PDA

View Full Version : South Island: Feb/March: Molesworth - Lake Tennyson - St Arnaud - Lake Rotoiti?

Tazz
14th November 2013, 17:40
Hoping to do a bit of a trip in Feb/March, all things going to plan.

Thought maybe blat down the Molesworth to Hamner, fuel up, head back in and up to Lake Tennyson for the night, then up to St Arnaud and into Lake Rotoiti and Rotoroa. I have never been in there so need to take a closer look at some maps but I believe there is a loop track? Could do a second night there and then home or maybe just have a look then carry on to one of the huts around the Leatham River (river level dependant probably but should be a pretty safe bet that time of year).

Would be cool to have just a few bikes and just wing it a bit according to pace, but in the unlikely event of quite a bit of interest I'll sort out a proper itinerary.

Got some room in Picton for a few bodies indoors and a bit of flat grass for a couple of tents if anyone needs em before/after.

Post up if you're keen and any dates that do or don't suit.

BMWST?
23rd December 2013, 14:45
Porika track its steepish and a bit rocky at the lake end

NiggleC
27th December 2013, 18:53
Rode my BMW 1100GS down the Porika a few years ago. So easily doable for anything better suited. I was in no way tempted to try riding the thing up tho'.

BMWST?
28th December 2013, 09:03
Rode my BMW 1100GS down the Porika a few years ago. So easily doable for anything better suited. I was in no way tempted to try riding the thing up tho'.
so you came down to the lake?I went over from the lake with my brother in his 4wd was quite rough and loose in quite a few places last xmas

Tazz
28th December 2013, 12:16
so you came down to the lake?I went over from the lake with my brother in his 4wd was quite rough and loose in quite a few places last xmas

Nice Cruiser. Is that one a 4.5L V8 TD?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDBkaFKSkJAiKsE1w2-HpS9nqR2u1c40nSwffo11jEqUXeLSvdDg

BMWST?
28th December 2013, 12:29
Nice Cruiser. Is that one a 4.5L V8 TD?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDBkaFKSkJAiKsE1w2-HpS9nqR2u1c40nSwffo11jEqUXeLSvdDg

yep,a little understressed at 150kw,good torque though

Tazz
28th December 2013, 12:37
yep,a little understressed at 150kw,good torque though

Yup, room for easy improvement there, on the torque front too, but I would happily take one as it is =D although I heard some of them had a few problems with thin cylinder walls or something? Thought that was a Range Rover thing haha. Could be wrong on that though but I remember hearing about a few low K horror stories and less than stella reviews from the first batch.

BMWST?
28th December 2013, 14:59
Yup, room for easy improvement there, on the torque front too, but I would happily take one as it is =D although I heard some of them had a few problems with thin cylinder walls or something? Thought that was a Range Rover thing haha. Could be wrong on that though but I remember hearing about a few low K horror stories and less than stella reviews from the first batch.

My brother has had his from the start,doesnt get huge use,but he hasnt had any trouble.

NiggleC
28th December 2013, 18:51

Yes ST - came in from the Howard and then down to the lake. Had done it a few years earlier on my old R80G/S so knew what to expect. The track looks like it has been improved quite a bit in the photo of the Toyota.

BMWST?
28th December 2013, 20:46

Yes ST - came in from the Howard and then down to the lake. Had done it a few years earlier on my old R80G/S so knew what to expect. The track looks like it has been improved quite a bit in the photo of the Toyota.

you know that pictures can be deceiving.There some places that i thought we would struggle but as you may know a 4wd can have amazing traction so apart from some 3 point turns we didnt have any worries.