PDA

View Full Version : I've cracked two slow-cooker bowls so far

F5 Dave
25th November 2013, 14:38
Russel Slobbs 3.5l slow cooker. Works well but we cracked the bowl after a couple of years. Worked out cheaper to buy a new one on super special ~$45 at the time.

Was much more careful to avoid thermal shocks & not put it in the dishwasher.

Same result. Cracked after about 2 years.

So if bowl available & not expensive I suppose I keep going, but otherwise I'm jumping ship. Problem is they all seem to look like they're made in the same factory.

Anyone with another brand (still current) with better success than me?

Drew
25th November 2013, 14:47
$22.50 a year, and you're still not happy.

Bloody Jew.

Drew
25th November 2013, 14:48
On a serious note, we've got one here that's about four years old that hasn't cracked. But it hardly got used.

F5 Dave
25th November 2013, 15:49
I'm getting a bit bored of the growing pile of appliances that electrically work fine but I can't use. If they sold new bowls at $25 & I got 2yrs out of them I'd be fine with that.

Seriously though a curry in one is awesome, as is a chilli once you learn how to drive them (easy to make bland slops if you don't think about it/experiment). Obviously better for winter, but chilli is a great fri night people round meal. Damn, still only monday.

mashman
25th November 2013, 16:02
Less gunpowder.

Drew
25th November 2013, 17:02
I'm getting a bit bored of the growing pile of appliances that electrically work fine but I can't use. If they sold new bowls at $25 & I got 2yrs out of them I'd be fine with that.

Seriously though a curry in one is awesome, as is a chilli once you learn how to drive them (easy to make bland slops if you don't think about it/experiment). Obviously better for winter, but chilli is a great fri night people round meal. Damn, still only monday.I hadn't thought about curry done in the slow cooker. Cheers man.

Could you not fashion a heater to set your devcon from a bowless one?

george formby
25th November 2013, 17:19
Put one of THESE (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/kitchen-laundry-appliances/small-appliances/slow-cookers-crock-pots/breville-bpr200-the-fast-slow-pressure-cooker/prod106044.html?gclid=COuq17CW_7oCFQ9afgod2ngA2A) on your Christmas list.
Don't pay full price, though. Got mine for $130 IIRC.
Best of both worlds, fast & slow. Mines still like new after 2 years commercial use & a good thrashing at home.
The food from the pressure cooker tastes like it was made yesterday, ya know what I mean. Ham hock soup, curries, stews etc but only takes 45 mins to an hour. Trick is to let it sit for 20 minutes after cooking to let the pressure ebb at it's own speed. Slow cooker works great, too. 6 or 8 hour cook.

F5 Dave
25th November 2013, 18:59
​hmm, ok thanks. Not quite that rich this year.

george formby
25th November 2013, 19:11
​hmm, ok thanks. Not quite that rich this year.

Yeah, ditto. I wouldn't be buying one right now either. But. Keep your eye on trade me, briscoes sale etc. You never know.

I like Breville as a brand overall. Never had a dud off them. See what they do in the way of crack pots.

Oakie
25th November 2013, 19:13
I guess ours must be 5 years old and still undamaged ... oh, apart from the power knob thing on the front which broke in half so now I turnn it off and on with a pair of pliers.

I wish I had a 'power knob' on front.

koba
25th November 2013, 19:18
Doubt it's still current but our $20 Kambrook one is still going after about 5 years or reasonable;e use.

Another slow-cooker tip is it can be used to keep your KFC warm, good for nibblefood at a big pissup or the like.

Berg
25th November 2013, 19:47
Don't allow water near the un glazed part of the bowl when you wash it. Water gets absorbed into the ceramic then bugger's it when it gets heated. Well that's what I got told anyway

far queue
25th November 2013, 20:54
Mine are Zip ones - a 6.5L and a 3.5L. The bowls get washed in the dishwasher or fully immersed in the sink, whichever is convenient at the time. The 6.5L is about 10 years old and the 3.5L about 6 years old. Never had a problem. Got 'em from Briscoes.

Akzle
25th November 2013, 21:34
stovetop. Stainless. Try cracking that bitch.

kevfromcoro
25th November 2013, 21:42
yes.. I have 1.... its not that big,,, but ok,,,,, never broke it. just cook in it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
its great

Str8 Jacket
26th November 2013, 06:16
Seriously, WTF?! Men talking about crock pots and their asscoiated uses on a biking forum - this is awesomeness! :laugh:

avgas
26th November 2013, 07:26
Seriously, WTF?! Men talking about crock pots and their asscoiated uses on a biking forum - this is awesomeness! :laugh:
Hang around dear. Tomorrow we talk about shoving cloves of garlic between our toes to remove toe-jam. Its a double whammy as you can chuck them in the next days roast when your done with them

Str8 Jacket
26th November 2013, 07:28
Hang around dear. Tomorrow we talk about shoving cloves of garlic between our toes to remove toe-jam. Its a double whammy as you can chuck them in the next days roast when your done with them

Mate, I can't wait!

Akzle
26th November 2013, 08:12

they can be plumbed as stills. And alcohol and bikes go together like jews and ovens.

Banditbandit
26th November 2013, 08:33
We've had our crock pot for more than 20 years - and it still cooks very well ... I did some hare in it last Sunday ... (I think it's Ralta - or Maybe Zip .. dunno . just cook in it regularly)

Maybe cooking skills just aren't your thing ...

http://i.imgur.com/kgvwh.jpg

Str8 Jacket
26th November 2013, 08:36
they can be plumbed as stills. And alcohol and bikes go together like jews and ovens.

We have a still and a chest freezer with a temperature controller for ours. The crock pot cooks meat that goes with the beer! ;)

Erelyes
26th November 2013, 08:44
We got a George Foreskin 6.5l one, made in the same factory as... pretty much every other one

No recipies on this thread yet? Bah humbug.

Pulled pork -
1kg pork shoulder roast
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c coke
1/2 c chicken stock
1/2 c apple juice
1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 T Chilli
1/2 T Cajun spice
1/2 T Salt
1/8 t Cinnamon

1 C BBQ Sauce

Slice onion lay on base of slow cooker
Rub spices into pork, put in slow cooker
Pour in all liquids (except BBQ sauce)
Cook on low for 8 hours
Remove pork and pull until shredded
Drain liquid and reserve
Return pork to slow cooker
Add bbq sauce and enough of reserved liquid to make nice and moist
Cook for further 1/2 hour then serve.

This makes a nice medium-spiced pork, you can tinker with spice to suit if you want. Nice in home-baked rolls.

F5 Dave
26th November 2013, 09:08
Bowls seems to be glazed all around on ours.

ok Zip ones might be next to try.

Thanks.