PDA

View Full Version : CBR 250 RR Performance Exhausts

Joe Blogs
26th August 2005, 20:26
Can you buy Performance Exhausts for CBR 250 RR's or dont they make them, if they dont what can you put on that fits?

HDTboy
26th August 2005, 21:19
Take one sharp long screwdriver, place it between the inner and outer pipes at the rear of the muffler, and proceed to remove the baffling, you could go all out and take the muffler off and remove the internal baffles like I did too, it sounds awesome, but it's a bit loud. You won't get any extra power out of one of these motors easily as they're already so highly tuned from the factory

R6_kid
26th August 2005, 21:38
they are around... the company i think is called BEET but i may be wrong... my pipe has a sticker on it saying MASSERT i think. will check 2mro, best to check at wreckers as they arent bought in to the country seperate from bikes.

awesker has an awesome condition polished stainless pipe on his CBR250RR, came of a ZXR250C ex japan... looks and sounds the shit.

good luck searching :Punk:

R6_kid
26th August 2005, 21:41
you could go all out and take the muffler off and remove the internal baffles like I did too, it sounds awesome, but it's a bit loud. You won't get any extra power out of one of these motors easily as they're already so highly tuned from the factory

as far as i know removing the baffles removes back pressure, this can lead to valve damage over time and also as tristan has found it takes a lot of the engines bottom end out... meaning you have to get the revs right up to get the power.

Ricky at mt eden couldnt tune tristans bike properly because he removed the baffles...

TwoSeven
26th August 2005, 21:42
Do not under any circumstances remove the baffling. Thats done by people who dont know what they are doing. It completely buggers the performance of the bike.

Yes, there are plenty of mufflers for cibby 250s. Post your question in jdm forums and people will give you a list.

HDTboy
26th August 2005, 21:43
Back perssure is bad.
My bike runs sweet with what I've done

Suney
26th August 2005, 21:44
http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/default.asp

Try there.
Roo racing, yoshimura make pipes for the cbr

HDTboy
26th August 2005, 21:44
Do not under any circumstances remove the baffling. Thats done by people who dont know what they are doing.
Or people doing it on the cheap

awesker
27th August 2005, 00:06
I got a BEET Racing zaust, dont really feel much though after I installed it it did feel a bit lighter going through the mid-range. Just sounds a hellll of a lot better!

N4CR
27th August 2005, 18:27
If you de-rivet them and gut it you loose a couple of KG's... heavy friggen zorsts.

He (Ricky) could tune it, just under 7k it won't respond well.. like turbo lag. When it does kick in it revs much quicker than it used to, and sounds great in the process.

If you have to pay alot of money and get a normal aluminium zorst you are wasting your time. (get a carbon one like mr g-dog ;) ).

Coyote
27th August 2005, 18:48
http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/default.asp

Try there.
Roo racing, yoshimura make pipes for the cbr
I can't seem to find a Yoshi pipe anywhere. Any places you should look out for one?

John
27th August 2005, 18:53
short perferated tube, it works both ways!

Although doesnt look as nice, it sounds fecken nice, and gives you a nice wee power boost, oh and when it backfires, it kills small animals and the elderly - takanini wreckers have them 110$ then alot of work to fit them (custom attachment flange) and new mounting bolt holder, but shit was it worth it.. the extra metal work only cost 90$ - If only I had a weilder.

Coyote
27th August 2005, 18:59
short perferated tube, it works both ways!

Although doesnt look as nice, it sounds fecken nice, and gives you a nice wee power boost, oh and when it backfires, it kills small animals and the elderly - takanini wreckers have them 110$ then alot of work to fit them (custom attachment flange) and new mounting bolt holder, but shit was it worth it.. the extra metal work only cost 90$ - If only I had a weilder.
Got any pics? I'm very interested in this

Where's Takanini?

John
27th August 2005, 19:01
www.motorcyclewrecker.com - henry, good bloke!

I will get you some pictures after I finish this food.

