PDA

View Full Version : WOO HOO! Finally!

Phurrball
25th August 2005, 16:55
Well, it’s been a long time coming…but FINALLY it’s with us! The bike Mrs Phurrball and I have been seeking for so long is now with us…

I should have saved this for my 100th post, but I got wound up about something else that wouldn’t wait…

I’ve been lurking, observing, (un?)learning and making the occasional ellipsis and parenthesis peppered rant on KB these last few months…all the while ever so S L O W L Y working my way towards two-wheeled bliss, as has Mrs Phurrball [For the smutty KBers – that would be BOTH of us getting our bike licences, not a anything perverse involving a pair of round rubbery things!:devil2:]

It puts a grin on a newbie’s face all right: we can’t stop grinning about anything to do with our new baby! It’s a step up in the world from the GN250 we were riding for our BHS lessons - it makes a very addictive howl at high revs - and seems to thrive on a diet of those - and my, how very shiny he is!

Enough talk; here he is: One shiny, red Suzuki GSF 250 Bandit!

HURRAH!!!

duckman
25th August 2005, 16:58
Very nice indeed ... and shiny :clap:

Storm
25th August 2005, 16:58
Well, it’s been a long time coming…but FINALLY it’s with us! The bike Mrs Phurrball and I have been seeking for so long is now with us…

I should have saved this for my 100th post, but I got wound up about something else that wouldn’t wait…

I’ve been lurking, observing, (un?)learning and making the occasional ellipsis and parenthesis peppered rant on KB these last few months…all the while ever so S L O W L Y working my way towards two-wheeled bliss, as has Mrs Phurrball [For the smutty KBers – that would be BOTH of us getting our bike licences, not a anything perverse involving a pair of round rubbery things!:devil2:]

It puts a grin on a newbie’s face all right: we can’t stop grinning about anything to do with our new baby! It’s a step up in the world from the GN250 we were riding for our BHS lessons - it makes a very addictive howl at high revs - and seems to thrive on a diet of those - and my, how very shiny he is!

HURRAH!!!

oooh , and it is so very shiny

Lucyloo
25th August 2005, 17:00
That's a very pretty bike.
How exciting.
May you have many safe hours riding on it.

erik
25th August 2005, 17:05
Nice :niceone:

Phurrball
25th August 2005, 17:06
That's a very pretty bike.
How exciting.
May you have many safe hours riding on it.

Indeed it is pretty - it now has one tiny scratch from Mrs P 'letting it have a wee rest' (when she was stopped no less!) Goddam gravel! :oi-grr:

Much spent on gear to ensure safety! Can't trust manic/maniac Auckland cage drivers with my safety...

DemonWolf
25th August 2005, 17:09
Good Stuff Phurrball.. happy riding =)

placidfemme
25th August 2005, 17:59
Very nice... and your right... very shiney :) Congrats

stify
25th August 2005, 18:11
shiny and congrats...but alas it's a she not a he....well every thing i ride is anyway...both enjoy and be safe please

Ixion
25th August 2005, 18:18
'Tis very shiney. So now you need to go out on a 600km or so day trip, and get it properly unshineyed. Backroads and gravel roads are good for this. Must have a coating of honest journey grime, to prove 't'as travelled far and fast, and not just spent it's time being washed and polished.

Phurrball
25th August 2005, 18:25
'Tis very shiney. So now you need to go out on a 600km or so day trip, and get it properly unshineyed. Backroads and gravel roads are good for this. Must have a coating of honest journey grime, to prove 't'as travelled far and fast, and not just spent it's time being washed and polished.

I should post a photo of our [loosely called] driveway. I think going up and down its hellish, gravelled slopes should about do it :weep:

PS - have yet to develop the bravery to actually ride up or down it so far. It is very intimidating when the bike is so pristine, and the rider is such a newbie :(

Ixion
25th August 2005, 18:31
I should post a photo of our [loosely called] driveway. I think going up and down its hellish, gravelled slopes should about do it :weep:

PS - have yet to develop the bravery to actually ride up or down it so far. It is very intimidating when the bike is so pristine, and the rider is such a newbie :(

UP is easy on gravel. Just give it heaps of throttle and try to keep the front wheel more or less on the ground. DOWN is harder .Especially if there is a turn. But you have engine braking so you should be OK.

