PDA

View Full Version : Lane splitting letter to DomPost 27 Dec 2013

pzkpfw
27th December 2013, 09:22
Anyone see this, this morning?

Dangerous riders breaking the law

I'm concerned at motorcyclists who ride incorrectly through Ngauranga Gorge. I travel this route daily and am disappointed by some of these riders who ride between two lanes of traffic with no consideration for other vehicles.

According to the Land Transport Act, motorcyclists aren't allowed to ride through traffic. It says: "If the traffic has not stopped, then motorcycles using hazard lights while moving through slower traffic are advertising their actions and constitute a hazard and are in contravention of Sections 7 & 8 of the LTA."

Is it any wonder that the fees charged to bike riders' insurance et cetera are expensive.

I would like to advise other vehicle users on all motorways to look at how this behaviour is dangerous.
GK, Tawa

Apart from all the other bollocks, I'm interested in the claim it's specifically "illegal".

His own quote mentions hazards lights on, but I thought the accepted wisdom is that lane splitting essentially meant overtaking on the right of a vehicle, within its lane - so staying to the left of the lane divider and having the right indicator on was "correct" (and technically "legal").

Comments? Will now search for the legislation he's quoted ...

pzkpfw
27th December 2013, 09:27
OK, Sections 7 & 8 of the LTA are just about being reckless etc. Not yet found the splitting with hazards on bit.

(I have previously seen advice in an on-line road code not to split, but that's not the same as legislation.)

caspernz
27th December 2013, 09:54
Meh, none of this legal or illegal stuff means anything until you get bowled...

I must admit though, some mornings the hardcore riders who insist on still sliding thru between cars and trucks coming down the Ngauranga in the rush hour traffic...when the margin for error is tiny...yup I can see how a cager can get annoyed at that :eek5:

roogazza
27th December 2013, 10:10
He got beaten to work huh ! you get that. :bleh::bleh::bleh:

MSTRS
27th December 2013, 10:15
Lane splitting is neither legal nor illegal. It is a grey area. There are 'guidelines' - shall we say - for doing it safely, or at least as safe as possible, but a zealous cop can and will ticket as an illegal overtaking manoeuvre. It is then up to the rider to prove the ticket is false...

Big Dave
27th December 2013, 10:32
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cMq3VLQc1MU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SMOKEU
27th December 2013, 10:41
Where are these "hazard lights" that the writer speaks of?

BMWST?
27th December 2013, 12:09
perhaps its the use of hazards in this situation that is illegall

swbarnett
28th December 2013, 00:08
Where are these "hazard lights" that the writer speaks of?
On US imports. Mine's got them.

Madness
28th December 2013, 00:54
On US imports. Mine's got them.

And on mine, a NZ-new Canadian spec bike. Loads of bikes have 'em.

dangerous
28th December 2013, 09:50
KB cranked up in what 02ish 11 odd years and every month a thread on bloody lane spliting, reckon it out does oil threads and do ya scrunch or fold ya dunny paper threads...

IIRC you can only split on the right of a car AND wihten the lane (no crossing the center or deviding line) WITH ya right hand indercator on.
but IMO any twat that needs or wants to split cant complain when it turns bad its a unnessary and stupid thing to do (south Is) more so aceptable in stalled traffic in the north IS) either way cagers dislike it so expect the flak and dont bitch when ya end up on ya arse and bikeless. and before ya pro spliters hook into me, yes I have and do very rearley split, then again I speed aswell, do the crime get cought do the time.

Berries
28th December 2013, 12:28
Anyone got a translater?

BMWST?
28th December 2013, 12:31
Anyone got a translater?

dont whinge and suck it up if ya get pinged

dangerous
28th December 2013, 13:12
dont whinge and suck it up if ya get pinged
yeah and only a fark wit would split lol

rastuscat
28th December 2013, 13:21
Look at Rule 2.6 to 2.11 of the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004..

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM302188.html?search=ts_act%40bill%40regulation%4 0deemedreg_road+user+rule_resel_25_a&p=1

It's not in the Land Transport Act, unless you're talking Careless Driving, at Section 37.

The biggest problem is Rule 2.6. It introduces a subjective judgement as to what is safe.

