PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why

Jackrat
15th January 2004, 22:02
Went to go for a ride this Avo', Knew I was low on gas so headed to the local Shell.Just as I'm pulling in bike cuts out on right side.Now it don't normaly do that if I hit reserve but I didn't think much of it.Gas up and as I go to pull away she cuts out again.Hmmmm, thinks I,so I turn it off and notice gas flowing from right hand Carb'.Start her up again an give her a hand full,cuts out again.Bugger, limp home on one cylinder,Only two kms so should be ok.
Pull in the drive with bike farting an poping ect,ect.
The Mrs is out in the yard,walks over an says, Is some thing wrong. :crazy:
I,m not very happy an she can see this as I don't belive in hiding my feelings :angry2:
Then as I'm standing there watching gas pee all over the ground she asks,Has it got a gas leak or something :shit:
I push the bike into the shed(A woman free zone)an she sticks her head in the door an asks,Do you have to fix it :gob:
Now The Mrs an me have been togeather for 28 years all up but Iv'e never been able to work out why she asks things like this.
So tell me why,Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :crazy: :confused2
Ladies???????

BurnCycle
15th January 2004, 23:47
Sounds like the wife needs a 'sign'...

Ask Yourself: "Who Deserves a Sign this morning?"
Here's your sign

Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid." That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them anything. It would be like,
"Excuse me...oops, never mind. Didn't see your sign."

It's like before my roommate and I moved. Our house was full of boxes and there was a Ridgeways truck in our driveway. My neighbor comes over and says, "Hey, you moving?" Nope. We just pack our stuff up once or twice a week to see how many boxes it takes. Here's your sign."

A couple of months ago I went fishing with a mate of mine, we pulled his boat onto the ramp, I lifted up this big whiting and this idiot on the ramp goes, "Hey, you catch all them fish?" "Nope. Talked 'em into giving up. Here's your sign."

I was watching one of those animal shows on the Discovery Channel. There was a guy inventing a shark bite suit. And there's only one way To test it. "Alright Jimmy, you got that shark suit on, it looks good...They want you to jump into this pool of sharks, and you tell us if it hurts, when they bite you." "Well, all right, but hold my sign. I don't wanna lose it".

Last time I had a flat tire, I pulled my car into a gas station. The attendant walks out, looks at my car, looks at me, and I SWEAR he said, "Tire go flat?" I couldn't resist. I said, "Nope. I was driving around and those other three just swelled up on me. Here's your sign."

We were trying to sell our car about a year ago. A guy came over to the house and drove the car around for about 45 minutes. We get back to the house, he gets out of the car, reaches down and grabs the exhaust pipe, then says, "Shite, that's hot!" See? If he'd been wearing his sign, I could have stopped him.

I learned to drive an 18 wheeler in my days of adventure. Wouldn't you know I misjudged the height of a bridge. The truck got stuck and I couldn't get it out no matter how I tried. I radioed in for help and eventually a local cop shows up to take the report. He went through his basic questioning...ok.. no problem. I thought sure he was clear of needing a sign... until he asked "So..is your truck stuck?" I couldn't help myself! I looked at him, looked back at the rig and then back to him and said, "No, I'm delivering' a bridge... here's your sign."

I stayed late at work one night and a co-worker looked at me and said, "Are you still here?" I replied, "No. I left about 10 minutes go. Here's your sign."

Anybody you know need a sign today? The next time someone says something stupid ask them where their sign is.

LB
16th January 2004, 05:18
I'll have to think about this one and post something a bit later on. I have to go and do an oil change now. Now. NOW, understand??

Motu
16th January 2004, 07:34
I think my ''body English'' may be a bit clearer than your's Jack - it goes very quiet and the family huddle together near the fence line,no one speaks to me and sometimes they just leave the scene.

Hope you get the bike sorted - mine did the same thing a few years ago,after about 10km it would cut out on one cyl,I did everything except repaint the tank,was going nuts.It's the carbs,they are just shit.On Trademe are a couple of Mikunis that look like they would work well on an XS,also some Amal concentrics that would be good too.

