PDA

View Full Version : Mineral based oil

xyeovillian
27th August 2005, 08:33
I have been advised to run my Yamaha TTR 125 engine on mineral based oil, so which one any suggestions?

Pancakes
27th August 2005, 11:00
Are you running it in? I've heard that you shouldn't use synthetic when running in cos it doesn't allow enough wear to let things bed in together.

Cary
27th August 2005, 19:21
Are you running it in? I've heard that you shouldn't use synthetic when running in cos it doesn't allow enough wear to let things bed in together.

You heard right :clap:

TTR not a stressed engine, any good brand will do, Motul, Castrol, Spectro, Belray to name a few. Don't use full synthetic in your TTR, doesn't need it.

Flyingpony
29th August 2005, 12:26
You heard right :clap:

TTR not a stressed engine, any good brand will do, Motul, Castrol, Spectro, Belray to name a few. Don't use full synthetic in your TTR, doesn't need it.
Is that because the properties of Fully Synthetic oil is an over kill for the engine or because it causes damage?

Thanks,
Horse.

Oscar
29th August 2005, 13:44
Is that because the properties of Fully Synthetic oil is an over kill for the engine or because it causes damage?

Thanks,
Horse.

Because synthetic won't allow your engine to run in.
When we talk about running an engine in, we're allowing the surfaces within the engine to wear against each other and bed in - for example the piston rings seal against the cylinder wall. If you run sysnthetics during run in, not enough friction (metal to metal contact) is avaialble for wear to occur...

Cary
29th August 2005, 19:24

Thanks,
Horse.

What Oscar says is true and yes it is overkill for TTR. (and HELL expensive)

A good semi will do fine.

Motu
29th August 2005, 19:46
Once it's run in I wouldn't run a dirt bike on anything but synthetic,specially if he's a young fella - that bikes not going to stop all day,the most extreme use a bike can be put to is in the hands of a teenager.I remember going up to a young fella's bike and saying ''How's she running?''...I slapped my hand on the alt cover and it was like putting my palm on a hot iron....fsssst,and no prints on my whole hand.They give em death big time,and that's when you need synth.