PDA

View Full Version : Overloaded

Biff
25th August 2005, 21:48
I took this photo in Kuala Lumpur a few weeks ago, out of the back window of a car I was travelling in.

The bike is a zuki 200 scooter type thing and the guy riding it shot past us seconds after this photo was taken, his bike weighed down with a huge of pile, of what looked to be, old clothes on the bike/scooters seat.

N4CR
25th August 2005, 21:57
Mabey he just couldn't afford a goldwing :rofl:

Amazing what they do to pile up those darn two wheeled contraptions - My mate told me a story about bangcock and how they got FIVE people on a scooter at one stage - one hanging off each side, one off the back and two sitting. edit: i think the 5th person was off the front, not to sure though

dhunt
25th August 2005, 22:02
I took this photo in Kuala Lumpur a few weeks ago, out of the back window of a car I was travelling in.

The bike is a zuki 200 scooter type thing and the guy riding it shot past us seconds after this photo was taken, his bike weighed down with a huge of pile, of what looked to be, old clothes on the bike/scooters seat.
A 200 seems a bit grunty for that, probably a 150 or 125. Very popular in asia.
Surely the greenies would be all for supporting bikes more for things like this and putting more people I bike as much more economical than a car.

dhunt
25th August 2005, 22:13

Amazing what they do to pile up those darn two wheeled contraptions - My mate told me a story about bangcock and how they got FIVE people on a scooter at one stage - one hanging off each side, one off the back and two sitting. edit: i think the 5th person was off the front, not to sure though
I've seen 7 on a Honda XL 125 motorbike Very impressive, you extend the seat back a bit. No need for the 4x4 to drive the kids to school. Can't find any of my photos showing this unforutnely.

But here's a photo showing the number of scooters/bikes that are actually around.

Biff
25th August 2005, 23:26

I saw 4 on an old Honda step though scooter. Standing up in the front, between the seat and the bars, was a kid of 3-4, dad sat on the seat, behind him was an older looking lad, maybe 5-7, then behind him was mum (I guess) arms around the older boy holding onto dad.

:clap:

A 200 seems a bit grunty for that, probably a 150 or 125.

Twas definately a 200 from the sticker on it. Could have been I guess. But there are quite a few 200 scooter types things in KL. But I definatley see more 125 & 150s in most parts of Asia.

I saw a guy come off his bike in Bangkok recently. I was sitting in a bar watching the world go by, when this guy came around a corner on a scooter, accelerated into the street that I was on, his back tyre went over an electrical cable, which was wired up to a local market stall, his back wheel spun, lost traction, and he hit the deck. He was alright. But I bet he was sore.

But here's a photo showing the number of scooters/bikes that are actually around.

Where was the photo taken?

inlinefour
26th August 2005, 04:17
The rider is wearing a helmet by the look of the picture. Thats a start :clap:

Sniper
26th August 2005, 07:43
Only in asia :killingme

placidfemme
26th August 2005, 07:55
lol thats classic... or overkill on the protective cushions lol

dhunt
26th August 2005, 10:18
Where was the photo taken?
Taken in KK (Kota Kinabalu, Thailand) When I was there a year and 1/2 ago.

While we were there me and some mates hired some CB400's for a day at about $20 each and went riding on some of the back roads their, very much like NZ back roads, quite windy etc.

Rhino
26th August 2005, 19:03
KL is an interesting place to watch the locals on their stepthroughs/scooters. I have been there a couple of times and took some video on my first visit of all the bikes. It was like the start of a GP at every set of traffic lights in the CBD.

Saw some VERY interesting loads and sidecars etc. One I vividly recall is a Honda stepthrough with a flat sidecar on it about 1 metre wide by 2 metres long filled with Rockgas cylinders!!!! Obviously no OSH regs in Malaysia. It was very slow off the mark and must have handled like a pig when fully laden.

Bonez
26th August 2005, 19:11

Probably doing a laundry run.

myvice
27th August 2005, 17:49
And I bitch about a tank bag and a backpack at the same time!

bane
27th August 2005, 18:18
spent a few weeks in south west Turkey in May - mopeds, small 2 strokes everywhere. Common to see Dad, up to a couple of kids, and Mum on the back! Rarely saw any helmets, let alone antother safety gear. The way these bikes weave in and out of suicidal vehicles at top speed is something to behold - but bloody scary

speights_bud
29th August 2005, 14:32
I suppose the scooter dud believes in the mitre10mega ad. 'Big is good'....Yea...

scumdog
29th August 2005, 14:42
Got so use to seeing this sort of thing when I was a (younger) kid in Malaya, when we moved to N.Z. I wondered why there were only one or two on each motorbike - and why they never carried trussed up chooks, pigs in baskets etc. :spudwhat:

Biff
30th August 2005, 12:58
And some more photos from Asia. the first one is mine, the second sent to me by a colleague.

speights_bud
4th September 2005, 21:34
To the second picture: And not a helmet in sight, imagine what that would cost you here in Nz?????

Biff
4th September 2005, 22:06
To the second picture: And not a helmet in sight, imagine what that would cost you here in Nz?????

I recently spoke with the guy that sent me that photo - he says there were 7 on that bike - apparently the lady is holding a baby!!!!!