PDA

View Full Version : Where to from here

328FTW
10th November 2013, 03:00
I bought a used motor from a wrecker for my VT250, I installed it this weekend. After having some trouble starting it I got it going. It was rattly as hell but I decided it would be the usual cam chain tensioner like the other 4 I've had in it. Pulled on my gear and gave it a crank down the driveway after warming it up. Now initially I thought the carbs were way out of whack because I had to hold it open slightly to warm it up. Going down the driveway it wouldn't rev out past 8k.

I got onto the road and gave it the berries, it was stuttering badly and I got to about 3rd gear idled it down the road and turned around because it wasn't right. I got halfway back and there was a bang, drops to one cylinder and the rattling stopped. I decided the chain must of been so loose it had jumped teeth and done the valves in. Upon opening the top, everything worked like it should. So I compression tested, front cylinder was dead. After poking around I found the piston wasn't moving. At this point I dropped the sump to see what the hell was going on with the motor I just bought. What I found is sitting beside me right now, rod was just laying in the sump, one rodbolt gone and bits of bearing everywhere. What I thought was camchain rattle was a damn bearing and the engine was way way on its last legs. Was told this engine checked out now I've wasted even more time/money on this sack of shit. This is engine 5.

I'm going to need recommendations on the meanest weed contact everyone has because I need one hell of a joint to keep from losing my shit right now. I can't even ride the GN250 cause some tool in a BMW hit me and it's not looking too flash, I'm still nursing my legs from it cause I was in jeans. Not a happy camper.

I have 2 frames, 2 sets of fairings, about 3 or 4 motors in pieces. Rego is on hold, new fork seals, fork oil, fuel lines, filters and stuff all new, new battery, newish rear tyre. Could I get $600 for all this crap and just walk away from this all? Fuck someone give me 1k and I'll throw in a GN250 that almost seems to ride straight if you've had 6 cody's and lean way over to the left.

Akzle
10th November 2013, 07:00
way gay.

Clean it out, new conrod and brg and you got a runner though....

Alternatively... I like codys, so if yer srs about the 1k thing...

Ulsterkiwi
10th November 2013, 07:14
might be a dumb question but have you not spent the price of a bike buying bits?

nzspokes
10th November 2013, 08:10
I bought a used motor from a wrecker for my VT250,

Take it back and get refund or replacement good motor. Sell it all and get a modern reliable bike.

boman
10th November 2013, 08:26
IIRC, if you bought the motor from a wrecker, then you should have some form of warrantee.

You will need to ask.

nodrog
10th November 2013, 08:31
I got onto the road and gave it the berries,.....

yeah, that is the best way to fix a engine that is rattling and not running right :facepalm:

mansell
10th November 2013, 08:36
Surely with 3 or 4 motors in pieces you could salvage one decent one

Katman
10th November 2013, 08:53

Clearly, you're not fully aware of how clueless the OP is.

caspernz
10th November 2013, 08:56
Clearly you're not fully aware of how clueless the OP is.

And yet extremely amusing all the same :facepalm::shit::innocent:

328FTW
10th November 2013, 13:34
yeah, that is the best way to fix a engine that is rattling and not running right :facepalm:

Im not a magician, it made noise so I took it out to cycle revs to see if it calmed down. It never saw more than 8k or 100m down the road. Can show my tripmeter if you like

Not really, when they explode the blocks have holes or the bores are left damaged. This thing just takes up too much damn time

Clearly, you're not fully aware of how clueless the OP is.

So would you like me to PM some of the other members that have helped me so I can make them aware what you think of their work to?

nodrog
10th November 2013, 13:38
Im not a magician.....

I know, clearly you are a rocket scientist.

328FTW
10th November 2013, 13:53
I know, clearly you are a rocket scientist.

So you're going to pull out insults? I know how motors work, I've not come in here shooting off attitude at you. All of those damn motors rattled till I put in new cam chain tensioners. I have receipts for bearings, rings and whatnot all genuine honda I've put into these things. You want a sheet with my micrometer measurements for out of round to? It's not been the same problem each time, one was a valve dropping so I used new ones, then it's rods, or bearing failure.

But clearly the answer is to come in here and call me shit for brains given you don't know me or how many toys I actually own that don't piss away all my time like this.

jellywrestler
10th November 2013, 13:53
Im not a magician, are you sure, someone once told me you dissappeared with a Poof one day...

nodrog
10th November 2013, 13:56
So you're going to pull out insults? I know how motors work, I've not come in here shooting off attitude at you. All of those damn motors rattled till I put in new cam chain tensioners. I have receipts for bearings, rings and whatnot all genuine honda I've put into these things. You want a sheet with my micrometer measurements for out of round to? It's not been the same problem each time, one was a valve dropping so I used new ones, then it's rods, or bearing failure.