Sharkey
16th January 2004, 07:42
I gotta say, Burn, that while your post is very entertaining and I laughed lots, I think it is a bit rough. People ask stupid questions because it is a good way to start a converstaion. Questions require a response (sure some of them require a silly response). Statements con't have that same imperitive for a reply. Humans are social animals and so it only makes sense that they want to interact, and verbal communication is one of the most significant forms of it. And Jack, I think this is why the Good Lady asks you these things. She wants to be part of your life and experience, and needs to do this through talking. It's like that Hallensteins ad with the women in the kitchen and the guys around the bbq. Love that ad. Women see conversation, especially conversation about emotional things (such as your happy disposition towards you bike) as an important mechanism for building The Relationship. Which is funny, because guys see it as annoying a distracting and it pisses them off more.

James Deuce
16th January 2004, 07:53
I gotta say, Burn, that while your post is very entertaining and I laughed lots, I think it is a bit rough. People ask stupid questions because it is a good way to start a converstaion. Questions require a response (sure some of them require a silly response). Statements con't have that same imperitive for a reply. Humans are social animals and so it only makes sense that they want to interact, and verbal communication is one of the most significant forms of it. And Jack, I think this is why the Good Lady asks you these things. She wants to be part of your life and experience, and needs to do this through talking. It's like that Hallensteins ad with the women in the kitchen and the guys around the bbq. Love that ad. Women see conversation, especially conversation about emotional things (such as your happy disposition towards you bike) as an important mechanism for building The Relationship. Which is funny, because guys see it as annoying a distracting and it pisses them off more.

Here's your sign ;)

marty
16th January 2004, 08:00
at least she didn't say 'is your bike broken?', to which your answer would no doubt have been 'no, i've run out of roundup, and dripping petrol out of me carbs while fuming and swearing, and still wearing my riding gear was the next easiest way to weed the patio. darling.'

Sharkey
16th January 2004, 08:11
Here's your sign ;)

Nice One. :lol:

750Y
16th January 2004, 08:14
I agree with Motu regarding the carbs but i'd be biased towards the Mikuni's as opposed to the amal's although they were a great carb in their day.
good read burn cycle.

KATWYN
16th January 2004, 09:13
Went to go for a ride this Avo', Knew I was low on gas so headed to the local Shell.Just as I'm pulling in bike cuts out on right side.Now it don't normaly do that if I hit reserve but I didn't think much of it.Gas up and as I go to pull away she cuts out again.Hmmmm, thinks I,so I turn it off and notice gas flowing from right hand Carb'.Start her up again an give her a hand full,cuts out again.Bugger, limp home on one cylinder,Only two kms so should be ok.
I,m not very happy an she can see this as I don't belive in hiding my feelings :angry2:
Then as I'm standing there watching gas pee all over the ground she asks,Has it got a gas leak or something :shit:
I push the bike into the shed(A woman free zone)an she sticks her head in the door an asks,Do you have to fix it :gob:
Now The Mrs an me have been togeather for 28 years all up but Iv'e never been able to work out why she asks things like this.
Ladies???????

My opinion:
I reakon fortunately you have a wife that bothers to ask....especially when
you are (obviously) not happy at the time. Some wives would probably want to run for cover and not show an interest at all in whats happening. She is probably trying to support you with the problem in her own way, by the looks of it.....only unfortunately the result causes more frustration for you! :doh: .....she might actually be interested in bikes....does she ride with you? maybe, just maybe, she might want to ride a bike herself??? hmmmm

Jackrat
16th January 2004, 09:46
Hmmmm,First I just got to say the Mrs ain't stupid,Allthough we probably both have a sign hidden away somewhere :o
Some good replys but :lol:
Just one of these things that keep life interesting aye!!
A bit like when she tells me how some bloke at work has been having a go at her,I offer to go round an smack em' up the head but she wants no bar of it.
It took a while but I worked it out she just wants to vent, nothing more.
She rides a horse,I ride a bike,We have been discussing for years which is the most dangerous.Don't think we will ever agree on that one,So far I'm winning but that could change huh!!
She can ride a bike and had one when we were on the land, but has no interest in road riding,which is just as well because I wouldn't let her.
Double standards or what?? :no: :)

matthewt
16th January 2004, 10:16
but has no interest in road riding,which is just as well because I wouldn't let her.

I have 3 boys (aged 3yo, 2yo & 3 months) and I worry about them wanting to ride. Complete double standards. Don't even ask me what I'd do if my daughter came home with some biker-scum boyfriend !! :brick:

Ms Piggy
16th January 2004, 10:24
Hmmmm,First I just got to say the Mrs ain't stupid,Allthough we probably both have a sign hidden away somewhere :o
Some good replys but :lol:
Just one of these things that keep life interesting aye!!
A bit like when she tells me how some bloke at work has been having a go at her,I offer to go round an smack em' up the head but she wants no bar of it.
It took a while but I worked it out she just wants to vent, nothing more.
She rides a horse,I ride a bike,We have been discussing for years which is the most dangerous.Don't think we will ever agree on that one,So far I'm winning but that could change huh!!
She can ride a bike and had one when we were on the land, but has no interest in road riding,which is just as well because I wouldn't let her.

