PDA

View Full Version : Sprint ST1050 becomes all it was meant to be

Paul in NZ
10th November 2013, 09:58
Well I rode up to New Plymouth on thursday evening. Usual mixed bag weather wise - great to Hawea and while I was in Macca's enjoying a chicken salad (yes they were shocked as well) the thunder cell that had bee floating off the starboard flank along the coast turn into me... Hail, rain, thunder and heaps of flashes and bangs. Rather exciting but it was getting late so on we went. Not a single bed to be found in NP. (garden festival) but a very nice lady at the Belt Road campground found me a room... (thank you - fantastic service) and a place to park the bike.

Anyway - at Kiwi Suspension Services at 8:30. Met the clever Mr Taylor and Dennis and had a coffee before being dropped into town by Mrs Taylor. After the month I've had a whole day simply wandering about and doing bugger all was BLISS. Slowly went through the museum, read a bike mag cover to cover under a shade tree and scoffed coffee... wonderful...

Picked up again by the wonderful Mrs T and back to KSS to watch in amazement as Robert put the shock in and out getting it 'just so'... He was explaining it all too me but a lot of it when whoosh over my head (sorry) but it started making sense on the way home.

Job done and RT took it for a test fang and then my turn to do likewise. I may as well have just parked around the bend as I could feel the difference just riding across the car park. Stunning transformation and I mean stunning... I'm still shaking my head in wonderment.

After a long day it was back on the bike and head off home to Kapiti.

Observations...

Handling aside - the reduction in handlebar vibes was worth it alone. NO dead fingers or cramps on the way home - I'm staggered....

The handling? I kid you not its an utterly different bike. UTTERLY. Before it could accelerate like a bandit and change direction but not seemingly do both at the same time leading to a few interesting 'moments'. Now it just goes where I want it to go and holds the line - it feels like a sporty bike and not some kind of barge. The trip home was completed in a dream state scarcely believing what i was riding - this was the bike I had wanted... Sensational.... The handling is now just rock solid!

So - new shock on the rear and forks modified. The cost when added to the purchase price still puts me under my budget for a bike to replace the Guzzi and it is now just sensational. I just cannot believe how much i enjoyed the ride home (well the sticky fog Levin to Otaki was horrible).

The folks at KSS really looked after me and IMHO it was worth every cent..

More later - got to catch up on work and family...

Hitcher
10th November 2013, 17:57
I agree that one does not need to ride particularly far to notice the effect great suspension can have on one's ride.

Gremlin
10th November 2013, 18:19
Good to hear Paul, I replaced the BMW suspension with Ohlins courtesy of Dr Rob as well.

The only real problem is that it spoils you, and then everything else you ride doesn't quite satisfy you... Change bikes and another visit to New Plymouth will likely be on the cards :lol:

Ocean1
10th November 2013, 19:02
Excellent news. The Buell is paying Mr T a visit this week for some fork fettling before continuing on to more northern climes.

Don't you love stuff that works like it's supposed to?

I've got an early morning Friday...

Paul in NZ
11th November 2013, 18:58
Excellent news. The Buell is paying Mr T a visit this week for some fork fettling before continuing on to more northern climes.

If my experience is anything to go by you wont regret it....

vifferman
11th November 2013, 20:29

Safe trip, Sir! (And an even more enjoyable one home, eh?)

Mental Trousers
11th November 2013, 20:48
Cheapest way to get a new bike is to upgrade to decent suspension.

Blackbird
11th November 2013, 21:09
......... and get a longer tyre life. My tyres lasted on average another 2000 km after I fitted a Penske rear shock and upgraded fork internals to my Blackbird.

BuzzardNZ
12th November 2013, 07:42
I'm thinking of getting the SV done in Jan. Will have to check with Dr Bob that he's open over that period.

Never heard a bad report from anyone who has been to him, so I'm really looking forward to getting my crap suspension sorted once and for all.

Bender
12th November 2013, 07:48
Dr T gave my TDM the front fork treatment - transformed the bike. It no longer wants to disappear off the road whenever I hit a mid-corner bump. Plushness plus.

Ocean1
12th November 2013, 21:03
If my experience is anything to go by you wont regret it....

Well I don't plan on regretting it. :laugh: Someone famous once had some advice to the effect that one should buy the best front tyre you can afford, and something round and black for the back. Clever chap, whoever he was. I've become tolerably blasé over the years about the back end of motorcycles wandering around a bit, but I do get concerned when the front steps out a bit. Probably because I've found that by the time I've registered the fact it's usually too late to avoid the consequences.

So, while there's not a lot wrong with the Buell's Showa kit I'm going through the process of obtaining the best front suspension I can afford.

Safe trip, Sir! (And an even more enjoyable one home, eh?)

Thanks Ian, looking forward to a week off.

Paul in NZ
20th November 2013, 08:25
Well - after figuring out the best shock setting for a pillion using headlight levels we set out for a first 2 up spin post resuspending... OMG.... Its possibly even MORE dramatic an improvement with a pillion. Vicki was simply a stunned mullet - the bike is now an impressive pillion hauler....

F5 Dave
21st November 2013, 16:23
Good to here dude. I decided to do my Tigger just after buying it, that way the money you spend into it it enjoyed for the longest possible time = better value for money.

Bikes are generally good these days, but accountants trim from where they can to make em competitive. Suspension suffers. 'Fully adjustable' is just a bad joke.

AllanB
21st November 2013, 18:16
'Fully adjustable' is just a bad joke.

But you can adjust it from bad to worse!

Agree on Mr T's skills and ace service.

Paul in NZ
22nd November 2013, 06:37
But you can adjust it from bad to worse!

Yes - I could run a course on THAT!