PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting

Sheep Dags
15th January 2004, 16:06
Hi,

I was reading another thread about not being able to start a bike etc etc but my problem's a wee bit different. Pretty much every time I go to start my bike, regardless if it's been sitting around for weeks or overnight, it just won't start. It's a 2 stroke NSR and when cold, I can be kicking for minutes before anything will happen. So now I just turn the key and push it down the road... Then it starts fine. I can start it warm fine, but anything over 2 hours of not using it and it's a bastard. I've just recently changed the plugs and that didn't make a lick of difference, which fuckin pissed me off cause they cost me a fortune. Anyone got any ideas? Maybe something wrong with the choke?
Thanks heaps,
Mike

MrMelon
15th January 2004, 16:15
I find with mine if you gently just push the kickstarter down once right to the bottom, then give it a good kick after that it usually starts first time... dunno if that'll help you tho.

Racey Rider
15th January 2004, 20:28
My KR 250 sp does exactly the same thing. Now carry a can of CRC engine start to the track with me.
But the RGV I had was real easy to start.
The RG 150 I had was a bit temperamental at times when cold. After a number of kicks, it would fire up,, just,,and die if you twisted the throttle.
Then sometimes it would fire first kick and be fine.

Two strokes! What can you do?!

curious george
15th January 2004, 20:53
What's the battery like? Post a voltage.And the rest of the connections?
General condition of the bike/what's it run like warmed up?

SPman
15th January 2004, 22:13
I find with mine if you gently just push the kickstarter down once right to the bottom, then give it a good kick after that it usually starts first time...
If it doesnt foul a plug...:Oops:

MrMelon
15th January 2004, 22:23
If it doesnt foul a plug...:Oops:
:(

It's getting looked at tomorrow!

Sheep Dags
17th January 2004, 15:37
ummmm,

Na it's all good once warmed up, it goes sweet.
The only thing is when it's cold it won't start. When warm it will start sweet.

Should the battery even make a difference? Cause it is a kickstart so the battery shouldn't make a difference should it? Specially seeing as it starts first kick when warm anyway.

Should I take it into a bike mechanic to see what's going on? Maybe they can help me... how much you reckon that's gonna cost?

Cause it's a sweet bike but this is the only problem with it, and I'm about to put it on the market to sell but don't want to sell it with any problems.

thanks,
Mike

curious george
17th January 2004, 17:19
Yes, the battery does affect the initial start. It should start charging after that. If you have a multimeter, you can test that.
If you dont, pm me, and I'll test it for you :cool:

If you want to sell, I may know somebody........
Checked plugs? not old/fouled? How well does it spark? How is the compression?

bondagebunny
17th January 2004, 18:30
turn the gas off when you stop - on 2 strokes you should do so everytime you stop, if you have a faulty tap the crankcase gets gas in it and it can make it hard to start,
also you havent mentioned if you use the choke for cold starts

Redstar
17th January 2004, 18:49
Good advice turn off the fuel tap between runs. and before you try to start it next time whip out a plug first and see if its dry. sounds like a fouled plug to me or a gap issue I have a victa mower 2 stroke and if you leave the fule tap on forget it the principle has to be the same.

Sheep Dags
18th January 2004, 09:18
Thanks guys,

Yea na I leave the fuel tap on all the time but it always starts when warm (eg anywhere up to an hour after riding last), so don't really think it could be that. I have recently changed the plugs and when i changed them the exact same thing still happened so don't think it is the plugs either. I've also got a Victa 2 Stroke mower casue i'm a lawnmowing contractor and I find that if I leave the fuel on I have trouble starting it... But I've tried that before too, turning the tap off after a ride and yet still have the same trouble. You reckon it would be a good idea to drain the fuel out of the line before turning it off?

Also, would it make any difference that I stop the bike with the key, not with the engine stop button? Cause I do that too :P

If anyone's interested in buying it, let me know... This is the only problem I have with it, otherwise she runs pretty sweet.

Andrew
18th January 2004, 19:42
If its not starting from cold could possibly be the engine getting tired? The compression is probably too weak.

Dave
20th January 2004, 17:48
If its not starting from cold could possibly be the engine getting tired? The compression is probably too weak.