Hey Jack,
All I can say is that she obviously cares about you (awwwww - how sweet!!) and even though she can't do anything wants you to know that she is concerned. :yes:

BurnCycle
17th January 2004, 00:01
Jack,

Just to clarify… I meant no disrespect. I’ve had that ‘sign’ thing for a while waiting for a chance to use it. I hope you saw the humor in it.

And yes, I keep a sign handy to give to someone so I don’t have to explain myself. I had a friend of mine hold my sign once while loading my bike onto a truck using a ramp that was way to narrow… Here’s my sign (http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/old_parts.jpg)

Jackrat
17th January 2004, 06:26
Jack,

Just to clarify… I meant no disrespect. I’ve had that ‘sign’ thing for a while waiting for a chance to use it. I hope you saw the humor in it.

And yes, I keep a sign handy to give to someone so I don’t have to explain myself. I had a friend of mine hold my sign once while loading my bike onto a truck using a ramp that was way to narrow… Here’s my sign (http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/old_parts.jpg)

LOL,No mate I reckon your post is rather apt.
When one has as many obvious Signs laying about as I do,Well a sence of humor is a must. :whistle: :yes:

Draco
17th January 2004, 08:41
Ladies???????

She's put up with you for 28 YEARS?! Mmmm where's that sign again?! :bleh:

Redstar
17th January 2004, 19:12
Coil breaking down? cant comment on the wife stuff shes watching!

MikeL
17th January 2004, 20:59
Very apt illustration of the fundamental difference between male and female concepts of communication. Sharkey and Katwyn are onto it. You poor bugger, Jackrat, married 28 years and still haven't got it sussed. :brick:

For future reference: the correct response to all such questions:

"Yes, dear, there's something definitely wrong here, as you have so perceptively observed. As you can see, there's a serious malfunction of the asynchronous by-pass cut-off valve, which is potentially very dangerous. I think I can fix it, but it's quite complicated and it will probably take me the rest of the morning. Then I'll have to take it for a long ride to test it - so that's the rest of the day out, I'm afraid. But when there's a safety issue it's better to be safe than sorry."

:p

KATWYN
17th January 2004, 21:27
Very apt illustration of the fundamental difference between male and female concepts of communication. Sharkey and Katwyn are onto it. You poor bugger, Jackrat, married 28 years and still haven't got it sussed. :brick:

For future reference: the correct response to all such questions:

"Yes, dear, there's something definitely wrong here, as you have so perceptively observed. As you can see, there's a serious malfunction of the asynchronous by-pass cut-off valve, which is potentially very dangerous. I think I can fix it, but it's quite complicated and it will probably take me the rest of the morning. Then I'll have to take it for a long ride to test it - so that's the rest of the day out, I'm afraid. But when there's a safety issue it's better to be safe than sorry."

:p

If it can be said with minimal patronizing that is a great answer. and in the points department with the spouse Jackrat, you will be in credit 100 points at least. ...and in the wifey department that is a really good position to be in :done:

Jackrat
17th January 2004, 22:30
Coil breaking down? cant comment on the wife stuff shes watching!
The spring holding the main valve seat on the float had parted slightly,preventing the valve from closing fully=Flooding.
When I took the bowl off it looked like the beginings of a Mangrove swamp in there so she was way over due for a clean anyway.After cleaning I had to retune an balance the Carb's as every thing had changed big time.Now she is running sweet as again.Just in case anyone thought I was for real about the Mrs,That was pretty much TIC.
Come on would I lie to you :msn-wink: :D

LB
19th January 2004, 06:14
I have 3 boys (aged 3yo, 2yo & 3 months) and I worry about them wanting to ride. Complete double standards. Don't even ask me what I'd do if my daughter came home with some biker-scum boyfriend !! :brick:
What about if your daughter wanted to RIDE??!!!!

matthewt
19th January 2004, 07:51
What about if your daughter wanted to RIDE??!!!!

If she wanted to ride I'd be as worried as I would for one of the boys. I'd prefer the kids were riders rather than pillions.

