PDA

View Full Version : Oh Bugger - Massive screw up here

Paul in NZ
8th January 2014, 12:49
Jesus what a cluster fuck....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9586174/At-least-one-dead-in-Manawatu-truck-smash

Two rigs crawling along? At that length I thought they were supposed to have a pilot front and back? The poor prick in the car didnt stand a chance...

These over size loads can be a bloody nightmare... I remember coming back from up north in the car once and came up behind one north of Hunterville... It was super wide (passing lane) and the bloody thing kept using his blinker signalling to trucks going the other way and leaving it on and we were all like WTF is this guy telling us to pass??? Er? No... er maybe? I dunno... Anyway after a bloody long time (like 30 mins or so) of litterally crawling along... The rear pilot just about ran us off the road as we crept up closer to see if he was waving... It was very odd....

SMOKEU
8th January 2014, 13:01
"Almost directly outside the Perry's home, a third truck carrying fresh produce came up behind the convoy at a faster speed and wasn't able to break hard enough in time, Nick said."

Why are people so obsessed with breaking their vehicles? I try hard not to break my stuff, because then it costs time and money to fix.

Gremlin
8th January 2014, 13:24
These over size loads can be a bloody nightmare... I remember coming back from up north in the car once and came up behind one north of Hunterville... It was super wide (passing lane) and the bloody thing kept using his blinker signalling to trucks going the other way and leaving it on and we were all like WTF is this guy telling us to pass??? Er? No... er maybe? I dunno... Anyway after a bloody long time (like 30 mins or so) of litterally crawling along... The rear pilot just about ran us off the road as we crept up closer to see if he was waving... It was very odd....
It's the truckers way of waving to each other. First time I saw it, I thought yep, safe to pass, had a look... uh, no :crazy: Then realised, so mostly ignore when a truck indicates on the open road (unless slowing etc).

If they were taking up both lanes, then very likely there were pilots, just not mentioned. Possibly obscured, with the convoy, then big chill truck, car and this crazy produce truck comes racing up behind at open road speeds. Still, you should notice the lights getting rapidly bigger in the distance?

Paul in NZ
8th January 2014, 13:30
If they were taking up both lanes, then very likely there were pilots, just not mentioned. Possibly obscured, with the convoy, then big chill truck, car and this crazy produce truck comes racing up behind at open road speeds. Still, you should notice the lights getting rapidly bigger in the distance?

Oh yes granted but I think the pilot is supposed to be back far enough so you can't rush up... Anyway its not a thing I know bugger all about (obviously) but its a damn shame.... Shitty thing for everyone....

bluninja
8th January 2014, 13:34
Jesus what a cluster fuck....

Two rigs crawling along? At that length I thought they were supposed to have a pilot front and back? The poor prick in the car didnt stand a chance...

Even if there was, the last truck was behind a car that was behind a b-train. Clearly those vehicles had slowed based on the hazard ahead, the last truck clearly didn't.

Ender EnZed
8th January 2014, 14:30
I would've thought that the rear pilot vehicle would have been travelling far enough behind the wide load that traffic had past it before having to queue behind the load. Doesn't really sound like that happened though.

Trade_nancy
8th January 2014, 15:23
That's the risk when super large loads are transported in the darkness. While traffic disruptions are far less - risk to the other traffic is high. Inattention, a mistake, poor visibility..whatever...leads to the death of an innocent person(s). The boat should have been transported in daylight IMHO. Other companies do so. When travelling down to the Burt Munro this year, we followed TWO large transporters on the SH south of CHCH ...about 100 metres apart - one carrying a house and the other the roof. We followed them for about 15-20 minutes till we got to a town and were able to ride a gap to pass. Not really a big problem. I'd hate to have come up behind them in blackness.

Grumph
8th January 2014, 15:33
That's the risk when super large loads are transported in the darkness. While traffic disruptions are far less - risk to the other traffic is high. Inattention, a mistake, poor visibility..whatever...leads to the death of an innocent person(s). The boat should have been transported in daylight IMHO. Other companies do so. When travelling down to the Burt Munro this year, we followed TWO large transporters on the SH south of CHCH ...about 100 metres apart - one carrying a house and the other the roof. We followed them for about 15-20 minutes till we got to a town and were able to ride a gap to pass. Not really a big problem. I'd hate to have come up behind them in blackness.

