PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and few queries (2.zero.zero)

2.zero.zero
27th November 2013, 20:31
Hi all,

I have been a member for a while, though haven't been active at all due to not having a bike. I've been a huge bike fan for past 8 years when I learnt to ride one but never got around to getting one.

2 weeks ago, I was bored at work so looked up some bikes (as you do), and saw an 89 CBR250R going super cheap. Went to view with a mate who knows his bike and within 4 hours, I was the owner. I decided if it wasn't impulse, it wouldn't happen!

Looking forward to getting more acquainted with the site and community! However was hoping I could get some help. I know very little about riding so was seeking posts about accessories (jackets - leather vs textile, helmets, gloves and other essentials). I will continue to look through the forums but any direction or links to good posts/reads for new riders will be appreciated! I already went through some of the stickies and loving the info available!

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you guys. Cheers TH

hayd3n
27th November 2013, 21:22
welcome :)

monkeymsea
28th November 2013, 07:42
Welcome along,
I have recently got back into riding and the flatmate has just gotten into it.
We should have a ride out the the SASS that they have on a Tuesday night and meet some of the crew.
we are in Centralish auckland as well

Grashopper
28th November 2013, 08:57
Hi and welcome :)

Trademe is good for gear, especially when you're in AKL, but buy a Helmet new (try a few and buy the one that fits). There are lots of bike shops in AKL and I recommend buy as good gear as you can afford.

These places have in-expensive gear: http://www.lifestyle-imports.co.nz/shop/, http://www.1tonne.co.nz/

The Leather/Army surplus shop in Onehunga Mall has used bike gear.

And when you have gear then get some good training before you go on the roads. Eight years is a long time between learning to ride and getting back on the road. For example have a look here: http://www.prorider.co.nz/ They have subsidised day courses from a little as $20(!)

Have fun :)

HenryDorsetCase
28th November 2013, 10:38
Greetings Earthling

Buy a helmet and gloves new. Don't forget to buy boots. My opinion is that any boot is better than no boot but motorcycle boots are better than nonmotorcycle boots.

you can get away with a second hand jacket. If I only had one jacket I would go for a touring style one (longer, four pocket) with removable thermal and rain liners. Particularly in Orkers.

I ride in jeans a lot. Sometimes even motorcycle jeans. People who do the ATGATT thing will bleat about that. Remember that it is a tradeoff between comfort/safety/convenience and its your decision. Jorts and a tank top and flip flops probably not so good.

Remember even your Dainese D Air power ranger suit will not protect you if you get hit by a car and/or run over by a truck.

oh yeah: one of the best bang for buck vs dollars spent: do some training. I think they* are subsidising those courses again so you only have to spend like $50 of your own coin.

*ACC? the po po? someone.

Tazz
28th November 2013, 11:07
Did you get the black one or the white one? If the same two were still on tardme I was eyeing them up a few weeks back as well but an RR popped up before the dude got back to me so I pulled the trigger on that instead.

Enjoy the bike man!

2.zero.zero
28th November 2013, 22:00
Thanks guys. Great links and some very good advice!

I already bought some gloves, Rjays from Red Baron (please don't shoot!) and eyeing up some helmets online (Contemplating between LS2 and Bell Vortex - budget around NZD 250 - 300). But first thing on the list is a jacket, thinking of going leather first (~$300) then add a textile down the road for wet days when I'm more competent - feel free to correct me if this is a wrong logic.

@monkeymsea - Yea for sure. Just wanting to sort out the basics first before going on proper rides though. Will definitely be in touch once all the ground work is done.

@Tazz - I grabbed the blue one with the missing fairing. The asking price was good so I knew it wouldn't last long. Needs a bit of cosmetic work (will keep me busy over summer) but engine is in great nick!

Thanks again for all the input!

Tazz
28th November 2013, 22:43
Noice. So quick I didn't even see that one haha. Pics or it never happened!

As for gears, I'm new to bikes as well and much prefer wearing good kevlar jeans and a cordura or whatever the fark it's called jacket than my leathers unless I'm going on a long trip (anything over 2 hours is long I guess), if that's any help =P

I got zip together leathers though so my jacket is pretty much a tank top without the pants :laugh: if it wasn't for that I'd possibly wear it with the jeans, but a decent cordura jacket is way more practical in my limited experience (pockets for Africa, one or two removable inner layers, vents etc etc).

One thing I learnt the hard way is to look up reviews on how noisy whatever model helmet you're interested in is before you buy (or try it if they let you). I got one that is incredibly comfortable, but noisy as fark :facepalm:, even with decent earplugs :cry:. I don't know if I will have any hearing left by the time I can afford to replace it :laugh: