PDA

View Full Version : Wow! That was a lot of police people!

strandedinnz
29th November 2013, 07:51
Nelson street in Auckland has a minimum of 20 police people and 5 cars on it at the moment ... seem to be targeting red light jumpers.

Hell of a lot of resources booked out for that .... anyone fancy robbing a bank today ? No one available to stop you! :shifty:

jasonu
29th November 2013, 08:00
Nelson street in Auckland has a minimum of 20 police people and 5 cars on it at the moment ... seem to be targeting red light jumpers.

Hell of a lot of resources booked out for that .... anyone fancy robbing a bank today ? No one available to stop you! :shifty:

Time and resources well spent. Better than writing tickets for doing 104kph on the motorway.

Stirts
29th November 2013, 08:06

No, they are just picking up their xmas party donut order from Scratch Bakery.

Erelyes
29th November 2013, 08:10

You seriously think they don't call people off jobs to go to something more important? I got away without a ticket for that reason once, they got something urgent called through on the RT! :wings:

Rhys
29th November 2013, 08:16
Time and resources well spent. Better than writing tickets for doing 104kph on the motorway.
Couldn't put it any better myself

duckonin
29th November 2013, 08:36

:facepalm: You are joking of course !

willytheekid
29th November 2013, 08:43
<_<...want worse?

On the ride home yesterday (Northern CHCh), went through woodend and noticed the pub carpark was packed with bikers!...thought, ahhh, burt munro! (gave wave etc etc)

Then guess what I saw?

No shit...19 marked police cars!!!, and two "undercover" cars (that where speeding in a 50k zone:facepalm:)...all heading back into town after the revenue grab.

...friggin over kill or what?

and the absolute WORST part of it...not one of them waved back! :laugh:

meanwhile....in central city chch
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Chisinau_riot_2009-04-07_02.jpg
:killingme

anyone heading down this year...you have been warned!, I think they may be collecting wallets? :confused:

Zedder
29th November 2013, 08:45
You seriously think they don't call people off jobs to go to something more important? I got away without a ticket for that reason once, they got something urgent called through on the RT! :wings:

You mean they were probably going to higher revenue gathering event...

strandedinnz
29th November 2013, 08:47
You seriously think they don't call people off jobs to go to something more important?

Ummm ... the humour gene skipped you by ?

That aside .. if they have bottled up a significant percentage of their resources to one small area, and their presence is causing traffic to back up in the area and surrounding streets, and they are on foot (yes most of the police were not sitting in a car and were walking! Very rare sight ...), how are they supposed to rapidly respond to an important incident ?

I'm all for getting red light jumpers (camera on my bike would have recorded 2 this morning at least), but to me the scale of the operation today seemed over the top and more of a big wigs ego exercise to show they are "doing something", good for the press releases I suppose.

The Reibz
29th November 2013, 08:50
"Mate yah fucked, no WOF/No Reg/Bald Tires, heres a pink sticker cunt!!!"
Just in time for christmas. Toughest time of year, I know I could do with a couple of extra bucks right now

Zedder
29th November 2013, 08:56
Ummm ... the humour gene skipped you by ?

That aside .. if they have bottled up a significant percentage of their resources to one small area, and their presence is causing traffic to back up in the area and surrounding streets, and they are on foot (yes most of the police were not sitting in a car and were walking! Very rare sight ...), how are they supposed to rapidly respond to an important incident ?

I'm all for getting red light jumpers (camera on my bike would have recorded 2 this morning at least), but to me the scale of the operation today seemed over the top and more of a big wigs ego exercise to show they are "doing something", good for the press releases I suppose.

It does seem strange they would be doing this when they had a campaign specifically targetting red light runners that ran for a month and finished in October. Apparently red light runners cost "us" $43 million a year.

Jay GTI
29th November 2013, 09:05
Interesting, saw a couple of them hiding behind a parked car on Howe St this morning with a tax gun, which isn't far from Nelson St. Something going on it the area.

Devil
29th November 2013, 10:17
Came throught there this morning, no problem whatsoever. That area is so common for red runners and people doing 70km/h+ down Nelson. They should hit that intersection more often.

wharekura
29th November 2013, 10:35
Came throught there this morning, no problem whatsoever. That area is so common for red runners and people doing 70km/h+ down Nelson. They should hit that intersection more often.
We have a heap of idiots jumping red lights in cowtown (hamilton) and I do not mind the copas pinging these pricks. revenue gathering or not, the red light bastards are flipin dangerous to us bikers - especially those of us that commute to work on our bikes and not just on the nice sunny weekends.

Swoop
29th November 2013, 11:18
EXCELLENT!

Good on the cops for doing that.

caspernz
29th November 2013, 11:35

Yep that's a waste of resources alright. Instead of a red light campaign a sniper would be a real deterrent...and longer lasting :laugh:

Zedder
29th November 2013, 12:36
Yep that's a waste of resources alright. Instead of a red light campaign a sniper would be a real deterrent...and longer lasting :laugh:

But if they're dead, the Gubbermint won't get revenue from the fine, ACC levies, PAYE, RWT (That's if they're working of course) or GST.

jasonu
29th November 2013, 13:34
:facepalm: You are joking of course !