I've seen worse...coming back from Timaru in the dark, doing a steady 100kph, got chased down and passed by a big set of lights which turned out to be a transporter with the biggest bloody road roller I've ever seen on board. Out of curiosity, I paced him for a while and was left behind as he worked up to a terminal velocity around 130kph...

it's usually car transporters which go off at high speed at night in the SI - the resulting mess has to be seen to be believed.

bogan
8th January 2014, 15:36
Head out that way for work fairly often, it's not the sort of road that should cause any issues with large loads transported at night. Mistakes were made, questions will be asked and answered, but I doubt the answers will ever be enough, RIP.

Grubber
8th January 2014, 17:19
Head out that way for work fairly often, it's not the sort of road that should cause any issues with large loads transported at night. Mistakes were made, questions will be asked and answered, but I doubt the answers will ever be enough, RIP.

Well said.
This was one of my subbies that crashed.
Plenty of speculation at the moment.

Large loads generally have tons of lights on them to give plenty of visibility.
With the Big Chill behind those lights would not have been visible of coarse.
Think someone had their eyes shut.

Sad affair all the same!

Akzle
8th January 2014, 18:16
i bet he was going 4km/h too fast. Otherwise everyone would have gone on to lead productive lives, unmolested.

slofox
8th January 2014, 18:33
It's the truckers way of waving to each other.

And a practice I hate. It gives false signals to following or attempting to pass, traffic. Bastards. Burn them I say.

Milts
8th January 2014, 20:33
But that's OK, we can't invest in rail infrastructure to take this type of shipping off the road because the initial outlay is too much :rolleyes:

Ocean1
8th January 2014, 20:48
But that's OK, we can't invest in rail infrastructure to take this type of shipping off the road because the initial outlay is too much :rolleyes:

Either that or everyone on the planet managing a rail infrastructure budget actually did some arithmetic and decided not to bother spending billions on a rail system that could deal with: "an 11 metre-wide Profab Central Engineering-built catamaran".

Kickaha
8th January 2014, 20:50

When we did have it, it was fucking slow and they used to steal half your shit, that's if they hadn't lost it

Grubber
9th January 2014, 08:56
When we did have it, it was fucking slow and they used to steal half your shit, that's if they hadn't lost it

Rail was good in the day. If you didn't have a deadline on the freight and didn't care if it was damaged too much. It still is quite effective today under the same guise.
Great thing about road transport is the service and reliability.
If you were to look at the stats you would see that there is in fact very few deaths or injury due to heavy transport. Although this doesn't mean it couldn't improve as we can well see from this incident.

Paul in NZ
9th January 2014, 09:00
Rail was good in the day. If you didn't have a deadline on the freight and didn't care if it was damaged too much. It still is quite effective today under the same guise.
If you were to look at the stats you would see that there is in fact very few deaths or injury due to heavy transport. Although this doesn't mean it couldn't improve as we can well see from this incident.

Well... Not always...

Rail could not physically deliver that load... Too wide for any tunnels ;-) And back when we were selling big flat screens that cost a motza there were heaps that went 'missing' off trucks... Truely an alarming amount...

Grubber
9th January 2014, 09:57
Well... Not always...

Rail could not physically deliver that load... Too wide for any tunnels ;-) And back when we were selling big flat screens that cost a motza there were heaps that went 'missing' off trucks... Truely an alarming amount...

Yea very true. Still needed a truck to deliver. But to get bulk loads from Auckland to Chch perhaps with no time constraints, they are very competitive.
Oh yes, plenty went missing for sure, especially smaller freight of the individual packages. Should have seen how much beer was in the wagons we used to unload and deliver. Bulk loads such as large consignments of timber etc they were very cost effective.

Trade_nancy
9th January 2014, 10:32
Well said.
This was one of my subbies that crashed.
Plenty of speculation at the moment.

Large loads generally have tons of lights on them to give plenty of visibility.
With the Big Chill behind those lights would not have been visible of coarse.
Think someone had their eyes shut.

Sad affair all the same!
Good point - no matter how many lights are on board = possibly invisible with a truck behind or in front. Move it during the day.

Paul in NZ
9th January 2014, 10:40
Good point - no matter how many lights are on board = possibly invisible with a truck behind or in front. Move it during the day.

I take the point but am not so sure as it was 11m wide ffs and lets assume it should have had lights at the outer edges... The rigs are often not so well lit up from behind and the car would have been harder to see BUT those vehicles would have had legal tail lights... If the cat had its outer edges lit the pattern could have looked very confusing from behind and the driver imagined it was something else all together...

Either way 2 people died under terrible circumstance and we can only hope a proper investigation may lead to changes in how this sort of thing is done to stop it happening again...

Trade_nancy
9th January 2014, 11:20
I doubt any changes will happen Paul.
Big wide road there - gotta agree with that - so in theory should be visible. But as we all know - we see less and less often at night and when we are tired...less again.
But what about before that accident site - up Rangitikei Line on the way out of palmy? I've had two close calls with houses being moved by these people...both incidents two years ago and I made a police complaint after the second. I saw a pilot vehicle drive past me at the intersection turning onto rang St towards Palmy. I turned, kept slow and leftish...saw a blaze of glory lights up ahead - could have been anything - I was dazzled by the barrage of lights. Pulled to a stop half off the road...I nearly hit the house - they only had XMAS lights on the truck and the house took both lanes of the road. I had to rapidly go left off the road onto the grass/gravel. Tailend ute driver came along and I yelled out the truck's load was not visible - he called back "get fucked".

Paul in NZ
9th January 2014, 11:29
Tailend ute driver came along and I yelled out the truck's load was not visible - he called back "get fucked".

Now thats some classy pro driving stuff right there....

bogan
9th January 2014, 11:47
There is a school of thought by some posters on this website that if you feel safe you are safe going fast. Maybe that driver had the same school of thought.

A person or persons died in a manner that made identifying the number of dead extremely difficult. Show some fucking respect you brain-dead troll.

Grumph
9th January 2014, 12:40
There is a school of thought by some posters on this website that if you feel safe you are safe going fast. Maybe that driver had the same school of thought.

I've seen your posts on other threads mate....Don't EVER come near me for assistance with any motorcycle.

i have never blacklisted anyone before but your sanctimonious attitude gets right up my nose......

Akzle
9th January 2014, 13:23
i have never blacklisted anyone before......

even me??
. .

oldrider
9th January 2014, 13:44
Number of times we have suddenly rounded a corner and come upon a tractor with an unlit trailer in tow is starting to mount up!

Last one was between the Forks Hotel and Ikawai on a narrow left hander ... almost pitch black ... couldn't see the tractor lights for the size of the unlit trailer!

Very close thing actually but fortunately was alert looking out for bloody wallabies .... have had tangles with them through there at night quite often! :doh:

Paul in NZ
9th January 2014, 13:53
even me??
. .

You need to try harder....

Paul in NZ
9th January 2014, 13:54
Number of times we have suddenly rounded a corner and come upon a tractor with an unlit trailer in tow is starting to mount up!

Last one was between the Forks Hotel and Ikawai on a narrow left hander ... almost pitch black ... couldn't see the tractor lights for the size of the unlit trailer!

Very close thing actually but fortunately was alert looking out for bloody wallabies .... have had tangles with them through there at night quite often! :doh:

Yup - even on SHW1 in certain areas you can easily get caught out by agricultural machines...

Akzle
9th January 2014, 14:03
You need to try harder....

i try real hard mister. But it dont matter none what you say. Mum says im special

Ocean1
9th January 2014, 14:08
Yup - even on SHW1 in certain areas you can easily get caught out by agricultural machines...

Meh. :yawn:

oldrider
9th January 2014, 14:10
i try real hard mister. But it dont matter none what you say. Mum says im special

That's true .... cos I think your mum is special too .... it obviously runs in your family! :yes:

jasonu
9th January 2014, 14:26

Maybe you should get fucked!!!

Paul in NZ
9th January 2014, 14:32
Meh. :yawn:

Oh - I'd definately stop and watch that puppy cross the road... Greenpeaces nightmare...

Milts
9th January 2014, 14:44

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/site-resources/content/about/docs/media/oia/oia-1227-leaman.pdf

Grubber
9th January 2014, 14:47

Fuck off back to where you came from you dick. This thread isn't for your amusement.

Grubber
9th January 2014, 14:52
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/site-resources/content/about/docs/media/oia/oia-1227-leaman.pdf

That was a bit of interesting reading to be fair. took a while to decipher though.

