PDA

View Full Version : Camera sunglasses?

awa355
14th December 2013, 06:53
Has anyone ever heard of these being used? The frame would be too bulky to slip inside a helmet, I think,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/video-cameras/action-cameras/auction-672793166.htm

pratik8890
15th December 2013, 12:11
Has anyone ever heard of these being used? The frame would be too bulky to slip inside a helmet, I think,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/video-cameras/action-cameras/auction-672793166.htm

Hey mate, its not even a Known brand so if I were you, I'd go buy a go pro instead. They're just mean for action photo and videography.

awa355
15th December 2013, 12:50
Hey mate, its not even a Known brand so if I were you, I'd go buy a go pro instead. They're just mean for action photo and videography.

I had never intended to buy a pair, was just curious about them.

Funny you mentioned the Go pro. I bought a brand new one home yesterday. It was meant to be a chrissy present and not touched untill Xmas day, but the wife got sick of me dropping my bottom lip on the floor so today is playtime. :banana::banana:

pratik8890
17th December 2013, 06:07
I had never intended to buy a pair, was just curious about them.

Funny you mentioned the Go pro. I bought a brand new one home yesterday. It was meant to be a chrissy present and not touched untill Xmas day, but the wife got sick of me dropping my bottom lip on the floor so today is playtime. :banana::banana:

Good on ya, Please let us know what version did you buy? Thank you

Motorcycle Recovery
17th December 2013, 11:38

I bought a pair similar to these with the intention of recording my loading and unloading of certain bikes. I found them to great but kept in mind I only paid $30 for them of TM. As you said the size of the frame meant that I could only use them with my helmet off unless I used a helmet with provisions for a headset and even then they would poke and prod at the helmet when I was riding so I only used them once on the bike. The picture and sound quality is pretty good for what it is (but it's obviously not HDMI) after all as I said they were a $30 impulse buy from TM. But overall I have used them a lot for other things such as kids sports events and performances, recording the loading and unloading of bikes and generally just mucking about.
They take a little to get used to because of the location of the camera lens, on mine it's at the top of the bridge of the glasses, basically you have to physically look where you want to film not just move your eyes. This can be a pain to begin with but once you are conscious of it, it will become second nature. All in all I'm happy with mine, but I'm also easily pleased ;). The ones you posted the link for seem to be a better quality than mine and the arms also look a lot smaller, the remote for starting and stopping is also a handy feature that I wish I had. You can't really beat a Go Pro for recording your rides but these are a compromise and certainly better than nothing (if you can figure out how to fit them into your helmet).

Hope this helps
Kevin L.

SMOKEU
17th December 2013, 14:29
The TM ad is contradictory.

"Resolution 1280 x 720 video"

"Video Resolution:1280*960"

awa355
17th December 2013, 16:11
Good on ya, Please let us know what version did you buy? Thank you

I have the white Gopro hero3 camera. doesn't have the whistles and bells that the silver and black models have but it does what

I want. Did a ride this morning and set the first 1/2 hr recording on WVGA 60fps just to compare the colour and sharpness with HD. I was quite surprised at how good the SD format played back. Uploaded a clip in this format to You tube and was bloody disappointed with the published result. I have just uploaded another clip from the same ride but in 720p HD. I have not used the 1080 setting but the lower resolutions give me a good enough video.

One thing that I'm happy with is the lack of wind noise. Have set the noise setting to 70% and it records the exhaust note over the wind. Infact the engine is far louder on the clips than the actual riding noise.