Nothing has changed. It's all about interpretation.

swbarnett
28th December 2013, 14:28
but IMO any [motorcyclist] that needs or wants to split cant complain when it turns bad
Totally agree with this bit with minor correction. Splitting is a privelege that, if not treated with an appropriate level of respect and personal responsibility, can turn nasty very quickly. Done properly, however, you're safer between the lanes than taking the risk of being caught up in a concertina brought about by stop-start traffic.

its a unnessary and stupid thing to do (south Is) more so aceptable in stalled traffic in the north IS
Commute on the Auckland motorway long enough and it becomes "necessary" in as much as lots of time is saved and you won't get rear-ended.

either way cagers dislike it
The feeling I get is that those that complain about it know nothing of which they speak. They've probably never done it and most probably never ridden a motorcycle at all. A lot are just jealous of how quick we can get through traffic.

swbarnett
28th December 2013, 14:31
yeah and only a fark wit would split lol
Be careful who you call a "fark wit". A lot of car drivers have been heard to say words to the affect of "only a fark wit would ride a motorcycle".

dangerous
28th December 2013, 14:52
Be careful who you call a "fark wit". A lot of car drivers have been heard to say words to the affect of "only a fark wit would ride a motorcycle".

im bloody fishing here man, 4 days straight rain, aint ridden for weeks lol, just filling in time, granted bout ya rear ending, tiz why I avoid siting directly behind cages

Swoop
28th December 2013, 15:28
That's what keeps the lawyers in business!

swbarnett
28th December 2013, 15:51
im bloody fishing here man, 4 days straight rain, aint ridden for weeks lol, just filling in time,
Ouch!

granted bout ya rear ending, tiz why I avoid siting directly behind cages
I was talking about cars rear-ending the motorcycle.

dangerous
28th December 2013, 16:05
Ouch!

I was talking about cars rear-ending the motorcycle.I know, as in it means I have a way out by sitting to the side and... if a cage brakes late behind me hopfully they will turn away from me... but I find it easier not to ride in town slash traffic

swbarnett
28th December 2013, 16:09
I know, as in it means I have a way out by sitting to the side and... if a cage brakes late behind me hopfully they will turn away from me... but I find it easier not to ride in town slash traffic
Yeah, of course. I see what you mean now.

pzkpfw
28th December 2013, 20:39
Look at Rule 2.6 to 2.11 of the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004..

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM302188.html?search=ts_act%40bill%40regulation%4 0deemedreg_road+user+rule_resel_25_a&p=1

It's not in the Land Transport Act, unless you're talking Careless Driving, at Section 37.

The biggest problem is Rule 2.6. It introduces a subjective judgement as to what is safe.

Thank you.

Geez, the law! (Not the fault of those whose job it is to uphold it).

Didn't really see anything there to specifically support the usual "legality of lane splitting" opinion - { pass on the right, in same lane }. (Nor the opinion of the guy who wrote the letter I quoted in post #1).

Perversely, the usual opinion is that passing on the left is "bad", but this next bit seems to support it in the way passing on the right is assumed to be supported:

2.8 Passing on left

(1) A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction except in accordance with this clause.
(3) If the roadway is marked in lanes, the driver may make the movement referred in subclause (1) only if the driver's vehicle does not encroach on a lane that is unavailable to a driver.

Sigh.

I do like this:

2.9 Passing where roadway marked with no-passing line
(2) The driver must not pass or attempt to pass a motor vehicle or an animal-drawn vehicle moving in the same direction within the length of roadway on which the no-passing line is marked until the driver reaches the further end of the no-passing line, unless throughout the passing movement the driver keeps the vehicle wholly to the left of the no-passing line.

... that'll work in a few places.

Daffyd
28th December 2013, 22:12
Bloody hell! Lane splitting? Youse fellas should come to the Philippines for a few lessons!

I live a few hundred metres from the main drag here in Batangas City. It's a two lane road, (one each way), and traffic is frequently either stopped or moving at less than 10kmh. Unless you're on a bike! You lane split... on the right, on the left... anywhere there's a gap. I have been riding one way on a quiet day, when an oncoming bike, jeepney, tricycle will pull out on to my side of the road to pass a few vehicles. If I don't make room I'm dead!

Boy-oh-boy, it's an education!

ruaphu
28th December 2013, 22:23
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cMq3VLQc1MU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hehehe, nice one Big D, crikey that bought back a few memories.

I had to give up the beautiful sport of lane spliting on my cruiser with it's horrendously wide panniers, kept collecting mirrors of all shapes and sizes :facepalm:
they tend to make a mess of one's panniers :innocent:

Moi
29th December 2013, 09:02
Here you go...

Yeah, I know, it's a re-post... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJy10pBhJCw

Hehe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPaSibKgkSo

GingerMidget
29th December 2013, 13:53
I very rarely see people doing silly things while lane splitting out that way. ost seem to be doing sensible speeds and not cutting up other cars.

There was this one silly cow who was done for unsafe overtaking, but I'm pretty sure she learned her lesson.
By silly cow, I mean me. Paid up the ticket and moved on.

