PDA

View Full Version : Caterham concept bikes

SMOKEU
7th November 2013, 10:10
" Boutique British sportscar brand, Caterham, has revealed a trio of wild two-wheeled concepts to showcase its new motorcycle division.

The brand, which is working with Renault on co-developing a new-generation sportscar that will revive the famous Alpine name, is best known for its lightweight Lotus 7 replicas.

Now it looks to replicate those same open-air thrills following the reveal of a go-anywhere petrol-powered motorcycle and a pair of electric mopeds at the International Motorcycle Exhibition in Milan.

Like its road-car business – and its back marker Formula One team – Caterham has no ambition to challenge the established Japanese and Italian motorcycle brands, but says it will offer a unique alternative for those looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

"We are realistic and honest enough to know that we're not in the business of rivalling the establishment; we're here to offer an alternative that befits the character of Caterham," Co-Chairman of the Caterham Group, Dato' Kamarudin Meranum, said.

"Just as the Caterham Seven is a motoring icon because of its unique design and engineering credibility, Caterham Bikes' products will be aimed at a nice audience seeking exceptional quality, bespoke design flare (sic) and bikes easy enough for anyone to ride."

The Brutus 750, which Caterham claims is the world's first two-wheeled SUV and the first motorcycle with an automatic gearbox, will be the first to hit the road late next year.

It will be followed by the Classic E-bike – a retro bike with an electric engine housed within a faux twin-cylinder that has a range of between 40-80km – and the Carbon E-bike, a similarly electric-powered high-tech motocross bike.

Caterham has yet to reveal technical details, prices or distributors for its motorcycle division.

Rival British brand Lotus revealed plans earlier this year to enter the motorcycle market with a "hyperbike" called the C-01 created by a former Bugatti designer. But no more details have been revealed."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/9372549/Wild-concept-petrol-electric-bikes-revealed

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1383771054/707/9372707_600x400.jpg

fridayflash
7th November 2013, 10:11
hmmm, looks a freaky deaky machine...a bit inspired by the yamaha BW's

tigertim20
7th November 2013, 11:05
reminds me on an RV90.
had an RV90 when I was about 12 as a backup to my dirtbike. it provided hours of hilarity and fun!

nudemetalz
7th November 2013, 11:38
reminds me on an RV90.
had an RV90 when I was about 12 as a backup to my dirtbike. it provided hours of hilarity and fun!

Ha the old Van-Vans !! They were cool.

Crasherfromwayback
7th November 2013, 12:04
reminds me on an RV90.

My first ever motorcycle at the age of ten was an RV125. But I wanted the 90. The fat front tyre was groovier!

avgas
7th November 2013, 12:10
I like everything except those wheels. Motard it.

Paul in NZ
7th November 2013, 12:11
The Brutus 750, which Caterham claims is the world's first two-wheeled SUV and the first motorcycle with an automatic gearbox, will be the first to hit the road late next year.

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1383771054/707/9372707_600x400.jpg

methinks Caterham's marketting dept needs to do a little bit better research? I can think of

Moto Guzzi Converts

Honda Auto's (400 and 750)

Aprilia Mana

Ridley (bespoke merkin chopper thingies)

Any more

Crasherfromwayback
7th November 2013, 12:43
methinks Caterham's marketting dept needs to do a little bit better research? I can think of

Moto Guzzi Converts

Honda Auto's (400 and 750)

Aprilia Mana

Ridley (bespoke merkin chopper thingies)

Any more

Husky had many auto dirtbikes...and well before that...the mighty Rokon!

pritch
7th November 2013, 14:21
I don't know what Caterham are smoking but all three of their proposed bikes are weird.

Jay GTI
7th November 2013, 14:22
2wd is nothing new, ballon tyres are nothing new, as mentioned autos are nothing new.

2 wheeled SUV is a new concept in itself, but I'm not sure I want a bike that handles like a Toyota Prado (and looking at the photos probably weighs as much).