NordieBoy
27th August 2005, 20:03
Back perssure is bad.
My bike runs sweet with what I've done

If you want torque or a decent bottem end then back pressure is good.

Reducing the back pressure moves the meat of the powerband up the rev range.

Coyote
27th August 2005, 20:24
I got a BEET Racing zaust, dont really feel much though after I installed it it did feel a bit lighter going through the mid-range. Just sounds a hellll of a lot better!
Where did you get it from?

Found this: http://www.beet.co.jp/honda/hornet250.html
The CBR page didn't have much, but hasn't the Hornet got the same motor?

TwoSeven
27th August 2005, 20:44
You dont need to change much on the cibby to get the max performance out of it.

The standard honda headers are spot-on design wise (as they are on all the cibby models) - if you actually measured up a yoshi unit, you'd find its exactly the same dimensions, but made of a lighter material. What you need to do is remove the flat spot at 5k and extend the top end slightly as the standard bike is tuned for 180km/hr.

To do this, you need to change the Megaphone to a smaller one. For those that dont know what that bit is, its the tapored bit that goes into the end-can, On a cibby its about 50mm long, you need to make it about 20mm but with the same start and end diameters (have a look at a roo can, its got a perfect megaphone on it - but the end can really needs a baffle) - Have a look at the new gsxr1000 for a radical megaphone design- its all megaphone and no zorst (but they use a power valve to vary the zorst length).

A much more cheaper mod to make for the bike is to move to a 520 pitch chain and sprocket (its a big for the poor chap to do, so keep the details of the sprockets when we finally works them out and sources them for you). It will and about 2 ft-lbs of torque to the bike.

Coyote
27th August 2005, 20:53
To do this, you need to change the Megaphone to a smaller one. For those that dont know what that bit is, its the tapored bit that goes into the end-can, On a cibby its about 50mm long, you need to make it about 20mm but with the same start and end diameters (have a look at a roo can, its got a perfect megaphone on it - but the end can really needs a baffle) - Have a look at the new gsxr1000 for a radical megaphone design- its all megaphone and no zorst (but they use a power valve to vary the zorst length).

Had a look at the pipe, not sure where this megaphone is, and I couldn't find a pic of a roo pipe

TwoSeven
27th August 2005, 21:05
On the pipe there are three allen bolts holding the end can on. From memory the megaphone is there (its what the bolts are screwed into). However, its very small on the two nifty, so it may not look like one at all.

Here is a pic of my old roo can before I sold it (was too noisy to use). On the right side, you'll see an alan bolt sticking out of a little dome. That dome is the megaphone (very small). Go compare that to the big triangle thing on the gsr 1k.

HDTboy
27th August 2005, 21:49
If you want torque or a decent bottem end then back pressure is good.

Reducing the back pressure moves the meat of the powerband up the rev range.
I still maintain that back pressure is bad. If you want torque or a decent bottom end, remove all back pressure and run milder cams.

Reducing back pressure helps exhaust scavenging by not having as much positive pressure at the exhaust valve

Ixion
27th August 2005, 22:21
Hurrah for the BSA M20. No back pressure and very mild cams.Let's all switch to side valves. I like side valves actually, very underrated. I reckon a turbocharged sidevalve would open a few eyes.

In reality you need back pressure . Cam timing and lift (and valve curtain area) has to be determined by the gas flow at peak revs. Milder cams means no top end. But unless it's a racer you need to plug that gaping exhaust hole a bit at lower revs. Or all your nicely sucked in mixture is going to whistle straight out again. Thats where back pressure comes in. A good zorst will give more back pressure at low revs than at peak. Sort of a poor mans VTEC. Open pipes always SOUND louder, people think they are getting more power, but it's just an illusion

TwoSeven
27th August 2005, 22:42
The M20 actually does use back pressure. The expansion chamber is half way down the pipe actually uses back flow - thats pretty much how 2-stroke expansion chambers work as well. Just they've made it more precise in modern bikes.

i happen to like the m20 :)