Someone else mentioned it being a privelege, and I agree.

dangerous
29th December 2013, 16:59
Thank you.

Geez, the law! (Not the fault of those whose job it is to uphold it).

Didn't really see anything there to specifically support the usual "legality of lane splitting" opinion - { pass on the right, in same lane }. (Nor the opinion of the guy who wrote the letter I quoted in post #1).

Perversely, the usual opinion is that passing on the left is "bad", but this next bit seems to support it in the way passing on the right is assumed to be supported:

Sigh.

I do like this:

... that'll work in a few places.
yeah and do ya know you can park on yellow broken lines aslong as you are on the inside of the line, no chance for a cage but bikes can.

vifferman
29th December 2013, 17:18
I must be OK then; I don't ever ride up/down/along the Ngauranga Gorge road, and when I lane split I don't use my hazard lights as I don't have any.
Don't use my confirminators either as I'm never entirely sure at any given moment whether I'm going leftwards, rightwards, or in-between.
Keep the fuckers guessing, I reckon.

Devil
30th December 2013, 08:53
yeah and do ya know you can park on yellow broken lines aslong as you are on the inside of the line, no chance for a cage but bikes can.

Any chance you can find the law regarding that? I'd never heard that one. Definitely interested to see what the wording is.

Moi
30th December 2013, 09:05
Go back through this thread and find Rastuscat's contribution in which he gives the link to the Land Transport Act...

A wee bit of holiday reading...

Ntoxcated
30th December 2013, 10:17

2.8 Passing on left
(1) A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction except in accordance with this clause.
(3) If the roadway is marked in lanes, the driver may make the movement referred in subclause (1) only if the driver's vehicle does not encroach on a lane that is unavailable to a driver.

It only seems to support it if you omit subclause 2.

(2) In any case in which the movement referred to subclause (1) may be made,

(a) the 2 vehicles must be in different lanes; or
(b) the overtaken vehicle must be stationary or its driver must have given or be giving the prescribed signal of that driver's intention to turn right; or
(c) if the overtaken vehicle is a light rail vehicle moving in the same direction, the light rail vehicle must not be—

(i) signalling an intention to turn left or to stop; or
(ii) stationary for the purposes of allowing passengers to alight or board.

R650R
30th December 2013, 17:35
Yeah read that too, sounds like he made it up as he went, especially the quoted part. Nothing in legislation is ever worded that way or so specifically, they love to leave some greyness in there.
Don't think we should be worried about one angry man talking about the very few bikes like BMW tar have hazard flashers. Papers should be held to account for printing nonsense like that.
Just for kicks, every motorbike rider that reads dompost should write in about car driver offences they witnessing the ngauranga gorge lol...

pratik8890
31st December 2013, 09:13
Totally agree with this bit with minor correction. Splitting is a privelege that, if not treated with an appropriate level of respect and personal responsibility, can turn nasty very quickly. Done properly, however, you're safer between the lanes than taking the risk of being caught up in a concertina brought about by stop-start traffic.

Commute on the Auckland motorway long enough and it becomes "necessary" in as much as lots of time is saved and you won't get rear-ended.

The feeling I get is that those that complain about it know nothing of which they speak. They've probably never done it and most probably never ridden a motorcycle at all. A lot are just jealous of how quick we can get through traffic.

+1 on your post, I just like to add one more to thing to this- I find most of the car drivers have no clue about riding motorbikes and thats one of the reason theyre mad at us and a very few who do are just concerned and thats pretty much it really.

Any chance you can find the law regarding that? I'd never heard that one. Definitely interested to see what the wording is. Make that two of us!

rastuscat
31st December 2013, 13:26
Any chance you can find the law regarding that? I'd never heard that one. Definitely interested to see what the wording is.

Law of Transportation
Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004

6.4 Parking contrary to notice, traffic sign, or marking
(4) A driver or person in charge of a vehicle must not stop, stand, or park the vehicle on any part of a roadway where the road controlling authority has marked a broken yellow line parallel to, and at a distance of not more than 1 m from, the edge of the roadway.

It'd be somewhere in case law, as the rule itself doesn't include or exclude the area inside the yellow painted thingys.

rastuscat
31st December 2013, 13:28
Go back through this thread and find Rastuscat's contribution in which he gives the link to the Land Transport Act...

A wee bit of holiday reading...

DEAR GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't start reading it. It will consume you !!!

Ahah !! A New Strategy..............get Akzle to read the law........it might just consume him.........and if not, he'll finally know what it says............... :)

rastuscat
31st December 2013, 13:39
Just read the 5 case laws on file.