Phurrball
25th August 2005, 18:36
UP is easy on gravel. Just give it heaps of throttle and try to keep the front wheel more or less on the ground. DOWN is harder .Especially if there is a turn. But you have engine braking so you should be OK.

So far I've walked the bike down on the brakes V E R Y slowly, and walked it up using the clutch and 1st gear...will have to bite the bullet pretty soon though. I would have no fear doing the drive on a human-powered bike, but somehow this doesn't translate; the Bandit is different...

stify
25th August 2005, 18:47
So far I've walked the bike down on the brakes V E R Y slowly, and walked it up using the clutch and 1st gear...will have to bite the bullet pretty soon though. I would have no fear doing the drive on a human-powered bike, but somehow this doesn't translate; the Bandit is different...

umm fear...the first thing that'll keep u alive,don't discount it!

Phurrball
25th August 2005, 18:59
umm fear...the first thing that'll keep u alive,don't discount it!

Aye, I commute in daily on the Northwestern - I have been studying the habits of the Auckland cagers since my arrival from Dunedin at the start of the year. I can report that the traffic and the driving is every bit as bad as legend down south suggested it might be. My fear of the Auckland car driver is becoming ingrained and may indeed keep me alive on the bike...however I hope that my fear of the Laingholm 'driveway' subsides... :D

El Dopa
25th August 2005, 19:18
Nice bike!

Don't worry about the intimidation thing. You'll get used to it really quick.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a 250 bandit if I ever manage to get rid of the white elephant.

How much, and where from, if you don't mind me asking?

Zed
25th August 2005, 19:29

HURRAH!!!I can tell you're one happy camper Phurrball, and I know the feeling of getting a new bike - great innit!

Well done!! :niceone:

MagicMarker
25th August 2005, 19:42
Wow, really nice :woohoo: Wouldn't mind one of those my self :P Keep it shiney!

gamgee
25th August 2005, 19:54
been looking for one of those for aaaaaaaaaaaaages, missed out on a mint one on trademe a few months ago, and now i get to see it down at uni all the time, but my vt250f is heaps of fun and probably quicker than a gsf anyway

SARGE
25th August 2005, 21:16
Aye, I commute in daily on the Northwestern - I have been studying the habits of the Auckland cagers since my arrival from Dunedin at the start of the year. I can report that the traffic and the driving is every bit as bad as legend down south suggested it might be. My fear of the Auckland car driver is becoming ingrained and may indeed keep me alive on the bike...however I hope that my fear of the Laingholm 'driveway' subsides... :D

good job man.. nice bikes thoseBandits..

what time are you on the NW?.. if you see me.. just jump in behind me and i'll clear a path for ya ( my bike is hard to miss..)

Hitcher
25th August 2005, 21:22

HURRAH!!!
Red. Nice choice!

avgas
25th August 2005, 21:30
Sexy, has she got a name yet?

Ninja
25th August 2005, 21:48
Daunting without a doubt!

Feet firmly on pegs, knees bent, back straight and try it standing up (ooooh errr missus!) Much more manoeuvrable and stable with all your weight going down through the pegs.

Ninja

HDTboy
25th August 2005, 23:09
That's an awesome workshop in the first photo, do you work at contis?

zadok
25th August 2005, 23:15
Congratulations. It is always a good feeling when you get a new bike. Looks like a ripper. :ride:

SuperDave
25th August 2005, 23:16
They are nice bikes and yours looks to be a beautifully shiny example.

Squiggles
26th August 2005, 07:53
im loving that colour.... looks awesome :ride:

sels1
26th August 2005, 08:15
Congrays...nice bike
Try the driveway standing on the pegs like a trail bike. Going up is the easier one to start on

Phurrball
26th August 2005, 12:12
Sexy, has she got a name yet?

Not as yet...any suggestions? What do people call their bikes??

good job man.. nice bikes thoseBandits..
what time are you on the NW?.. if you see me.. just jump in behind me and i'll clear a path for ya ( my bike is hard to miss..)

Will try that when I get onto the bike to commute :msn-wink: Still cage-bound until I get a wee bit more experience. It's a steep learning curve having the 'driveway' to deal with, and Laingholm Drive/Victory Rd/Huia Rd on your doorstep! Cool roads, but not in the nicest in condition, or with much leeway for beginners...

I'll come and see you at Coleman's though Sarge...Questions to ask...