But clearly the answer is to come in here and call me shit for brains given you don't know me or how many toys I actually own that don't piss away all my time like this.

Would you like a cuddle?

328FTW
10th November 2013, 13:57
Would you like a cuddle?

No but I accept apologies.

Katman
10th November 2013, 14:11
But clearly the answer is to come in here and call me shit for brains.....

Good to see the message is finally sinking in.

BMWST?
10th November 2013, 14:17
I am not a rocket scientist but i would doubt you will get any recourse withte engine seller...its at the wreckers for a reason

328FTW
10th November 2013, 14:34
Good to see the message is finally sinking in.

You're rude as hell you know that? Hopefully your tasteless comments are removed, you clearly aren't going to do anything other than take a dig at me.

Katman
10th November 2013, 14:36
You're rude as hell you know that? Hopefully your tasteless comments are removed, you clearly aren't going to do anything other than take a dig at me.

You really should take nodrog up on that cuddle offer.

jellywrestler
10th November 2013, 14:40
You really should take nodrog up on that cuddle offer.

be very careful steve, he's right this arvo looking for someone to jump in a set of leathers with him!!!

Katman
10th November 2013, 14:41
So would you like me to PM some of the other members that have helped me so I can make them aware what you think of their work to?

Don't PM them - post their names here.

Then we all get to see who's offer of help we should look to avoid.

Katman
10th November 2013, 14:42
be very careful steve, he's right this arvo looking for someone to jump in a set of leathers with him!!!

Please don't tell me he's in Taupo.

Berries
10th November 2013, 14:48
I got onto the road and gave it the berries.
Keep me out of it.

skippa1
10th November 2013, 14:51
No but I accept apologies.
Sorry you were so stupid

328FTW
10th November 2013, 14:53
Don't PM them - post their names here.

Then we all get to see who's offer of help we should look to avoid.

No because this is the exact kind of internet baiting and bullshit I don't drag others into. I appreciated the help, not going to repay that by dragging them into the stirpot you're trying to make. Do i irk you for some reason? Because you seem hell bent of making something of this.

Sorry you were so stupid

So where exactly did I go wrong? I literally took it down the road a few metres to put load on it, rolled the throttle. Noise was not camchain and before I can even get as far back as the driveway it dies. Is this some kind of hang up here or something else?

Madness
10th November 2013, 14:55
Do i irk you for some reason? Because you seem hell bent of making something of this.

Think of Katman as the S.P.C.A of motorcycles. I think he's got you pegged as a serial abuser.

328FTW
10th November 2013, 14:57
Think of Katman as the S.P.C.A of motorcycles. I think he's got you pegged as a serial abuser.

I have a couple but this one is the problem child. I don't have issues with the others I kick around on, not like this; it's almost comical by now.

nodrog
10th November 2013, 15:48
can somebody move this thread to jokes and humour? its got to be a pisstake.

328FTW
10th November 2013, 16:41
can somebody move this thread to jokes and humour? its got to be a pisstake.

What is it about you sidecar lot? You seem mighty angry and combative most of the time.

nodrog
10th November 2013, 16:53
What is it about you sidecar lot? You seem mighty angry and combative most of the time.

Fuck off dick, we do not! wanna fight?

Zedder
10th November 2013, 17:02
Angry, combative? This is mild, check out the thread about drug testing.

caseye
10th November 2013, 17:14
The OP seems to have the most unfortunate luck. 4 Engines in one bike?
Then without revving past 8 K gets the last one to hand grenade in less than 100 meters.
I'd have a go at the wrecker who sold you that one, just to see how far you get.

Ocean1
10th November 2013, 17:22
I'd have a go at the wrecker who sold you that one, just to see how far you get.

I'd be having a go at the wrecker to get my fucking money back! And I'd be pushing for costs in fitting the piece of shit as well.

I know the wrecker won't want to oblige, but it's past time some of 'em were reacquainted with the consumer goods act.

328FTW
10th November 2013, 17:24
Fuck off dick, we do not! wanna fight?

I've yet to sort this out, I've not slagged off the wrecker and just want my bike fixed and it's not my place to do so till I give him the chance. If people have a problem with me they can address it directly via PM. But I struggle to see why I shouldn't be just a little frustrated by now; or in fact what difference it makes when all that literally happened was say 3 minutes idling to stop the carbs sputtering like a dieing cat then going up the driveway, getting onto the road, rolling on and hearing it's not right and load makes things worse then it blowing ass before I can even turn around to put it back in the shop. This is literally right after being on my bike that works and I was getting around on being hit wrecking me and my gear.

I'll listen to everything I did wrong like a good little student right if you dress my knee/shin for me every night. Might even kiss you goodnight if you do a good job.

mossy1200
10th November 2013, 18:17
Sell up. Get refund on motor and buy a better bike.

Im getting good at advice now. Next