PDA

View Full Version : Early Suzuki GS SOS (1983 125cc)

garagecowboy
9th December 2013, 13:07
Alright, so recently I picked up this very neglected old GS125 as a fun little restoration project, mainly to learn new skills than anything. Cost me $70!

the engine had over a litre of water inside it when I picked it up, due to it having been consigned to long term storage, in someones driveway. So I flushed it out with a hefty dose of brakekleen down every hole, then plugged up the drain and sprayed a heap of Inox down all the holes I could get to.

Left it for a week like that then gave it a series of 1L kerosene soak and flush cycles over another two weeks. Stripped, soaked, scrubbed and reassembled the Carb, checked over the loom, put a new plug in and would you believe it, the old thing runs! Clatter and rattles like you'd expect from something so neglected, but I always planned to tear down the engine from the beginning. (The rocker arms have a W shaped indent on them from running over the cam lobes! must've oil starved on a long ride or something.)

It starts on the first or second kick, which is quite amazing considering the lack of choke flap, and that the head is slightly loose and visibly leaking O.O

Anyway, now that I've gotten it to run and have a 'before' feel for it, here's the run down of the restoration plans:

-Rebuild motor, using as many original or second hand parts as possible, and making the visible ones shiny again. (With a bit of hot-rodding in the process using bits from other bikes)

-Sandblast and powdercoat frame (I can do both from home, so not overly expensive)

-Polish rims, blast and coat spokes, same goes for brake drums (front and rear drum model)

-recondition as many parts as possible, and delete anything I deem 'unneccessary'

-have all the bolts with big shiny heads on them re-plated in either gold or chrome

-other bits and pieces I've forgotten right now.

The plan is to have a reliable and tidy commuter/ weekend adventure warrior that is fun to ride and gets plenty of appreciative attention from other bike lovers.

A little background on my past bike experience:
Raced mini-motox from 6y.o on PW50 and later DS80 (no podiums, ever)

Late 80's XR250 (four valve) in mid teens, sold six years ago
Mechanic for friends Yamaha 1989 FZR(?)250 Ex-UP (test ridden twice, incredible machine but too fast for my liking)
Test rode Kwaka ZXR250 (absolutely rubbish, uncivilzed engine that snatches when cruising, could have been the particular bike, but I will always recommend the Yamaha)

In short, I liked the lower powered XR trail bike over the 'ADHD' sport bikes.

garagecowboy
9th December 2013, 13:17
Here's a small album of the bike. Yes I'm aware the chassis code pic is too blurry to make out.
Code reads: (I'll check it out soon)

http://imgur.com/a/P3jXi