PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection?

Ocean1
27th October 2013, 22:53
Quick look didn't see any recent hits, so locally (wgtn) where can I get some clear eurethane (?) mit der sticky back? Any ideas gents?

Blackbird
28th October 2013, 06:00
If you mean the 3M or equivalent product, most of the companies which do car pin striping or tinted window film will do it or sell the film. When I had the Blackbird, I got a company in Hamilton to do the tank, front guard and parts of the fairing because I wasn't confident about getting all the air bubbles out myself. It was amazing watching these guys at work. Flawless job in under an hour.

On the Triple, my dealer had the stuff fitted before I picked the bike up. There's a guy in Tauranga who apparently makes kits for a lot of bikes.

DMNTD
28th October 2013, 06:39
I use Allan or Bernard from Paint Protection services for our bikes plus I use them for cars at work.
Yes they are based in Tauranga and now Auckland but have also just started up on Trade Me.
They are lazer cut kits specific for individual models and are not cheap but are perfect...you cannot notice that they are there.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=4146410

Ocean1
28th October 2013, 10:35
Thank you gent's.

Looks like doing it yourself isn't that easy, eh? In which case I need someone in Wgtn.

Cheers, I'll make with the phone book.

BMWST?
28th October 2013, 14:00
Cheers, I'll make with the phone book.

:eek5::eek5::eek5::eek5: you dont google???:eek5::eek5::eek5::eek5:

Ocean1
28th October 2013, 17:12
:eek5::eek5::eek5::eek5: you dont google???:eek5::eek5::eek5::eek5:

I did. Just not very successfully.

And I'm in Aus, and I don't think the phone book here would be helpful. P'raps I'll have another google tonight.

pritch
28th October 2013, 18:43
And I'm in Aus, and I don't think the phone book here would be helpful. P'raps I'll have another google tonight.

As suggested the computerised model specific sets give the best result. As a second best choice, I have used a local sign shop. Some sign shops use the stuff all the time and can do a good job. Just be aware that the stuff comes in various thicknesses, and some thicknesses will be better for some areas of the bike than others. For example if the shape of the area is complicated thinner might be easier to apply

Ocean1
28th October 2013, 18:57
As suggested the computerised model specific sets give the best result. As a second best choice, I have used a local sign shop. Some sign shops use the stuff all the time and can do a good job. Just be aware that the stuff comes in various thicknesses, and some thicknesses will be better for some areas of the bike than others. For example if the shape of the area is complicated thinner might be easier to apply

Cheers mate. Buells are like most dirt bikes, the colour is actually the ABS plastic, so usually protection of this sort isn't really needed. But I've fitted an XB12R front guard and had it and the chin fairing painted to match the rest of the bike.

Both fairly easy, I just want the fwd facing fork protecting bits of the guard and the fwd facing edges of the chin fairing done. Hopefully an easy job for someone.

3umph
29th October 2013, 19:36
It does come in different thickness's... unfortunately thinner is not always better, it really depends on the product to how well it conforms with a bit of heat added...

different brands can also yellow a bit over time...

you can get it by the meter of a roll and a signwriters supply distributor should have it...

the good stuff is not cheap!!! so if its cheap more then likely its crap....