PDA

View Full Version : CB750 cafe racer build

gkmaia
20th January 2014, 12:00
Hey guys. New to the forum. Started this project 8 months ago.

Any one else around who did something similar or want to do?

ellipsis
20th January 2014, 13:22
...welcome...I like that...

unstuck
20th January 2014, 13:43
Welcome, very nice project. You can stay.:Punk::Punk:

Geeen
20th January 2014, 15:45
Nice work :niceone:

kiwikk
20th January 2014, 18:59
That's my kinda project! :yes:
Good to see the 80's bodystyling can be reverted to more classic 70's.
Great job on the engine.
Any more plans for the bike?

I want to do something like this but I need to limit myself to a 400 four CB or XJR and finding the right one in NZ is proving difficult.
Australia seems to have them all at the moment. :(

ellipsis
20th January 2014, 20:05
..'.limiting', yourself to a 400f aint that bad a prospect...I'm gonna do it to a GL1000 sometime soon but the 400f stays as it was...

AllanB
20th January 2014, 20:22
Looks good.

Want too - requires $ though! :facepalm:

jonbuoy
21st January 2014, 09:57
I did a SOHC 750 a few years ago,

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/42695-CB750-cafe-racer-build

Paulo
21st January 2014, 17:23
Nice! like Jonbouy i too had a crack at a SOHC CB750F cafe (about 2008) ,sold it to buy the Guzzi

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=285284&d=1374555708

FJRider
21st January 2014, 18:33
THIS is a real CB750 Cafe Racer ... :yes:

ellipsis
21st January 2014, 18:40
...the op's seems to have the mass and correct stickers to be called a real CB750 Cafe job...

ducatilover
21st January 2014, 23:48
:2thumbsup Always room for more caferacers in the world.
And motorcycle related posts

gkmaia
22nd January 2014, 00:28
That's my kinda project! :yes:
Good to see the 80's bodystyling can be reverted to more classic 70's.
Great job on the engine.
Any more plans for the bike?

I want to do something like this but I need to limit myself to a 400 four CB or XJR and finding the right one in NZ is proving difficult.
Australia seems to have them all at the moment. :(

That sounds nice mate. For me the 750 is very exciting to drive but quite hard to restore alone. VEry heavy parts and I don't have all the tools to deal with it. Also always wanted to have a 750 so... that why i did. no regrets.

I guess a 400 is not bat at all. It is still a four but not that heavy. And I want to do the next bike as a 400 or something around that. Nothing bigger than 600cc.

To setup the workshop (compressor and tools) I spent around 1000$. Plus paint, sand and media for my tools another 1000$. Parts from Dimecity Cycles another 1000$. So I guess apart from the bike, plus 3000$ investment.

If you have a chance to soda blast the engine, frame and wheels do it. Will save probably a month of work and will look sharp.

gkmaia
22nd January 2014, 00:46
I did a SOHC 750 a few years ago,

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/42695-CB750-cafe-racer-build

u did great mate. very nice tank, nice work with electrical, nice paint. well done.

keep the stock air box. i am still struggling with my pods. waiting for my new jets to arrive and if they do not work I will build a smaller version of the air box for these cv carbs. pods looks god but they are just a pain...

HenryDorsetCase
22nd January 2014, 07:43
THIS is a real CB750 Cafe Racer ... :yes:

I'd look at her rats hole any day if you see where I'm going with that.

The bike looks like a pregnant GB400 Mk 2

HenryDorsetCase
22nd January 2014, 07:45
If you have a chance to soda blast the engine, frame and wheels do it. Will save probably a month of work and will look sharp.

That should take the finish back to a nice "as cast" finish and get that shitty lacquer which has yellowed and flaked and peeled off it.

But, once you've done that, how do you keep it looking nice? because the surface will get tatty really quickly won't it?

gkmaia
22nd January 2014, 09:40
That should take the finish back to a nice "as cast" finish and get that shitty lacquer which has yellowed and flaked and peeled off it.

But, once you've done that, how do you keep it looking nice? because the surface will get tatty really quickly won't it?

I haven't done the soda blasting because my gun does not have the pressure for that. But it has many benefits like an even cleanup, safer for the engine and you can hire someone to do and avoid having to build a blast room and buy loads of media.

Instead I did:
- sand blast for the engine, before anyone say anything, yes it was very very sealed and no I would not recommend if you don't know how to seal properly.
- a drill with paint strip and steel wheels in the frame and many other parts
- acid for the wheels and tank

The problem with acid is that you will need a lot ($$$) and you will have to use a toxic mask and be careful with you eyes and skin because it burns.

The engine was the one where I got the best result so far. Blasting really gets the surface texture even and ready for paint. The thing is: you should move fast because it rust in hours and will ruin your paint job.

Don't use anything that causes friction - drill with paint strip or a sander - on aluminium parts like: wheels, engine, etc... it will damage the surface.

