PDA

View Full Version : Post holiday blues

Big Dave
7th January 2014, 13:37
Had a pretty good 3 weeks of general sifting and responsibility dodging.
Back at the machine now though.

Didn't do much riding over the break. It's the worst time for it over here. Just too hot in Brizvegas, although the other 9 months make up for it.
That and once you've lived in NZ, purely recreational riding in Aus loses some of its appeal. Touring etc is all good and a dirt bash around the Glasshouse Mountains is still fun, but there are only so many times you can ride up Mt Glorious.

Anyway, you lot back in the flow yet?

I'm still needing choke to get started.

From Character to Charisma

Back when a lot of us first rode a Fat Boy it was a case of putting some of its foibles down to ‘character’.

The metaphor for ‘stuff other machines did better’.

Selecting neutral for example. It’s not that long ago that if you forgot to light the green N before you stopped at the lights, it was a case of get ready for a forearm workout. Holding a reasonable heavy clutch in for the duration of the traffic cycle.

You got a lower body workout too, from constantly clunking the heavy shift and clunk between first and second gears - until like me, you probably just gave up. It only happened a few times because selecting before you stop was burned into the thought process. Automatic – until I forgot again.

Generally, once stopping – even with the unremarkable pre-abs brakes was mastered, one would monitor the EFI. Ready to give the throttle a blip in case it stumbled. Depending on how far back you go, you even had to remember to clear its throat before you took off from the lights too.

My how times have changed.

unstuck
7th January 2014, 14:22
My life is one big holiday, Only ride I had over the holiday period was a trip to west dome for the day. Came home completely knackered and covered in mud and a grin that is still on my face 3 days later.:Punk::Punk:

Big Dave
7th January 2014, 14:57
That's a long time to have mud on your mug.

unstuck
7th January 2014, 15:36
That's a long time to have mud on your mug.

Savoring the memories(and smell). I dont get out riding enough.:msn-wink:

vifferman
7th January 2014, 15:38
Actually, I've got the "Still on holiday" blues. :argh:
I took an extra week, so I could have the same days off as my goodly wife, but I'm SO bored! Up until now, I've been labouring - building a deck and whatnot. Still got some paving to do, but can't be bothered.
Did some baking today - oliebollen for us, and some star anise (aka 'doggie crack') cookies for the hounds. read a couple of books, but I'm sick of reading too. I'd go back to work early, but that's stressful and boring because there's fark-all to do there (hence the extended break). :crazy:

unstuck
7th January 2014, 15:39
Actually, I've got the "Still on holiday" blues. :argh:
I took an extra week, so I could have the same days off as my goodly wife, but I'm SO bored! Up until now, I've been labouring - building a deck and whatnot. Still got some paving to do, but can't be bothered.
Did some baking today - oliebollen for us, and some star anise (aka 'doggie crack') cookies for the hounds. read a couple of books, but I'm sick of reading too. I'd go back to work early, but that's stressful and boring because there's fark-all to do there (hence the extended break). :crazy:

You sound like a boring fucker.:whistle:

vifferman
7th January 2014, 15:51
You sound like a boring fucker.:whistle:
I've often thought that myself.

Big Dave
7th January 2014, 16:18
Most of (non bike) customers are still on hols, but I have two articles to write and a photo set to do. Gradually finding the juice.

Pretty thang.

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdavespics/11202220426/player/" width="640" height="416" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Headbanger
7th January 2014, 16:45
I went back to NZ for a week or so, Was reunited with the almighty speed triple after over a year and a half without her.

Went riding every day, apart from Christmas day in which I just sulked because I couldn't go riding.

As much as wanganui is a piece of shit, 5 minutes in any direction and you're on a great road for motorcycles.

Back in Brissy, no fucking bike.

First day back to work tomorrow.:clap:

Padmei
7th January 2014, 18:37
I'm back at work & am actually enjoying it. We went to the bach in marl sounds for a couple of weeks but with the weather being crap there is only so much eating you can do. The others just read but I can't sit still for too long. Went for one ride to Hanmer via molesworth & rainbow but that was fricking coldish.
Anyway it's nice coming home at the end of the day having actually done something tangible. if the weather sorts its shit out I'll take some days off later - I'm self employed.

Akzle
8th January 2014, 07:03
y' want to take holidaze long enough that you miss it, but not so long the boss realises that things go quite well without you...

Banditbandit
8th January 2014, 10:14
I'm back at work (Since Monday) ...

Enjoyed the break (not long enough) - did some work on my garden - rode to the Cemetery Circuit and back ... the weather was too bad to do much fishing ...

I will take leave when the schools go back .. the roads and country will be quieter .. and I can go cruising ...

SMOKEU
8th January 2014, 11:24
Fuck working. Work is for suckers.

bogan
8th January 2014, 11:29
Fuck working. Work is for suckers.

Depends what line of work you're in smokey.

Me, I went back to work on sat, by choice.

SMOKEU
8th January 2014, 11:30
Depends what line of work you're in smokey.

Me, I went back to work on sat, by choice.

Going back to work voluntarily? You must love your job.

Banditbandit
8th January 2014, 11:32
Going back to work voluntarily? You must love your job.

Blugger ...

SPman
8th January 2014, 15:07
Back at work - thank the stars - should take me about a week to recover from the "time off". I think it was the two gate posts with sodding rocks in the ground that finished me off - post hole borer...clean out hole...steel bar to dig hard ground and prise out stones..borer etc, etc. And it was only 30C - not like it was hot or anything