advance the ignition timing manually?.....when you come to a stop say at a traffic light and idling do you have to retard the ignition a bit,or is the timing pretty static once the bike is warm?

hayd3n
27th October 2013, 10:04
is that the 2014 model?? you would think they could update their styling

Big Dave
27th October 2013, 10:31
sounds like it has L O N G gearing.So as the revs build you advance the ignition timing manually?.....when you come to a stop say at a traffic light and idling do you have to retard the ignition a bit,or is the timing pretty static once the bike is warm?

4 speed. Al says the 80 cube is noticeably more powerful than a standard WLA.

Yep - You have to adjust the timing with the throttle and load - as you go. It's an additional control.

The front brake is on the left and the clutch is heel and toe - and not sprung. It has to be manually engaged/disengaged too. Suicide shift gears.

Mind-fuck for a modern rider. Just the gears on the other side on an old Bonneville had me flummoxed at first.

HenryDorsetCase
27th October 2013, 11:30
I know a guy with an old Indian which has the throttle on the left, spark advance on the right, left foot clutch, suicide left hand shift.* Not sure where the front and rear brakes are.

*I think thats what he said

He said I could take it for a ride one day. I declined politely. I have had the same issue with the gears on the right the few times I have ridden old british bikes too. I have enough difficulty controlling a motorbike without adding comedy control positions into the mix. It took me long enough to get used to my scooter when I had it with the rear brake on the left bar.

Big Dave
27th October 2013, 13:12
Muscle memory. I've got it with changing over cameras ATM too.
Thumb just automatically goes to where the button 'was'.

Of course knowing where some buttons are instinctively has always been an advantage - hey ladies?...well, lady in my case.

BMWST?
28th October 2013, 11:54
would be a challenge,i have had european cars for about 10 years now.Drive jappas very occasionally (work vehicle or wifes car) i nearly always get that wrong a time or two but even in my own car i occasionally get wiper s for indicators or visa versa!

Big Dave
30th October 2013, 12:19
A little more anecdotal than most of my compositions, but it came out that way. The Tech panel is comprehensive.

http://www.bigdavesplace.co/2013/10/1945-harley-davidson-big-twin.html

ellipsis
30th October 2013, 12:40
...my intro to heel and toe and suicide shift and advance/retard , throttle shit was a couple of hours before I set off with my mates Indian 101 on the Indian Owners Rally down south here a few years back...it was dark and it was lightless and I sweated my way through it all on a test run up to the Hilltop on the Akaroa highway...talk about in at the deep end...I forgot the manual oil pumping bit on a couple of occasions...I had what the experienced Indian riders called a 'one smoke (cigarette) seize' on a couple of occasions that day...I was glad to get her back home and in the shed, that night...