None mention the "it's okay to park on the inside of the yellow lines" exemption.

Maybe it's like ricking horse poo........non-existent. Still makes a great story.

dangerous
31st December 2013, 17:02

Hey im going back to when ya were safe if ya shot up ya drive from the law if being chased that is... No boubt the books been updated, but i still no no differance
Loop holes they are every were... End of the day as the clash said... 'I fort the law and the law won'

Berries
1st January 2014, 00:42

None mention the "it's okay to park on the inside of the yellow lines" exemption.

Maybe it's like ricking horse poo........non-existent. Still makes a great story.
Too late to bother searching, it'll be in the TCD Rule Part 13 somewhere, but if signs are used then you cannot stop between them, if markings are used then you cannot stop on the road between them. Difference being the amount of space between the road and the edge of the road reserve. You can legally park behind the dotted yellow lines if you are off the road, like on the sealed/unsealed shoulder, but not on a footpath which is a whole different offence, whereas if signs are used you cannot stop between them at all. Plenty of examples around where the council/NZTA permit parking behind no stopping lines. Trying to fit a bike in the 200mm between the lines and a kerb is going to result in a ticket you will end up paying.

Edit - See Figure 6.3 in Section 6.2 of the TCD Rule Part 13 Parking Control. (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/traffic-control-devices-manual/part-13-parking-control/docs/13-parking-control.pdf)

Akzle
1st January 2014, 15:37
dom post? fucken, so these bastards were "reporting" on some mass-shooting in the us.
on 999 days of 1000, i don't give a shit about the us.
BUT, in their reporting, they had a photo of an m16 looking thing, captioned
"a military style semi automatic like the one used in the [emotive] killing of children" - this is a term from new zealand legislation, would not have likely been found in the american report/inquest into the shooting.

this is LIKELY propaganda.
i have no knowledge of what the actual weapon is/was, whether it was a stock photo or evidential.
it struck me as odd that it even needed to be included, and particularly that the term MSSA needed to be mentioned.

anyway. just more from akz' eye on the world. and fuck wellington.

Berries
2nd January 2014, 00:28
Surely propaganda is spouting completely unrelated shit somewhere where it is not wanted? How lane splitting morphed in to assault rifles I don't know. And who gives a fuck about the US anyway?

Akzle
2nd January 2014, 06:11
Surely propaganda is spouting completely unrelated shit somewhere where it is not wanted? How lane splitting morphed in to assault rifles I don't know. And who gives a fuck about the US anyway?

it was in the dom post. Relevant.
It was a nz term, in nz paper. Idgaf about the actual incident.
Also, 100% of people who write for the paper without being paid are probably morons.

WilDun
2nd January 2014, 09:14
dom post? fucken, so these bastards were "reporting" on some mass-shooting in the us.

anyway. just more from akz' eye on the world. and fuck wellington.

Bottom line re: lane splitting, - use your head (not to bash a car with).

The dialogue in the last post sums up the infantile mentality of some bike riders, - if you are a pinhead with nothing useful to say, then fill in the gaps with meaningless jargon! - Time to join the grown-ups (as best you can).

As for your last line, that says it all, I must say that with your attitude, you are doing an admirable job of making everyone think exactly that about Wellington!
I personally found Wellington fine and most Aucklanders generally think the same way - are you neurotic or something?

Who cares what the lunatics in the US do.

Headbanger
2nd January 2014, 09:29
End of the day, Cunts on bikes are doing some stupid shit through the gorge.

Seen it many a time.

Akzle
2nd January 2014, 11:00
Bottom line re: lane splitting, - use your head (not to bash a car with).

The dialogue in the last post sums up the infantile mentality of some bike riders, - if you are a pinhead with nothing useful to say, then fill in the gaps with meaningless jargon! - Time to join the grown-ups (as best you can).

As for your last line, that says it all, I must say that with your attitude, you are doing an admirable job of making everyone think exactly that about Wellington!
I personally found Wellington fine and most Aucklanders generally think the same way - are you neurotic or something?

Who cares what the lunatics in the US do.

what the fuck kind of jew auckland motherfucker are you?
have you heard of trolling?
i'm pro.

Headbanger
2nd January 2014, 11:42
Fuck Auckland

In comparison the cunts in the gorge are champions, even the letter writer

Just sayin.

Erelyes
3rd January 2014, 13:07
Law of Transportation

(4) A driver or person in charge of a vehicle must not stop, stand, or park the vehicle on any part of a roadway where the road controlling authority has marked a broken yellow line parallel to, and at a distance of not more than 1 m from, the edge of the roadway.