Wat shu talking bout Willis???
Running a red light is fucking dangerous and just plain stupid. Anyone doing it and getting pinged for it deserves all they get. Doing 104kph on the motorway wouldn't hurt a fly (unless it hit your windscreen that is).

Big Dave
29th November 2013, 13:57
70km/h+ down Nelson.

I got pinged for 68.

29th November 2013, 14:38
I got pinged for 68.

On the back wheel?<_<

Stirts
29th November 2013, 14:40
I got pinged for 68.

So you should, that is just selfish. :shifty:

Robbo
29th November 2013, 15:12
Good on them, red light runners are bloody dangerous especially to bikers. Lets hope they follow this with mobile phone users while driving and tailgating.
I know we slag them on the 4km/h over issue but credit where credit is due.:second:

Big Dave
29th November 2013, 15:50
On the back wheel?<_<

Nah - on my Thunderbird.

Big Dave
29th November 2013, 15:51

No sweetie. That's first gear.

caspernz
30th November 2013, 12:56
But if they're dead, the Gubbermint won't get revenue from the fine, ACC levies, PAYE, RWT (That's if they're working of course) or GST.

Nope, I've got no sympathy for anyone who's into attempted manslaughter by motorised conveyance...they're likely to be from the shallow end of the gene pool anyway!

But predictable, the logic being he owes one...:cool:

Zedder
30th November 2013, 13:20
Nope, I've got no sympathy for anyone who's into attempted manslaughter by motorised conveyance...they're likely to be from the shallow end of the gene pool anyway!

I got the lack of sympathy bit and agree totally with it although I'm not sure on the killing off of red light runners though. There may be mitigating circumstances.

My post was more of a bitch about revenue gathering.

paturoa
30th November 2013, 13:25
I get the being visibile thing with a whole bunch of popos, cars et al (probably several of them on overtime too).

What they should be doing is hiring someone with a video camera to stand at a bunch of intersections and film them. That would change behaviours quickly, and generate some significant revenue too!

I note that the city council can hire people to film bus lanes. Surely the technique would work for red light runners too.

wharekura
30th November 2013, 20:48
...hiring someone with a video camera to stand at a bunch of intersections and film them...
Yep, that true - but with a copa they can do ya for expired rego / wof (I suppose the camera can do that to via license plate), licence check, booze check etc - i.e. more buckaroos. if they real lucky they could 'confiscate' banned substances and possibly ask for recompense for said offence.

red mermaid
1st December 2013, 16:07
Just for your info....Police do not get paid overtime.

You work the first 3 hours for free, and after that get hour for hour as time off in lieu, so 4 hours over time will get 1 hours time off in lieu.

I get the being visibile thing with a whole bunch of popos, cars et al (probably several of them on overtime too).

What they should be doing is hiring someone with a video camera to stand at a bunch of intersections and film them. That would change behaviours quickly, and generate some significant revenue too!

I note that the city council can hire people to film bus lanes. Surely the technique would work for red light runners too.

caspernz
1st December 2013, 19:49

You work the first 3 hours for free, and after that get hour for hour as time off in lieu, so 4 hours over time will get 1 hours time off in lieu.

Sounds just like the joys of working in NZDF, and it's called TOIL there too...and Joe Public doesn't appreciate it either way :facepalm:

scumdog
1st December 2013, 19:58

Spoil-sport.

You've shattered ANOTHER myth - much believed by slack-jawed mouthbreathing TV-watching drongos...

Zedder
1st December 2013, 21:13
Spoil-sport.

You've shattered ANOTHER myth - much believed by slack-jawed mouthbreathing TV-watching drongos...

Not in NZ. However, from the country that has a lot of wealthy nose breathing TV show producers:http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/011.htm

FROSTY
2nd December 2013, 16:57

Mon please do your research first before saying owt.
I bet you you will find that most of those officers are so green their badges are still shiney.
It will be one MAYbee two actual fullly trained officers and 18 just out of trentham and its part of their training. -still sworn officers just not yet front line officers yet

paturoa
3rd December 2013, 16:30

Spoil-sport.

That blows, still better than the nothing I get (salary). It is OK scummy, there is still plenty of ammo out there.

scumdog
4th December 2013, 16:15
Mon please do your research first before saying owt.
I bet you you will find that most of those officers are so green their badges are still shiney.
It will be one MAYbee two actual fullly trained officers and 18 just out of trentham and its part of their training. -still sworn officers just not yet front line officers yet

Uh, they ain't trained cops at Trentham for about 30 years or so...

unstuck
4th December 2013, 16:24

Yeah, most of the cop training is done at dunkin donuts these days.:yes:

FROSTY
5th December 2013, 07:24
ooops,Where did I get threntham from?? -wrong place-but the points still valid :devil2: