PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Youtube videos - quality issues?

awa355
28th December 2013, 04:05
Have uploaded a couple of videos to you tube lately, then deleted them after seeing the finished you tube product. Compared to the original, the y tube vids are grainy and hazy. None of the sharpness of the originals. I know the you tube process destroys some of the quality in the process.

Is there a particular format that y tube uploads better than the WMV files I have after using windows live movie maker?

Have tried Photobucket but right at the end, keep getting a ' failed ' notice. Have not tried other storage sites.

sil3nt
28th December 2013, 11:16
The original FLVs are best to upload to youtube. Youtube has an inbuilt editor you can use after you upload. The trouble with this is that unless you have fibre or a vdsl connection the uploads will take forever.

Do you know what settings you use in windows movie maker? I notice it now has a youtube option under publish movie.

Grizzo
28th December 2013, 15:33
What export options does movie maker have?

I export of an M4V format from imovie on the apple, drag and drop it straight into the youtube upload window and it keeps the quality very close to what ever I record it at.

awa355
28th December 2013, 16:07
With my last clip, I clicked on the You Tube icon and it gave a selection of resolution sizes to pick from. I have loaded two short clips from my ride in the scooter section. Neither are anything special but are a learning curve for me.

Grizzo
28th December 2013, 17:23
With my last clip, I clicked on the You Tube icon and it gave a selection of resolution sizes to pick from. I have loaded two short clips from my ride in the scooter section. Neither are anything special but are a learning curve for me.

The youtube option maybe allowing for mobile phone resolution also...this might be a lower quality for quicker viewing. In my export options it lets you pick your preferred audience, mobile phone/devices etc, up to HD. I would check to see if there are any other presets you could use to export as other than the youtube option.

Big Dave
30th December 2013, 12:15
I get WYSIWYG on YT using H.264 encoding. Full HD.

My guess is it's either your player/playback settings defaulting to lores or the source file's encoding is askew.

p.dath
31st December 2013, 08:59
I get WYSIWYG on YT using H.264 encoding. Full HD.

My guess is it's either your player/playback settings defaulting to lores or the source file's encoding is askew.

YouTube stores the video natively in H.264, so Big Daves advice sounds good to me.