It'd be somewhere in case law, as the rule itself doesn't include or exclude the area inside the yellow painted thingys.

Interesting point. The Rule states that Roadway 'means that portion of the road used or reasonably usable for the time being for vehicular traffic in general'.

Now, it's an argument whether the part of road, to the left hand side of the broken yellow line, is 'usable' for general traffic. My understanding is that it would be - one can easily drive one's car along it (albeit close to the kerb), quite legally. That's just my interpretation though. As you said, case law perhaps (be interested to see where)

Akzle
3rd January 2014, 13:34
case law perhaps (be interested to see where)

nzlii.org
. .

scumdog
3rd January 2014, 13:35
Hmm, I must find some of this traffic stuff so I can have a go at lane-splitting thing...:bleh:

scumdog
3rd January 2014, 13:39
i'm pro.

And a legend in his own lunch-time...so there!

scumdog
3rd January 2014, 13:40
Papers should be held to account for printing nonsense like that.

:lol: Funniest post so far in 2014!:2thumbsup

Swoop
3rd January 2014, 13:51

You need to read the accompanying documentation and all of the sub clauses associated with this [exceptionally verbose] documentation.

a.1.5/3:99{5}:c clearly states that "KB users are exempt due to the fact that they ""Prak"" their vehicles instead of ""Park"" them".

Quite simple really.

dangerous
3rd January 2014, 17:12
Hmm, I must find some of this traffic stuff so I can have a go at lane-splitting thing...:bleh:
yeah right... 1st ya beter find a lane to split, then a bike to do it on, good on ya grandad go back to work and spend ya time more wisely :cool:

WilDun
6th January 2014, 13:16
i'm pro.

A pro pinhead?

Bet you don't know much about anything, (except trolling) and I bet you know zilch about bikes.

rastuscat
6th January 2014, 16:29
You need to read the accompanying documentation and all of the sub clauses associated with this [exceptionally verbose] documentation.

a.1.5/3:99{5}:c clearly states that "KB users are exempt due to the fact that they ""Prak"" their vehicles instead of ""Park"" them".

Quite simple really.

Ah yes, the KB exemption. Silly me. :shifty:

imdying
6th January 2014, 16:30
Meh, none of this legal or illegal stuff means anything until you get bowled...Quite the opposite... none of it means anything if you are bowled.

Akzle
6th January 2014, 20:58
A pro pinhead?

Bet you don't know much about anything, (except trolling) and I bet you know zilch about bikes.

wrong thrice in one post...
But lacking entirely in ironing.

scumdog
6th January 2014, 21:14
A pro pinhead?

Huh, just you wait to see the flurry of pro-akzle posts that tell you different buddy!:lol::lol:

WilDun
6th January 2014, 23:07
Huh, just you wait to see the flurry of pro-akzle posts that tell you different buddy!:lol::lol:

Probably wouldn't have time to read it all - I'm a bit busy these days.

veldthui
6th January 2014, 23:23
Law of Transportation

Humm think you actually made the point against what you said. "vehicle must not stop, stand, or park the vehicle on any part of a roadway"

To me the inisde of the line is also part of the roadway. Bet you would not win that one in a court either.

WilDun
7th January 2014, 08:48
wrong thrice in one post...
But lacking entirely in ironing.

Good on you mate! - 9 out of 10 for keeping your cool, 10 out of 10 for moderating your speech! - I would trust you to fix my Honda Gyro anytime!
By the way, what is 'Ironing' ?

Nausea
11th January 2014, 13:01
I don't know what the law says but a few years ago I was pulled over by an (awesome) cop on the Auckland motorway for an unrelated matter. He told me that provided the traffic was going less than 30kmh & we did not lane split at more than 20kph over the traffic speed (or in a dangerous way), the Police would leave us alone.

Akzle
11th January 2014, 16:03
Good on you mate! - 9 out of 10 for keeping your cool, 10 out of 10 for moderating your speech! - I would trust you to fix my Honda Gyro anytime!
By the way, what is 'Ironing' ?

that's nice, i wouldn't touch your honda anytime!

pzkpfw
25th January 2014, 09:39
There's another letter about splitting today.

rastuscat
29th January 2014, 19:55
I don't know what the law says but a few years ago I was pulled over by an (awesome) cop on the Auckland motorway for an unrelated matter. He told me that provided the traffic was going less than 30kmh & we did not lane split at more than 20kph over the traffic speed (or in a dangerous way), the Police would leave us alone.

Cool. Where is that written?

Berries
29th January 2014, 19:59
I think you will find it in post #62.

Phleep
14th February 2014, 11:17

That'd be about right. I have joined a "conga line" of bikes lane-splitting down the Ngauranga Gorge behind a police bike following the <20kph advice.

Never had police stop me but have seen police bikes on the shoulder stopping bikes going down the left.

I am always worried about a car not stopping in time so I lane-split even when going the same speed as traffic.

I just wish they'd get rid of the bumps and paint on the motorcycle lane. :laugh:

swbarnett
14th February 2014, 11:33
I lane-split even when going the same speed as traffic.
This is just asking for trouble. The only thing that makes lane-splitting safe is the speed differential.

Phleep
14th February 2014, 11:49
This is just asking for trouble. The only thing that makes lane-splitting safe is the speed differential.

I am merely meaning offset to the right of the right tire of the car in front. It makes it easier to duck around them if they erratically slam their brakes on or similar. I do observe stopping distances but don't trust the following cars and would rather not be sandwiched.

Kendoll
14th February 2014, 12:07
i'm pro.

Yes, you are :clap: keep it up man, you make these threads interesting :Punk:

swbarnett
14th February 2014, 12:10
I am merely meaning offset to the right of the right tire of the car in front. It makes it easier to duck around them if they erratically slam their brakes on or similar. I do observe stopping distances but don't trust the following cars and would rather not be sandwiched.
Ah, that makes more sense. What you actually mean then is that you keep a good excape route handy. Eminently sensible.

MIXONE
14th February 2014, 12:22
That'd be about right. I have joined a "conga line" of bikes lane-splitting down the Ngauranga Gorge behind a police bike following the <20kph advice.

I just wish they'd get rid of the bumps and paint on the motorcycle lane. :laugh:

If that was some time back I was "Tail End Charlie" that morning.Was cool 6 or 7 bikes splitting without causing hardly a ripple amongst the poor buggers trapped in their tintops.

Phleep
14th February 2014, 12:54
If that was some time back I was "Tail End Charlie" that morning.Was cool 6 or 7 bikes splitting without causing hardly a ripple amongst the poor buggers trapped in their tintops.

Yes, it would have been more than three years ago now. I have been working out in Porirua since then until very recently.

Haven't got a bike on the road at the moment so having to suffer the buses.

imac
14th February 2014, 18:57
A few years in London I was waiting patiently in traffic on my shiney new bike when a bike Popo stopped beside me and to me to follow him and off we went splitting away. Twas awesome

veldthui
14th February 2014, 22:41
Last monday I was happily splitting the nearly stationary traffic on the Auckland motorway at 20-25km/h and stopping at times when the gap got narrow.
Then some dick in yellow leathers screamed up behind me reving the guts out of his machine, beeping his horn trying to get me to move outta the way or go faster.

Dicks:tugger: like this give lane splitting a bad name and I was pee'd off with him so can image most of the cagers were even more so.

Akzle
15th February 2014, 06:38
Last monday I was happily splitting the nearly stationary traffic on the Auckland motorway at 20-25km/h and stopping at times when the gap got narrow.
Then some dick in yellow leathers screamed up behind me reving the guts out of his machine, beeping his horn trying to get me to move outta the way or go faster.

Dicks:tugger: like this give lane splitting a bad name and I was pee'd off with him so can image most of the cagers were even more so.

but you did get the fuck out of the way, right?
Probably not, else he wouldnt have honked.
You are a cager on a bike. And sounds like you the :tugger: in this situ.

Berries
15th February 2014, 06:54
I wouldn't cry about it. To the people in the cars you are passing there is no difference between the two of you.

veldthui
15th February 2014, 18:13
but you did get the fuck out of the way, right?
Probably not, else he wouldnt have honked.
You are a cager on a bike. And sounds like you the :tugger: in this situ.

You were prob the dick that it was so you would know that yes I got outta the way as soon as was safe to do so. I didn't want to end up in his accident. In fact a truck nearly got him just 2 mins after he went past when the gap closed. He must have been doing about 60km/h in near stationary traffic. He would be the type to get pulled over and then bitch about it.

caseye
15th February 2014, 18:25
Unfortunately he/she is the type to cause an accident and continue on oblivious to the carnage they! created in their wake.
Like you I make room for the impatient riders who want to split moving ( OK< slow, but moving ) traffic at warp nine too.
Not worth being in their accident as you so succinctly put it.
Tragically , berries is right, you , me and any other sensible splitting rider becomes just another arse wipe biker when these cowboys do their thing.
It will be because of them that Police will simply ban all forms of splitting in the future and then they'll BITCH even louder, pricks, prickesses!

swbarnett
15th February 2014, 19:24
It will be because of them that Police will simply ban all forms of splitting in the future
No, it'll be because the pricks in favour of the ban can't tell their arse from their elbow. They'll be poking their noses into something they know absolutely nothing about.

You can't call yourself educated until you're aware of exactly how little you know.

and then they'll BITCH even louder, pricks, prickesses!
Of this I have ho doubt. But they won't be the only ones bitching.

98tls
15th February 2014, 19:29
:laugh::violin:This is tragic.

Berries
15th February 2014, 23:39
Tragically , berries is right, you , me and any other sensible splitting rider becomes just another arse wipe biker when these cowboys do their thing.
Nah, not what I meant. Someone in a car who gets pissed off at motorbikes going past them in traffic probably does not even register their speed. 30km/h or 60km/h, they are being overtaken by some arse on a bike between the lanes which is wrong, in their opinion. [And lets face it, although we can use the way the rules are written to justify splitting and filtering nowhere does it explicitly say that motorbikes can ride between lanes of stationary or moving traffic]. So it doesn't matter if it is Mr Angry on his yellow bike doing 60 or veldthui doing sub walking pace, to the car driver they are the same thing.

You were prob the dick that it was so you would know that yes I got outta the way as soon as was safe to do so. I didn't want to end up in his accident. In fact a truck nearly got him just 2 mins after he went past when the gap closed. He must have been doing about 60km/h in near stationary traffic. He would be the type to get pulled over and then bitch about it.
You're doing 20 and he is doing 60 and you can see him two minutes after he goes past you? The roads must be pretty straight up your way.

swbarnett
16th February 2014, 10:02
nowhere does it explicitly say that motorbikes can ride between lanes of stationary
I don't have a reference but I believe that there is a specific clause that allows this.

or moving traffic
I believe this is covered by "lane sharing".

Berries
16th February 2014, 19:42
I don't have a reference but I believe that there is a specific clause that allows this.
Post it when you get a chance, I thought I knew the rules inside and out so am genuinely interested.

pritch
16th February 2014, 20:05
You were prob the dick that it was so you would know

Bugga! I didn't know Akzle was in the 'Naki, I'd have bought him a beer.:drinkup:

ricardohardo
16th February 2014, 21:11
West akl to CBD lane splitter who goes by the number plate 'r4pid' ...this guy is Moses...traffic parts like the red sea due to his exhaust thump...I just get in behind...catch him b4 9am...its a straight run to town

swbarnett
17th February 2014, 06:20
Post it when you get a chance, I thought I knew the rules inside and out so am genuinely interested.

It was one of the KB cops I think that originally stated it in another thread.

I've managed to find this in the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/docs/road-user-2004.pdf). This effectively allows anybody to pass to the left of any stationary traffic.

2.8 Passing on left
(1) A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the left of another
vehicle moving in the same direction except in accordance
with this clause.
(2) In any case in which the movement referred to subclause (1)
may be made,—
(a) the 2 vehicles must be in different lanes; or
(b) the overtaken vehicle must be stationary or its driver
must have given or be giving the prescribed signal of
that driver’s intention to turn right;

Larksea
17th February 2014, 07:50
West akl to CBD lane splitter who goes by the number plate 'r4pid' ...this guy is Moses...traffic parts like the red sea due to his exhaust thump...I just get in behind...catch him b4 9am...its a straight run to town

thats hilarious, got this image on my head of some dude looks like gandalf with a wizard hat and staff on a giant boar like mount with pipes that thump exhaust into the ground making it tremble everywhere he goes.

interesting reading, i'm kinda new to riding only a year or so and for most of it I just stuck to my own lane so i'm only now starting to split in queues and traffic that is almost stationary. no idea whats legal, mostly watching how other riders do it and figuring out what works. its good when some drivers see you coming and give you a bit of room, then there are the drivers that basically do the opposite...

strandedinnz
17th February 2014, 08:53

I've tagged along behind him as well ... awesome to behold! Cars look a little close ? Hi blips the throttle and low the cars doth part! :)

yevjenko
17th February 2014, 18:54
i'm kinda new to riding only a year or so and for most of it I just stuck to my own lane so i'm only now starting to split in queues and traffic that is almost stationary. no idea whats legal, mostly watching how other riders do it and figuring out what works. its good when some drivers see you coming and give you a bit of room, then there are the drivers that basically do the opposite...