Nice bike!...
How much, and where from, if you don't mind me asking?

been looking for one of those for aaaaaaaaaaaaages, missed out on a mint one on trademe a few months ago...

Interesting story there...This came from Trademe, but there were considerable complications and great stress.

Went to inspect the bike; took the piccs that are on this thread; the Mrs and I decided that we MUST have that bike.

We had our eye on the auction, as did 2 other serious bidders. At the last minute, a phantom bidder pops up with an autobid of GARGANTUAN proportions. We were gutted (And stretched beyond our financial comfort zone).

We lost the auction. :weep:

I took one look at the feedback of the buyer, and rang the seller and left a mesage saying that if the sale fell through, we were still madly keen. Funnily enough, the sale did fall through.

Turns out a phantom bidder had had some 'fun' with three auctions that night. The Bandit, a laptop, and a scooter. TOTAL FARKING B'STRAD!

Anyway, the seller was really good, and contacted us and the other serious bidders once it was clear the sale had fallen through.Being the next top bidder, we got the first chance to negotiate a purchase...and we now have the bike. It is so mint, and came with a Rolls-Royce Givi tank bag, and brand new Pirelli Sport Demon tyres :love:

Such a good find, considering that a similar age and milage bike was just on Trademe and was withdrawn before the reserve of $5K was reached. (We didn't pay anywhere near that, closer to $4K)

Ahhh :woohoo: (Phurrball grins happily, leaning back in the chair at work, admiring the view, and contemplating the next ride!)

Beemer
26th August 2005, 12:14
Lovely bike, considered one of those myself before I found the Goose.

As for the driveway, don't listen to them - have it concreted like we did! We were put off buying our place because of the steep gravel driveway, but we ended up buying it (five car garaging was a bonus!) and having it concreted two days after we moved in. HUGE cost, but we've never regretted it and I don't have any fear of our driveway now! (See photos of before and after)

Edit - it doesn't look so bad in the before shot, but it was gravel, very steep and full of ruts and slippery patches!

Phurrball
29th August 2005, 09:11
Lovely bike, considered one of those myself before I found the Goose.

As for the driveway, don't listen to them - have it concreted like we did! We were put off buying our place because of the steep gravel driveway, but we ended up buying it (five car garaging was a bonus!) and having it concreted two days after we moved in. HUGE cost, but we've never regretted it and I don't have any fear of our driveway now! (See photos of before and after)

Edit - it doesn't look so bad in the before shot, but it was gravel, very steep and full of ruts and slippery patches!

NEWSFLASH! I conquered the driveway on Sunday! (Upwards at least...)Hurrah, not as scary as I thought it might have been. Must post a photo of the drive so its 'fear factor' can be judged by the good folks on KB...

Unfortunately, being rented accomodation, the surface of the driveway is out of our hands for the most part. I'd love it if it was sealed - but I'd love a garage (Or even a shed) more still!

[Any benevolent KBers want to give me one for Christmas? Go on; for the bike more than for me, you know she deserves it!:devil2:]

That's an awesome workshop in the first photo, do you work at contis?

Blardy good spotting HDTboy! That would be a Conti's workshop (The Peugeot one on the North Shore); sadly it is not my place of work. The good fellow who sold us the bike works there. They were the photos I took to show the Mrs, who I knew couldn't resist such mechanical beauty, :love: and would immediately approve of the purchase!

GN1NiteStnd
29th August 2005, 09:36
Hah!
Reminds me of the time that me nd my bf went to an open home out in the country, and it had one of the steepest gravel/dirt/pot hole driveways i had ever seen.
It was so funi cause there was all these city 4WD cages parked at the bottom. :rofl:
Showed them up with our lil starlet parked at the top.

avgas
29th August 2005, 20:03
Well when i first saw her i was thinking more like a sleek "Bianca", but knowing bandits mabey she rides more like "Tabatha" (spelling?), which would prob suit the Phurball family ;)

Phurrball
30th August 2005, 11:37
Well when i first saw her i was thinking more like a sleek "Bianca", but knowing bandits mabey she rides more like "Tabatha" (spelling?), which would prob suit the Phurball family ;)

I shall forward to suggestions to the 'Phurrball family bike naming comittee'...thanks!

The cat may get jealous of the bike having a name with feline connotations, especially since she is named after a 'shoe'!! :rofl:

(Pusscat = Moccasin)