PDA

View Full Version : The Caravan is done

Maha
12th November 2013, 18:03
We have had the Caravan home for a while now, it has been at the beach for about 8 years and really needed some TLC. Almost every fine day over the past 3 months or so has been spent working on the Caravan, weekends/after work weather permitting, being an out door project.
All that is needed now is for the stabilizers/jockey wheel and spare wheel brace to be cut off, new stabilizers put on and it's job done. Getting the welding done has been the biggest set back with at least 6 people not overly keen to do it. We finally have someone set to do it (for a box of beers) after we get back from the Cape ride.
Taking the black stripes off the side was an effort, needed heat.
Ripped out all the black external trim and painted the track silver.

The original list of things to do grew and grew and have yet to total up the cost but it's been worth it, plus I got me some new tools! Mitre10 Mega did really well out of us, and the staff were amazingly helpful.
The Caravan is a 1976 Liteweight Five Star
It was carpeted with just a small bit of vinyl in the kitchen area, that's all gone and replaced with a non slip vinyl throughout, curtains have been replaced as has the roman blind with a black venetian blind. I made new magnetic insect screens for a couple of window and the roof vents, painted all the cupboard handles because new ones would not quite fit the existing holes. We got rid of the 3 way fridge/2 burner gas cooker and bought a new fridge that fits perfectly in the gap. Cooking is done outside anyway. Had a plug put on the old 3 way fridge and use it as a beer fridge in the awning.
The carpet arrived today, just needed a mat in the lounge area.

It got to the stage that everything I touched, something else needed to done, but apart from the feet, it's done!

Akzle
12th November 2013, 18:34
mines way cooler. but it looks like your would fit more hookers.

Madness
12th November 2013, 18:49
Beige. Interesting choice.

Have you seen the telly show recently where they've turned the whole side of what looks like a 40-footer caravan into a tilt down deck?

http://www.smeguk.com/smeg_uk/images/640/294/GeorgeClarke.jpg

Blackbird
12th November 2013, 19:00
Very nice work Maha but don't you dare bring it to the Coromandel Peninsula. Roads are clogged enough with tourist vans ruining my fun, let alone caravans doing 30 km/ hour up the Thames Coast road :laugh:

SPman
12th November 2013, 19:00
Looking good - slightly older than ours. We did up the interior, but left the exterior, reckoning that, if we had the tattiest looking caravan in the park (with good locks), any light fingers would go for the flash Gin Palaces that are always around....

We found the same - always something else to do - ripped out the little bed and put in a queen size - new microwave, fridge,TV/DVD, more power points, internal and external, re laminated over the orange laminate with something more subdued, new vinyl/carpet, Air con unit, rear view camera, adjusted the electric brakes and she's sweet.

phill-k
12th November 2013, 19:17
very nice job that, well done

Mom
12th November 2013, 19:24
Very nice work Maha but don't you dare bring it to the Coromandel Peninsula. Roads are clogged enough with tourist vans ruining my fun, let alone caravans doing 30 km/ hour up the Thames Coast road :laugh:

You are safe there. We will happily move it north, once, and leave it there till next time. It travels on a transporter these days :sunny:

very nice job that, well done

Thanks, it has been a bit of a project, Mark has done an awesome job.

Mom
12th November 2013, 19:30

The best things about the colours we chose, the beige one if you like, has a neat association with a really awesome friend of ours, and the whole colour scheme is something of a nod to a really lovely elderly couple we camp with.

Have you seen the telly show recently where they've turned the whole side of what looks like a 40-footer caravan into a tilt down deck?

Very cool. I still would not swap our van for that. Too much love vested in our van.

Maha
12th November 2013, 20:08

The colour is called Hay Stack, fits with the retro look, we chose two colours from the awning. Yes I have seen that show but no the end result.

JimO
12th November 2013, 20:12
here is mine

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF0601.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/user/jim157/media/DSCF0601.jpg.html)

Hitcher
12th November 2013, 21:19
Caravan? Gahh! Thud.

merv
12th November 2013, 22:00
Wonder if Jeremy Clarkson would join KB and pass comment.

skippa1
12th November 2013, 22:11
Nice work. I did up a caravan a few years back and know how much work is involved. Looks awesome

EJK
13th November 2013, 07:11
Caravans on a biker site? That's like asking for help about Samsung phones in an Apple forum!

unstuck
13th November 2013, 08:28
Mate bought the same sort of caravan for $500 last thursday. I thought it would be a write off at that price, but it is actually not in too bad a shape. Good work on your one guys, looks real purty.:2thumbsup

SMOKEU
13th November 2013, 08:44
You better not be one of those selfish cunts who takes pleasure in holding up traffic when you know there is no safe place for other vehicles to overtake.

Mom
13th November 2013, 08:55
You better not be one of those selfish cunts who takes pleasure in holding up traffic when you know there is no safe place for other vehicles to overtake.

That would not be us. This van lives t the beach and never gets towed on the road.

SMOKEU
13th November 2013, 09:47
That would not be us. This van lives t the beach and never gets towed on the road.

Excellent. :msn-wink:

Maha
13th November 2013, 10:56

Once when I did tow it, there were no cars behind me at Kaiwaka and about 6 kms down the road, just before an overtaking lane, I pulled over and counted 25 cars!

Maha
13th November 2013, 10:57
Caravan? Gahh! Thud.

People who play Ukulele's? an even bigger Gahh Thud.

SPman
13th November 2013, 16:32
Once when I did tow it, there were no cars behind me at Kiawaka and about 6 kms down the road, just before an overtaking lane, I pulled over and counted 25 cars!
..and you were only sitting on 110kph.......:msn-wink:

Maha
13th November 2013, 17:52
..and you were only sitting on 110kph.......:msn-wink:

It's starts to sway an anything over 80kph John, 17ft with a single axel. It has brakes though, which helps when on a downhill.

JimO
13th November 2013, 18:15
fuck you lot i always hog the road and speed up on passing lanes, no ones getting past me