PS: She's been to the Ducati factory (I had to carry her the whole way on my shoulders because they don't allow kids under 12 for safety reasons).

riffer
19th January 2004, 12:23
Interesting you guys are so concerned about your kids riding.

My oldest boy Tim (4 last November) is obsessed about motorcycles, and has been pestering me for one for the last year. He's just losing his training wheels on his pushbike and has been playing around doing skids and jumps, and we have been making excuses to go into Maidstone Yamaha to look at the PW50 they have in there.

My wife and I have been thinking of getting him a 2nd hand PW50, or XR50 for his 5th in November, provided that he gets fully competent with the pushbike, goes through the night without nappies or accidents, etc, etc...

Is this too young? Are we sending him down the wrong path? Riding bikes is in the family on both sides, and his maternal grandparents have a 38 hectare farm out Akatarawa Valley so there's lots of places for him to learn safely...

marty
19th January 2004, 13:18
why not go for it celtic? can't be any more dangerous than BMX, and mine have been doing that since they were 4, we only spent an month in starship last year (and yes we are still racing)

Motu
19th January 2004, 13:25
All kids are different,just let them do what they want,but never push.

When young my 2 girls were very involved in what I was doing,coming to races,manning pitstops,on pratice days at the dirt track my wife and I would take them around as pillions,I also took them on a quad on the track.Later they had a PeeWee 50,then bigger bikes,but we didn't get out much.When they asked me if they could get road licenses I just ignored them.

My 2 younger boys don't seem to be interested,I've taken them to speedway (Rosebank,cause it's bikes) and they have seen me at trials,they can use the PW50 anytime they want,but it hasn't raised much interest.It would be nice if they shared my passion for motorsports,but so what,these are my kids - it's more important that I am interested in what they are doing than if they follow in my dubious footsteps.

Big Dog
19th January 2004, 16:12
My favourite signs has to be,
Nudge nudge "are you awake yet?"
Ring Ring "are you still at work?"/"are you still at {put location she just rang you from here}?"
Or all time number one: long discussion about how I'm not hungry but she is, I ask "so what do you want for dinner? I'll cook it but I'm not having any." She says whatever you want hon". :crazy:

Firefight
19th January 2004, 16:21
Interesting you guys are so concerned about your kids riding.

My oldest boy Tim (4 last November)

Is this too young? Are we sending him down the wrong path? Riding bikes is in the family on both sides, and his maternal grandparents have a 38 hectare farm out Akatarawa Valley so there's lots of places for him to learn safely...

No way, firstly you sound like great parents, and have given it lots of thought, we have many kids 3 and 4 starting to ride out at the woodhill forest bike park, they come from simular backgrounds, normally on a 50, we have an area for them, its great to see them come out with thier mum & dad, my own daughters ride, I wish I had introduced them to the joy of it when they were very young. as parents you are the best judge of whats right, but I would say go for it.

Firefight.

Mystic13
27th December 2008, 17:58
Re the kids riding. I've ridden longer than driven. My wife has pillioned since the beginning and has subsequently been learning to ride. The house breathes bikes. We tend to let the kids do what they want.

Number 1, 16 female, thinks they're dangerous and would never go on one.

Number 2 15 female, won't go on one because other relatives think it's dangerous.

Number 3 14, female, Will pillion from time to time, loves it but has no interest in riding.

Number 4 10, male, rides, loves it and has said he will get his bike licence first.

Now Number 3, seeing number 4 enjoying riding has expressed a desire to try it out, has since tried it and is now riding.

Now Number 2 child for the first time expressed an interest in being a pillion and the day we suited up the bike wouldn't start and she hasn't asked since. I think she will though because she's starting to move away from living her life based on other peoples expectations (and about *#%^@ time - I thought that would never happen). You just need to sow seeds with this one and with time things happen.... slowly.

Number 1 still thinks they're dangeours and won't go near 'em. I expect this to be life long.

On another forum there was apost from a 47 year old dad. He hates bikes, they're dangerous and he's warned his kids off constantly. Then 2nd oldest goes against his wishes and buys a bike in his late teens. Dad is pissed big time. Then oldest gets a bike. And dad is even more pissed. Now he has two bikers that he has to cosntantly tell of the dangers.

Then Dad finally gives it a go. He thinks "shit, I've wasted most of my life missing this. They're great fun". The dad had just bought an 800cc bike after getting off his learners and is planning bigger and bigger rides. Just goes to show, where would you be without kids that don't listen.