PDA

View Full Version : RM250 forks info needed

pouakai
28th October 2013, 08:30
Hiyall,

I looking for some modern conventional forks for to replace the damper rod Marzocchis in a large(900!) off-roader I am restoring.
They should be a conventional design rather than USD in order to preserve as much of the aesthetic as possible but otherwise should be as modern and high performance as possible.

I have identified the forks from the 97-98 RM250, 97-02 RMX250 as looking like a good candidate. By appearances it is the same fork across all those model/year groups, can anyone confirm ?

Basically all the info I have is photos, I am hoping someone can confirm some technical details/dimensions of that fork ?

Stanchion diameter ?
length from top cap to axle ?
travel ?
axle diameters L/R ?
Adjustability- damping:yes, preload ?

Other suggestions from that era or later are quite welcome too, Marzocchi Magnum 45 might also be a choice.

Cheers,
P

F5 Dave
29th October 2013, 14:49
Well of concern is the weight difference between a 2 stroke 250 crosser (say 100kg) & an Elefant or whatever it is you are proposing to refit (twice x kg & counting). The spring rate would need to be substantially increased but that would leave the damping woefully inadequate so a revalve well out of the normal scope (and certainly any clicker adjustment so you can forget that helping) would be in order too.

Brake mounting may be a show stopper too.

Emulators & a rebuild of what you have sounds attractive. Heck, maybe RT can slip in a retrofit cartridge setup?

ktm84mxc
30th October 2013, 07:43
You could also check out White powers 50mm extremes a very good fork, check EBay and I'd be going for a PD type set up as the spring rates and dampening will be closer to what you'll need.

pouakai
31st October 2013, 09:19
Yeah you are certainly quite right wrt the weight issues, whatever I end up with will need a respring revalve. RT already did emulators for the 42m(eek!) Marzocchis the Ele currently wears. Haven't tested them yet but an opportunity came up recently to fit them with a full cartridge setup which later proved unfruitful so that got me looking at options for new legs.

Certainly the WP 50 s are on the radar as are the Marzocchi Magnum 50 but I saw some comment that the coating on them was a bit soft and prone to wear.

What models use the WP 50 ? - then I do some searching on them.....

;)
P

ktm84mxc
31st October 2013, 11:24
WP 50's came standard on KTM 250/300/360/380 from 96-1999, the Zokes 45/50 are a simple design not up to the WP in performance.
I'd be checking Euro brands as these forks were usually standard fitment up to the 2000's eg Yamaha's TT600r the Italian belgardia model from the 90's .