PDA

View Full Version : Derestricting a RGV250?

badbui
6th January 2014, 10:26
Hi guys, I have procured an unrestricted sapc for my RGV however...My bike vj22 is running 32mm carbs.
Keeping an eye out for 34s but in the mean time...will I see much gain from installing the 22d30?
From forum searching I'm aware I might have to do some messing around with jets etc.
Any advice appreciated.

ps. anyone got some 34mm carbs for sale?

cheers
-s

Akzle
6th January 2014, 10:40
i have no idea what a 223d0 is, but tweaking carbs can make bike run gooder than not tweaking them.
Can also monumentally fuck your shit up. So go easy.
Find a bigger butterfly and just have the 32mm bored out.

iranana
6th January 2014, 11:03
i have no idea what a 223d0 is, but tweaking carbs can make bike run gooder than not tweaking them.

damn straight, before you do anything to your carbs, look up the jetting specs and carefully compare all aspects of them. I know nothing about RGVs, but I do know that some Mikuni carb's have fixed air corrector jets that will royally fuck up any attempt to jet correctly if you mix and match. I ran into an issue with my RD in that the carbs for the machines distributed to Oceania had different air corrector jets than those in the UK. I was trying to jet to UK spec, the bike ran like shit and no amount of fiddling would remedy it. Once I'd discovered this minute difference, I found a pair of UK carbs and presto, it runs great with the UK jetting in it. Moral of the story is, don't fuck around with your carbs unless you know exactly what you're changing, or you'll end up spending more money than you have to (like I did), and you might fiddle around for hours trying to jet out a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place (like I did)...

Crasherfromwayback
6th January 2014, 12:11

Ain't no butterflies in them thar carbs.

imdying
6th January 2014, 16:20
i have no idea what a 223d0 isClearly.

OP, don't bore anything out, this man is a retard.

Yes, install the new SAPC and rejet. After the SAPC, the most bang for your buck are pipes, Tyga are cheap and fine.

No 34s sorry. How about a 318cc engine with a billet crank, 38mm carbs, and a programmable ignition?

imdying
6th January 2014, 16:24
Oh, and please sign up to the forums at rgv250.co.uk, you will not find a better resource for RGVs anywhere, and the joker running it has a shop stocked with everything you'll ever need.

badbui
6th January 2014, 16:44
thanks imdying!!!
I'm already signed up with rgv250.co.uk...but thought I'd ask here as people like yourself have given good advice in past rgv threads.
Also just seeing if there was a local source for the 34mm carbs.
thanks to all who have replied.
cheers
-s

Crasherfromwayback
6th January 2014, 19:14
thanks imdying!!!
I'm already signed up with rgv250.co.uk...but thought I'd ask here as people like yourself have given good advice in past rgv threads.
Also just seeing if there was a local source for the 34mm carbs.
thanks to all who have replied.
cheers
-s

You could easily use 2 KX125 35mm carbs. Be easy enough to source.

the oldstuff
6th January 2014, 19:53

Oooo, can I bore them out? Just bought a cool drill mill and want something to practice on. Will have to read the instructions first though...

gammaguy
6th January 2014, 20:26

waahaaa

you really know your shit dude

show me a butterfly on a RGV250 Carb and ill show you a power valve in your GSX

Akzle
6th January 2014, 20:50
Oooo, can I bore them out? Just bought a cool drill mill and want something to practice on. Will have to read the instructions first though...

sounds like its a slider. Still doable.
If Your drill is chinese shit, dont bother.

ktm84mxc
7th January 2014, 07:42
Should start a 2 smoke form for us just so we can have a laugh at the diesel riders replies.

imdying
7th January 2014, 09:17
Also just seeing if there was a local source for the 34mm carbs.Just trademe. Remember Aprilia RS250s have RGV engines, so their carbs fit. There are some minor differences in jetting, but nothing that will stop you from getting going (i.e. MJ is the same).

SVboy
7th January 2014, 09:42
sounds like its a slider. Still doable.
If Your drill is chinese shit, dont bother.

What a fuckwit. Leave the 'advice' to people who know what they are talking about. Fuck off and paint your roof......

F5 Dave
13th January 2014, 21:17
You could easily use 2 KX125 35mm carbs. Be easy enough to source.
Sadly no chance. RGV are severely downdraft.

I just bored a 32 RGV carb out to 35mm plus fitted solenoid powerjet. I'd be buying an Ignitech ign that can drive power valves too, they are quite cheap.

trick when boring these is to offset mill from both sides leaving the emulsion tube Shield, then finish slither with dremel.
Can't add pics on tablet tonight , might remember tomorrow or look on RS250 forum under carbs

Neal
14th January 2014, 00:37
Would like to see the power jet mod

Crasherfromwayback
14th January 2014, 07:39
Sadly no chance. RGV are severely downdraft.

Poos to that then!

F5 Dave
14th January 2014, 08:51
Hmm, back at werk PC. Now ignore the fact the brass tube is full length, I've cut it to half way and slash cut the end like a Keihin. I made some hex ally to replicate the Keihin powerjet recess & robbed a solenoid (which I must replace so I can sell the KX carb, but only $78 from US). Then got a toolmaker to make a press in brass seat like the original.

1st Pic bit hard to see & piece not cleaned up so looks rough. exit to tube is at 9 O'clock above brass (modelled off PWK dimensions) if you squint.

Then welded a small bracket to it & screwed & glued it to the carb. Feeds from original bowl jet. 2nd & 3rd pics show slither to be dremeled, but its like 5mm wide & came up nicely. This is for my Bucket so only one carb. Yet to put it back on but initial tests were positive but didn't get to properly test the solenoid as made an error of assumption with the Ignitech & have since fitted a TPS remotely.

So while Axzle is an idiot, it is possible to bore the carbs. In fact the 32 & 34 have the same body. the 32 is offset bored so its thicker at the top than the bottom. 34 will be equal & my 35 is thinner at the top. (crazy RGV150 uses a 26mm(ish) in same body & about 8mm extra material at the top).