I think you could be right there andrew-Also try it without using the choke-
Oh, and don't turn the throttle until after it fires.

750Y
21st January 2004, 15:27
my grandfather would always make me turn the tap off on the 2 strokes and let it idle to a stop, especially if parking up for the night. It's also nice for the engine to settle to an idle & the temperature to settle after a ride & plus you get to listen to it and can 'tune in' & pick up on any problems etc.

Sheep Dags
21st January 2004, 16:35
Sweet, thanks guys. I'll try all that out and see what happens.

- Mike

PeteThePom
29th January 2004, 14:27
One other possibility, you say it starts easy if you bump start it from cold?

Does it tickover nice and smooth once the engine has warmed up?
Have you noticed any drop in the gearbox oil level?

Sheep Dags
29th January 2004, 18:55
Yep, starts pretty easily if jumped from cold... and yea, absolutely no problems once it gets going... smokes a lot cold but so do all 2 strokes.

.... oh and gearbox oil?? Where would i check that? :/

PeteThePom
29th January 2004, 23:16
Yep, starts pretty easily if jumped from cold... and yea, absolutely no problems once it gets going... smokes a lot cold but so do all 2 strokes.

.... oh and gearbox oil?? Where would i check that? :/
If I remeber correctly yours is a NS yeah?
Gearbox oil level check is on right hand crankcase, you should see what looks like a regular oil filler cap and thats where u check the level, the point I was getting at is maybe, and this is a maybe it might be that your crank seals are leaking, if they are you'd notice a loss of gearbox/primary drive oil and also that oil would smell of petrol due to contamination across the seals, but you didn't answer me on the tickover issue.....................

JeremyW
19th August 2006, 12:36
Talking about difficulties starting I am having trouble getting my new (well 88' but new for me) CR125 started. It has wicked compression (kicks back!) so its not that, how would I check if the plug is fouled? If so does that mean a new plug? Sometimes it will start and then have a few ticks over and die again!

Any suggestions would be good cus I want to take it out tomorrow!

Cactuz
29th November 2006, 09:28
Hey mate I had this issue on my GSXF400, I spent 2 monts of afternoons cleaning carbs, changing sparks, batteries the lot and found out it was something simple.
Bike needs 3 things to turn, Spark, Air and Fuel

Spark: Take out a spark plug, connect the ignition cable and hold it against the engine block and crank her over. You should have a bright blue spark (not white). Make sure u hold the cable and not the plug so u dont shock ur self. If there's a weak spark get ur self a jump start kit n increase the current

Air: Try cranking with the air filter off, if it starts then u need to change filter

Fuel: To make sure that fuel n air isn't the issue, when u pull out the spark plugs put a little bit (i mean little, like a 600ml drink bottle cap full) of fuel into each piston through the spark plug hole. If it starts or wants to start then you know that is the problem. Make sure the fuel lines dont have holes or cracks, i found the only thing wrong with my bike was that i had a very very tiny hole in the fuel vaccume tube that goes from the tank to the carby.
Or your fuel might be old, Fuel tents to turn into a jelly after 3-4 weeks of sitting still so change the tank and drain the carbs. (if u wanna know how to do this let me know).

Hope this helps bud!
Cactuz

Cactuz
29th November 2006, 09:35
Talking about difficulties starting I am having trouble getting my new (well 88' but new for me) CR125 started. It has wicked compression (kicks back!) so its not that, how would I check if the plug is fouled? If so does that mean a new plug? Sometimes it will start and then have a few ticks over and die again!

Any suggestions would be good cus I want to take it out tomorrow!
Read the post above. Buy your self a spark plug spanner and take them out. You can tell alot from just the plug, check the colour of the ceramic on the plug. It should be a light grey, not white (running too lean) and not black (too rich). When u pull it out check that there is metal left sticking out of the housing on the tip, if so give it a good scrub with sand paper and also do the same to the inside of the arm that comes above it. (if you fold the sand paper so u got grit on both sides you can prob do this at the same time. Check the gap between the arm and spark head and see if u can get a good spark against the cylinder head. If not, go to motomail clearence store first, they have a box of assorted spark plugs on clearence for $1 EACH!!! hope u can find the right ones there

Hope this helps
Cactuz