PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Road accident? (28/10/2013)

PrincessBandit
29th October 2013, 17:33
Anyone heard anything about the riders who came to grief on Twilight Road the other day? Hope the riders recover - the bikes looked pretty trashed.

AllanB
29th October 2013, 18:00
TV said serious injuries to the one in front who was on the wrong side of the road and comfortable position for the rider following who collided into the bike in front.

Messy stuff for the front one with the full front end ripped off........

Road kill
29th October 2013, 18:32
Really,who gives a shit.

If your a local that lives on one of the roads these fuckwits come to play on during the week end,,,it's kinda funny.

Gremlin
29th October 2013, 18:37
Worst injured rider isn't critical any more (I know someone who knows the group etc - but can't remember all the details), but has some decent injuries like broken bones, bleeding on the spine I think etc.

Akzle
29th October 2013, 18:53
broken bones, bleeding on the spine I think etc.

that'll learn em

nzspokes
29th October 2013, 19:08
Worst injured rider isn't critical any more (I know someone who knows the group etc - but can't remember all the details), but has some decent injuries like broken bones, bleeding on the spine I think etc.

I heard 1 had a crushed nut, not one on his bike either. :shit:

caseye
29th October 2013, 19:14
Have to agree with Road Kill, these sorts of accident tar us all with the same brush.
Group? who ride Twilight,OK lots do, but most don't let their riders use the OTHER SIDE of the road when doing so.
I'm glad no one was killed, but why did this happen?
This road is in my back yard and frankly I don't ride it because the biggest danger is other motorcyclists doing exactly this.

Gremlin
29th October 2013, 19:14
I heard 1 had a crushed nut, not one on his bike either. :shit:
The minor injured one I think, apparently from flying through the air or something...

AllanB
29th October 2013, 20:08
The minor injured one I think, apparently from flying through the air or something...

I read some time back that plenty of sport bike crashes where it involves a front end impact result in broken wrists from the body being violently jerked up wile hands grip clip-ons and groin damage by collecting it against screens etc on the way over!

Juniper
29th October 2013, 20:15
I read some time back that plenty of sport bike crashes where it involves a front end impact result in broken wrists from the body being violently jerked up wile hands grip clip-ons and groin damage by collecting it against screens etc on the way over!

Ouch now that sounds painful!!

ducatilover
29th October 2013, 20:18
Would explain it, I've broken both wrists twice. Makes bed-time chores uncomfortable.

I'm not sure if I agree with roadkill though

nzspokes
29th October 2013, 20:20

Wont go into to much but have seen exactly that from a Hornet crash. Not nice wounds.

Kittyhawk
29th October 2013, 21:54
A mate at work told me he drove past the crash thats why he was late. He isn't a biker, so asking details seemed pointless. I just hope all involved are ok and have a speedy recovery. These things happen. We all ride, and we all take risks unless you're a kittyhawk :innocent:

Brett
29th October 2013, 22:40
It's a tight piece of road that is very busy over the weekends. Often full of cyclists and people pulling horse floats and boats. Not uncommon for the tighter corners to have a bit of fuel splashed every now and again, and when it is even slightly damp it's a slippery track too as the moss is quite thick in spots. Twilight Rd is not really a place for bikers to play when they want to go fast. I ride it quite often, but these days my pace is rather sedate.

Monkfish
30th October 2013, 07:35
SASS rides Twilight quite regularly (or at least they used to when I was a regular)

If sis can lead a group of learners through there easy as Pie.... It seems like these guys were going so hard that the road probably was of little consequence. - They were probably going to crash anyway.

R650R
30th October 2013, 07:42
Used to have fun up there when I lived up that way for awhile, add Skyline road to the mix as well along with fish and chips at Kaiaua with a Wild Turkey then the hot pools and it's a great ride.
Yep those boaties drop all sorts of rubbish on road, you have to be aware.
Same as any other road though and after spending over ten years as a professional fulltime driver I grew to learnt that every road is as equally dangerous.
That person whose coming the other way not paying attention or tired will do what they will do, its all down to lady luck and can happen anywhere...

Katman
30th October 2013, 09:06
That person whose coming the other way not paying attention or tired will do what they will do, its all down to lady luck and can happen anywhere...

Certainly helps if you stay on your side of the road though.

Rhys
30th October 2013, 10:08
Very hard to have a head on crash if every one is on their side of the road

iYRe
30th October 2013, 11:32
The problem with twilight rd is that hardly any one is on their side of the road.

I ride it on my bicycle and my motorbike (its in my backyard too), and a mate crashed on it when we were coming home one day because he clipped a 4x4 which had cut the corner... even doing a sedate 20kmh he still broke an ankle and got a tear in his kidney.

Its not even a decent piece of Road, and as Brett said, its slippery and dangerous in the winter. In the summer us cyclists are pretty much a stream going up from the clevedon side, so you're just going to get stuck behind some fat guy in lycra doing 8 kmh (me, most likely) so you cant "enjoy" it anyway... so keep the hell away (also, if you piss me off I will jam my bike pump through your visor (I carry a metal one on purpose these days... not pussy plastic one like most people)).

I'd ride out to Maraetai, then to whitford, then come back through brookby - plenty of windies, better views, longer ride, some dips, risers, sweepers, chances to overtake, and less chances of dying.
Like this: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3604691

Paul in NZ
30th October 2013, 11:53
Too funny - google mapped it...

Went down to street view and lo and behold a fat bloke in lycra... LOL...

30th October 2013, 12:23
so keep the hell away (also, if you piss me off I will jam my bike pump through your visor (I carry a metal one on purpose these days... not pussy plastic one like most people)).

Sounds like a challange to me :corn:

iYRe
30th October 2013, 12:27
Too funny - google mapped it...

Went down to street view and lo and behold a fat bloke in lycra... LOL...

I had to go and check in case it was me..

he wasnt that fat to be fair..