Just remember to thank the cagers that do move over. Every little helps

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

yevjenko
17th February 2014, 18:58

I'm not surprised they shift. 1600cc Yamaha mt01. If they don't move all he'd have to do is get the cages to look at his bike and they'd puke on their own laps. Almost as ugly a bike as the Ducati diavel

GrayWolf
19th February 2014, 06:46
I'm not surprised they shift. 1600cc Yamaha mt01. If they don't move all he'd have to do is get the cages to look at his bike and they'd puke on their own laps. Almost as ugly a bike as the Ducati diavel

Says the man with a bike almost as fugly as a B-king.... :girlfight:

yevjenko
19th February 2014, 07:26
Says the man with a bike almost as fugly as a B-king.... :girlfight:

Absolutely! So I know a thing or two about uuuugly bikes :-)

awa355
27th February 2014, 19:15
Have just seen this on an Aussie forum. Not sure how accurate it is.

25 February 2014

NSW GOVERNMENT SET TO LEGALISE SAFE LANE FILTERING FOR MOTORCYCLISTS

NSW will be the first of the state and territories to legalise motorcycle lane filtering Minister for Roads and Ports Duncan Gay announced today.

Minister Gay released a package of changes to help ease road congestion and improve safety by reforming laws for motorcyclists.

“Today the NSW Government is releasing common sense solutions to key issues for motorcyclists while maintaining road safety for other road users,” Minister Gay said.

“This package is further evidence of the NSW Liberals & Nationals easing congestion on our roads, whether it’s through record investment in infrastructure or small changes with a big impact like our pinch points program in Western Sydney.

“Last year we held a successful trial in Sydney CBD last year of motorcyclists being exempt from existing lane filtering laws in an attempt to ease road congestion and measure potential safety issues for other road users.

“As a result of the trial we will introduce a new law that will permit fully licenced motorcyclists to legally filter past stationary vehicles at intersections when it is safe to do so.

“Riders will be able to filter at a speed limit of 30km/h.

“It is important to note the new law will not apply to school zones during hours of operation where there might be an increase in pedestrian activity.

“However, the dangerous practice of filtering over the speed limit of 30km/h will become its own specific offence.

“Filtering at high speeds is dangerous and will increase the crash risk for motorcycle riders and other roads users, particularly cyclists and pedestrians.

“The new rule changes will give us the opportunity to communicate with riders so they better understand the risks involved with lane filtering and educate them on safe filtering practice.

“I am also pleased to announce we will fix an anomaly that currently exists in NSW legislation regarding the minimum spacing for motorcycle rear indicators.

“The legal spacing under Australian Design Rules is a minimum of 180 millimetres yet under NSW legislation road authorities were enforcing a minimum of 300 millimetres.

“A lot of motorcyclists complied with Australian Design Rules yet riders driving around in popular bikes like the Suzuki GSXR-750 or the Honda XR250L were still getting hit with defect notices.

“This package of reforms is a result of close consultation with key stakeholders such as the NSW Motorcycle Alliance, Motorcycle Council of NSW and NSW Police.

“We listened and fixed the problems. It’s another example of this government removing unnecessary red tape and getting things done after almost two decades of inaction by the former Labor Governments,” Minister Gay said.

Conditions to manage the safety risks associated with lane filtering:

· Filtering only permitted when it is ‘safe to do so’. Situations where it is not ‘safe to do so’ may include:

o When the manoeuvre is at high speed between moving traffic; and

o Riders will be required to comply with all other road rules when performing the lane filtering manoeuvre, including rules that do not allow them to overtake to the left of vehicles in the kerbside lane (adjacent to a pedestrian path), travel in the breakdown lane, or when filtering around trucks and buses.

· Imposing a speed limit of 30km/h.

o Clearly defines the maximum speed riders are allowed to filter at. This makes it clear that filtering over the speed limit of 30km/h is illegal.

o Setting at 30km/h will limit filtering to slow moving traffic where vehicles are moving at or below this speed

o This speed is 10km/h lower than the 40km/h limit currently implemented in high pedestrian activity zones

· Limit filtering to fully licenced riders only (excluding Learner or Provisional riders)

o Manoeuvre only allowed by experienced riders who may have more highly developed hazard perception and motorcycle handling skills.

o May reduce risk of inexperienced riders having crashes associated with inadequate gap selection or awareness of pedestrians/other road users while filtering.

· No filtering in school zones during hours of operation

o Ensures that filtering does not occur around schools on multi-lane roads where there may be an increase in pedestrian activity by children.

Media: Marie Scoutas 0467739976 or Lance Northey 0467743192

yevjenko
27th February 2014, 19:21
I'd heard about the trial. Good to see it worked

o Manoeuvre only allowed by experienced riders who may have more highly developed hazard perception and motorcycle handling skills.

Love this... "MAY have more highly developed" they haven't seen me ride then