Milts
9th January 2014, 15:16
That was a bit of interesting reading to be fair. took a while to decipher though.

Yeah tables and tables of stats are always a pain, especially in PDF. Interesting request though ay.

If you believe the government's new number of 'each death on the roads costs us $4.4 million', then rail freight looks cheaper and cheaper.

oldrider
9th January 2014, 15:19

A quick look at and speed read of that suggests to me that the stats are improving quite markedly lately, if so, very encouraging!

Did I get that right? :confused: Previously my impression was that it was the other way around! ... Just goes to show don't it! :rolleyes:

PS: Rail is really only a "make work" methodology especially our little toy system it would need to begin all over again it's been superseded for a valid reason!

Grubber
9th January 2014, 15:20
Yeah tables and tables of stats are always a pain, especially in PDF. Interesting request though ay.

If you take the government's new number of 'each death on the roads costs us $4.4 million', then rail freight looks cheaper and cheaper.

Yea going from that angle it does.
Wonder if anyone else ever thought of it that way!
Have to say though, that does sound excessively high don't ya reckon. Not sure how they may have analysed that.
Would hate to think what all road stats cost us.

Grubber
9th January 2014, 15:22
I'm not 100% sure but i am fairly sure trucks still have the lowest death rate per capita of all vehicles.

Crasherfromwayback
9th January 2014, 15:24

Fuck you're a flea.

Milts
9th January 2014, 15:29
Yea going from that angle it does.
Wonder if anyone else ever thought of it that way!
Have to say though, that does sound excessively high don't ya reckon. Not sure how they may have analysed that.
Would hate to think what all road stats cost us.

I'm not 100% sure but i am fairly sure trucks still have the lowest death rate per capita of all vehicles.

Yes I also suspect that number is excessively high and factors in things that it shouldn't. Heavy trucks have an extremely low crash rate per kilometer traveled - it's bloody impressive when you think about it (I guess it somewhat shows the difference being a 'professional' driver makes)....

Even so, they clock up so many kilometers that there are still plenty of crashes, and obviously they tend to be pretty bad crashes just due to the nature of trucks. Pulling out in front of an 18 wheeler is much more likely to be fatal than pulling out in front of a hatchback. I do think that much of the opposition to rail freight ignores a huge amount of externalities like these.

Robbo
9th January 2014, 16:46
Update on this tragic truck crash here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9591843/Man-woman-confirmed-dead-in-fiery-crash

It appears the truck at the rear may have been at fault. The haulage company transporting the marine hulls did have pilots at front and rear and was correctly lit up. This is one instance where tragically Speed Kills.

Trade_nancy
9th January 2014, 17:35
Update on this tragic truck crash here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9591843/Man-woman-confirmed-dead-in-fiery-crash

It appears the truck at the rear may have been at fault. The haulage company transporting the marine hulls did have pilots at front and rear and was correctly lit up. This is one instance where tragically Speed Kills.

What speed killed? 100? 90? Was the truck doing more than the posted limit? Come on...the death was the result of someone not paying attention and/or knowing what the hell was happening ahead of them and a company putting an enormous slow moving hulk onto SH1 in darkness....with light bulbs blinking...in the hope that every other motorist will be alert and wait in a line.
Darkness kills.

Robbo
9th January 2014, 18:29
What speed killed? 100? 90? Was the truck doing more than the posted limit? Come on...the death was the result of someone not paying attention and/or knowing what the hell was happening ahead of them and a company putting an enormous slow moving hulk onto SH1 in darkness....with light bulbs blinking...in the hope that every other motorist will be alert and wait in a line.
Darkness kills.

Did you not read the news link?? The wide load was covered by a pilot at the front and rear. Then there was the Big Chill truck followed by the car and then the vege truck that run up the back of the car causing the crash. This has nothing to do with the 100km/h legal speed limit on the road as this is about him traveling at a speed where he could not stop within his visual distance. Therefore he was speeding.

caspernz
9th January 2014, 18:58
Darkness kills.

Without defending or blaming anyone, this oversize load was crawling along under overhead lines. Most of the time when you're trucking along at night and you see purple and orange lights they're moving along at a reasonable pace. So yeah, deception becomes part of the issue. Most will have come upon an overdim at night, the pilot lights partly obscured by following trucks and hey presto...bit of emergency braking going on... A few circumstances combining to give a tragic outcome, and having the seen the inferno minutes after it started...not pretty. But maybe we should leave the laying of blame with the boys in blue?