I have a 32gb class 10 card in it but would go through umpteen batteries before I'd ever fill the card. Apparently, the hero 3 cameras are harder on battery life than the 2 series. But untill I get back on a decent road bike, I wont need any more than the one battery.

awa355
17th December 2013, 16:15
I bought a pair similar to these with the intention of recording my loading and unloading of certain bikes. I found them to great but kept in mind I only paid $30 for them of TM. As you said the size of the frame meant that I could only use them with my helmet off unless I used a helmet with provisions for a headset and even then they would poke and prod at the helmet when I was riding so I only used them once on the bike. The picture and sound quality is pretty good for what it is (but it's obviously not HDMI) after all as I said they were a $30 impulse buy from TM. But overall I have used them a lot for other things such as kids sports events and performances, recording the loading and unloading of bikes and generally just mucking about.
They take a little to get used to because of the location of the camera lens, on mine it's at the top of the bridge of the glasses, basically you have to physically look where you want to film not just move your eyes. This can be a pain to begin with but once you are conscious of it, it will become second nature. All in all I'm happy with mine, but I'm also easily pleased ;). The ones you posted the link for seem to be a better quality than mine and the arms also look a lot smaller, the remote for starting and stopping is also a handy feature that I wish I had. You can't really beat a Go Pro for recording your rides but these are a compromise and certainly better than nothing (if you can figure out how to fit them into your helmet).

Hope this helps
Kevin L.

I had even used a $15 MD 80 HD camera on my scooter as a curiosity. It produced good colours and clarity but not being an action camera it had a few waves. Like you say, you get what you pay for.

pratik8890
18th December 2013, 08:09
I have the white Gopro hero3 camera. doesn't have the whistles and bells that the silver and black models have but it does what

I want. Did a ride this morning and set the first 1/2 hr recording on WVGA 60fps just to compare the colour and sharpness with HD. I was quite surprised at how good the SD format played back. Uploaded a clip in this format to You tube and was bloody disappointed with the published result. I have just uploaded another clip from the same ride but in 720p HD. I have not used the 1080 setting but the lower resolutions give me a good enough video.

One thing that I'm happy with is the lack of wind noise. Have set the noise setting to 70% and it records the exhaust note over the wind. Infact the engine is far louder on the clips than the actual riding noise.

I have a 32gb class 10 card in it but would go through umpteen batteries before I'd ever fill the card. Apparently, the hero 3 cameras are harder on battery life than the 2 series. But untill I get back on a decent road bike, I wont need any more than the one battery.

Thats sounds like a good plan bro, so when are you buying a decent bike? Please pm me the youtube link with 720p quality so that I could have a look at it. And Where did you buy your Go pro hero 3 white version from? Thank you

awa355
18th December 2013, 17:25
Thats sounds like a good plan bro, so when are you buying a decent bike? Please pm me the youtube link with 720p quality so that I could have a look at it. And Where did you buy your Go pro hero 3 white version from? Thank you

Forlongs in Frankton. And when I peeled the price tag off, there was another underneath, $20 cheaper than the price my wife bought it for. I did upload a 720p clip on you tube but the finished result was very poor, so deleted it.

Have uploaded another clip. This turned out reasonable, have posted it under my scooter thread. Wont appeal to the speed freaks.

pratik8890
27th December 2013, 13:33
Forlongs in Frankton. And when I peeled the price tag off, there was another underneath, $20 cheaper than the price my wife bought it for. I did upload a 720p clip on you tube but the finished result was very poor, so deleted it.

Have uploaded another clip. This turned out reasonable, have posted it under my scooter thread. Wont appeal to the speed freaks.

Hey mate, just watched the video. That came out alright, have you played with any other video settings beside 720p at 30fps?

awa355
27th December 2013, 15:43
Hey mate, just watched the video. That came out alright, have you played with any other video settings beside 720p at 30fps?

960 &30fps is good as is 1080 @ 30fps. It also has a 720p @ 60fps. I had set it to the lowest HD to try for the longest recording time. I will try the 720/60 next time just to compare.

pratik8890
31st December 2013, 08:42
960 &30fps is good as is 1080 @ 30fps. It also has a 720p @ 60fps. I had set it to the lowest HD to try for the longest recording time. I will try the 720/60 next time just to compare.

sHOT bro, keep me in the loop. Chur