PDA

View Full Version : Another F N G !

Korumba
25th August 2005, 19:48
Hey People

I recently purchased a 91 ZZR1100 it’s my seventh bike, but first one for many years.

I have done about 1000kms so far (with no unscheduled underwear changes) and infact the smile on my face gets bigger each time I ride it as the old skills and confidence returns.

I can’t believe the crap and expense the new riders have to go thought to get your full license.

Man! am I pleased I was waiting outside the Invercargill City Council Traffic Department (read Gestapo) offices on my 15th Birthday back in 79 to get my provisional license (I’m sure it cost less than $10.00 and had my full license about 3 months later after the cop watched me do a circuit from the sidewalk and I was away with a full license to ride any size motorcycle I wanted. (At least I can’t remember any cc restrictions.. I’m sure I will be corrected if im wrong)

So off I went on my 100cc Kawasaki then my DT175 and then my KL250 etc etc…..
Nothing beats Time/Kms on a bike for experience and I did heaps of both, on bigger and bigger bikes.

I think the 250cc limit is good (only to gain the skills to learn to ride and survive) but with each step of the license process should just be a rubber stamp affair with minimal cost then you can head off into the wide and windy world on bigger bikes.

How much does it cost from the first step until the full license and over what time frame?

Any way just wanted to say Hi and ask a question (actually it will be my second question but the one I wanted to ask in the first place!) if I may about tire size.

The ZZR come out with a 170/60-17 and I purchased it with a 180/55-zr17 which needs replaced real soon, what size should I replace it with?

It rides fine with the 180/55 but some dude in Japan 14 years ago reckoned the 170/60 was the business so I’m not sure what to do; I am just going to use the bike for mainly highway use. (If you call our roads up North Highways) and I’m not afraid of rain so will be out in the wet

Any advice on this would be appreciated

Cheers

Korumba

Antallica
25th August 2005, 19:54
Welcome my fellow northlander, good to see our numbers are growing!

DemonWolf
25th August 2005, 19:55
Welcome to KB Korumba.. =)

Flyingpony
25th August 2005, 20:49
Hey Korumba, Welcome to KiwiBiker.

How much does it cost from the first step until the full license and over what ti

An arm and a leg plus 20 wringles now.

It's about $332 all up and if your over 25yrs it's 12mths and 2yrs if you're under that.
If you spend more $$$ and do courses, your time is reduced.
Then there are rules governing top speed, engine size, carrying passengers etc.
All gone once you get your full, within reason naturally.

LTSA link here (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html)

Horse.

skelstar
25th August 2005, 21:28
Aye Korumba. Welcome (someone had to say it). :)

zadok
25th August 2005, 21:35
Welcome to K.B mate.

John
25th August 2005, 21:46
Welcome, may I ask if you got that ZZR from shaws, was a tidy bit of kit if you did!

Welcome, cant say what tire sizes are best for that bike, but I would stick to standard, as the suspension and frame is set up for one tire size, but yea some one else should open a book on that.

welcome.

Squiggles
25th August 2005, 21:50
welcome, yeah, and arm and a leg for your full these days...... wish i was trying to get mine in those old days :)

Snoopy
25th August 2005, 22:14
trademe have a training gift voucher on at the mo!

GR81
26th August 2005, 10:34
How much does it cost?

Basic riding skills test $48.90
Learner licence application fee $39.30
Learner licence test $39.70
Restricted licence application fee $39.30
Restricted licence test $48.90
Full licence application fee $44.30
Full licence test $70.80
Total $331.20

All fees include GST and are non-refundable.

taken from: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html

Korumba
26th August 2005, 13:13
Welcome, may I ask if you got that ZZR from shaws, was a tidy bit of kit if you did!

welcome.

Thanks for the welcome Guys

I brought the bike in Auckland....its not the tidyest around but a good 3k cheaper than whats in the shops.

CPB
26th August 2005, 17:29
:Punk: Welcome Korumba...another madman enters the wonderful world of KB...

Korumba
27th August 2005, 18:29
:Punk: Welcome Korumba...another madman enters the wonderful world of KB...

How did you know I don’t have a Certificate to confirm I’m sane???

Lol the only person I have meet with one, got his upon release from the nut house.