Ocean1
9th January 2014, 19:05
Oh - I'd definately stop and watch that puppy cross the road... Greenpeaces nightmare...

Anybody got a toothpick?

That's a D8, up there.

mashman
9th January 2014, 19:12
It could all be avoided if we went back to pick axe and shovel.

oldrider
9th January 2014, 19:50
It could all be avoided if we went back to pick axe and shovel.

Ignore the fact that our children would be randomly eaten by lions and tigers etc and that it would cold at night with no food! :facepalm:

Who the fuck needs progress anyway! :oi-grr:

jafar
9th January 2014, 20:05
Anybody got a toothpick?

That's a D8, up there.

Need a log to move that, never mind a toothpick :facepalm:

jasonu
10th January 2014, 13:36
Anybody got a toothpick?

That's a D8, up there.

D9 (same physical size as D10)

mashman
10th January 2014, 13:55
Ignore the fact that our children would be randomly eaten by lions and tigers etc and that it would cold at night with no food! :facepalm:

Who the fuck needs progress anyway! :oi-grr:

You forgot the sky falling, reverting to cannibalism, resurgence of the Taniwha and rampant homosexuality.

If the price of progress death and destruction, I'd be questioning why we're doing what we're doing... which, oddly enough, is exactly why I'm questioning why we're doing what we're doing.

Ocean1
10th January 2014, 14:12
If the price of progress death and destruction, I'd be questioning why we're doing what we're doing... which, oddly enough, is exactly why I'm questioning why we're doing what we're doing.

But it's not.

Which sorta exposes just how profoundly pointless your cargo cult bullshit is.

mashman
10th January 2014, 14:22
But it's not.

Which sorta exposes just how profoundly pointless your cargo cult bullshit is.

:rofl: keep on fubmlin' man. The fact that we have to shift big shit by road is all to do with cost. If cost weren't an issue, then big shit could be shipped in any number of other ways. The OP incident may well still happen, but hey, it'd be one less thing eh.

oldrider
10th January 2014, 15:44
Coastal shipping used to keep a lot of stuff off the roads why didn't the Liabour government revive that again instead of buying the toy rail back? :mellow:

Maybe they were afraid of getting the militant "Seamans Union" back with it! :facepalm:

Trade_nancy
10th January 2014, 16:44
Did you not read the news link?? The wide load was covered by a pilot at the front and rear. Then there was the Big Chill truck followed by the car and then the vege truck that run up the back of the car causing the crash. This has nothing to do with the 100km/h legal speed limit on the road as this is about him traveling at a speed where he could not stop within his visual distance. Therefore he was speeding.
Yeh Robbo - I read it. Correct lights make it legit - doesn't make it sensible for the situ and time of day/night though.
Place yourself in the situation where you are travelling along in the dark and ahead you see some tail lights of a truck and ahead of that more lights...you slow down and prepare to do maybe 70-80k? Maybe 50k? Trouble is - this rig was barely walking at many places and took the truckie by surprise. The truck that impacted was at fault for not stopping in time. My argument is only that the transport of this boat in this matter IN DARKNESS,...laid the foundation for the accident to happen. Approaching from a rear view and the warning is much less than frontal... may only see red tail lights....been there and seen that.

mashman
10th January 2014, 17:28
Coastal shipping used to keep a lot of stuff off the roads why didn't the Liabour government revive that again instead of buying the toy rail back? :mellow:

Maybe they were afraid of getting the militant "Seamans Union" back with it! :facepalm:

There'd be plenty of us niggas around to do the job. Just throw in a 12 pack and a pack of special smokes (praps a bag o chups) and they can keep their unions bro.

Ocean1
10th January 2014, 17:49
The fact that we have to shift big shit by road is all to do with cost. If cost weren't an issue, then big shit could be shipped in any number of other ways.

Name a few.

No fairy dust or wizards.

mashman
10th January 2014, 18:39
Name a few.

No fairy dust or wizards.

No fairy dust of wizards, shit... in sensible parts and re-assembled on site for one (then transported by train, plane or automobile). Air lifted whole. Many smaller versions of the same machine. Pixies and Trolls. Work done elsewhere. By Sea (for the bulk of the journey.). Trebuchet. Aliems.