Sand/soda blasting will leave a surface that is a bit flaked and rough. With a good epoxi primer coat it will look smooth. Then top coat. The engine does not take primer, but will look good with one coat of hi-temp paint.

blackdog
22nd January 2014, 09:58
http://thebikeshed.cc/2014/01/21/pancake-customs-cb750/

ducatilover
22nd January 2014, 21:21
The problem with acid is that you will need a lot ($$$) and you will have to use a toxic mask and be careful with you eyes and skin because it burns.

You could always use a decent paint stripper, and scratch the surface of the original paint. Usually sorts it out :first:
Clear coat the engine with high temp clear, sorted :headbang:

gkmaia
22nd January 2014, 22:27
You could always use a decent paint stripper, and scratch the surface of the original paint. Usually sorts it out :first:
Clear coat the engine with high temp clear, sorted :headbang:

Where do you get high temp clear coat? Do u know if it is possible to get high temp satin clear coat?

jonbuoy
23rd January 2014, 02:22
Good progress! I´m not sure how well clearcoat will hold up on oil-air cooled head/barrels the crankcases will be ok but around the exhaust ports and barrels it might yellow. If I was doing it again I would strip the engine and see if someone could do an aluminium ceramic coating. Vapour blasting makes them look like new but not for long if you ride all year round.

ducatilover
23rd January 2014, 22:35
Where do you get high temp clear coat? Do u know if it is possible to get high temp satin clear coat?

VHT do a high temp clear and high temp satin colours. I don't know of a high temp satin clear, sorry, but if you have a gun and mix your own paint you can chuck a flattening agent in

gkmaia
24th January 2014, 00:48
VHT do a high temp clear and high temp satin colours. I don't know of a high temp satin clear, sorry, but if you have a gun and mix your own paint you can chuck a flattening agent in

I do have a gun and also mix my own paint. It is quite hard to find a good variety of high temp paint and most of it come as aerosol or you can go for those basic glossy POR15... both options I don't like very much.

Eastwood does some really good ones and they have tons of variations for HT but the importer imports just an insignificant part of their line... shame.

Yow Ling
29th January 2014, 19:46
I was following an old CB750 round the other day , was a bit too fast for me to pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUdYyiFeNiY

gkmaia
29th January 2014, 20:23
I was following an old CB750 round the other day , was a bit too fast for me to pass

That was F******* awesome dude!!! :^)

AllanB
1st April 2014, 19:30
VHT do a high temp satin clear. I have a can in my garage. Repco got mine for me a couple years back. I was using it on a muffler - did not want gloss, flat black was like a blackboard. Satin over flat was sweet. No idea how it will last on a engine but it is designed for exhausts! You need to heat cycle that paint to get it fully cured - easy with a engine or exhaust.

landiesman217
29th August 2015, 23:17
Hey guys. New to the forum. Started this project 8 months ago.

Any one else around who did something similar or want to do?

What type of mufflers are those? I'm starting my cafe conversion and really like where you have gone with yours.

husaberg
30th August 2015, 00:08
I haven't done the soda blasting because my gun does not have the pressure for that. But it has many benefits like an even cleanup, safer for the engine and you can hire someone to do and avoid having to build a blast room and buy loads of media.

Instead I did:
- sand blast for the engine, before anyone say anything, yes it was very very sealed and no I would not recommend if you don't know how to seal properly.
- a drill with paint strip and steel wheels in the frame and many other parts
- acid for the wheels and tank

The engine was the one where I got the best result so far. Blasting really gets the surface texture even and ready for paint. The thing is: you should move fast because it rust in hours and will ruin your paint job.

Don't use anything that causes friction - drill with paint strip or a sander - on aluminium parts like: wheels, engine, etc... it will damage the surface.

Sand/soda blasting will leave a surface that is a bit flaked and rough. With a good epoxi primer coat it will look smooth. Then top coat. The engine does not take primer, but will look good with one coat of hi-temp paint.

Comstars can be converted to wire spoked wheels.
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/robbullit/Comstar%20Spoke%20Rings/20131229_1203101_zpsc54b7042.jpg

HenryDorsetCase
30th August 2015, 15:53
Comstars can be converted to wire spoked wheels.
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/robbullit/Comstar%20Spoke%20Rings/20131229_1203101_zpsc54b7042.jpg

http://motosynthesis.blogspot.co.nz/p/products.html

I know someone with the machinery to build this. CNC machined not water jet? the key would be to set up the CAD model.

husaberg
30th August 2015, 15:56
http://motosynthesis.blogspot.co.nz/p/products.html

I know someone with the machinery to build this. CNC machined not water jet? the key would be to set up the CAD model.

I first seen it doing the Covered disk ala VT250/500 or CBX550 (Enclosed disk )so it looked like a drum brake it was pretty neat.
Of course it would be likely cheaper to just buy a couple of hubs and modify the fork axels etc

J.A.W.
30th August 2015, 16:16
..'.limiting', yourself to a 400f aint that bad a prospect...I'm gonna do it to a GL1000 sometime soon but the 400f stays as it was...

Honda Lead Bling C.R?

Too funny, E.. or are you actually like, a steam-punk hipster-dude.. doing 'ironic'?

If so, funnier yet..