PDA

View Full Version : Touring on a Hyosung 250GT

skelstar
29th August 2005, 15:53
I own a Hyosung 250GT Comet. It nuts along reasonably well and doesnt shame itself to badly on the weekend rides (so far). I am planning to do a southisland trip around Xmas time and I am wondering what issues Im going to have riding a small bike like my own. In theory I could pay mega-bucks and CBTA my way to a bigger bike by Xmas but im enjoying getting 25km/L on a 'fast' day. Besides, I bought the bike new and I like having a new bike.

So what do people think?
- Im likely to be happy riding at 110-120km/h on the open road.
- happy to wait for a passing opportunity.
- not wanting to traverse the island in a day or anything.
- ...and Im 5'10" tall/short and find the bike quite comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Jonty
29th August 2005, 15:56
Personally i think you will be fine. The only reason I didn't tour on the ZXR was that it would nearly cripple me after 100km. If you are comfortable on it and you get set up with a pack rack or similar (don't wear a back pack if it is heavy) you chould be fine.

poorbastard
29th August 2005, 15:58
Depends alot on whether you think you are ready for a larger bike I would say. If your happy with the bike I would say it would be fine. I am hoping to do that same sort of trip sometime.

duckman
29th August 2005, 15:58
I toured allllllllll round the country on a VT250 and it never bothered me.

I'd imagine the Comet will do just fine. :ride:

sir.pratt
29th August 2005, 15:59
I'd be looking at an AA membership - I would take one for a tour even though I can fix stuff

John
29th August 2005, 16:02
You said "Nuts" your so "black" and with it, dont "nut" ON the bike though, tis a bitch to clean.

But seriously, you will tour fine, if your wrists get to sore - maybe look at some new renthals/riser or sumin?
as for your fuel, feel lucky - I get 15km/l, but thats due to mods.

Oakie
29th August 2005, 17:55
You'll be fine. Sounds like you've worked out a riding strategy that suits you and the bike. Just remember to throw in the odd break every now and then.
The AA membership is a great idea ... even if only for peace of mind. Cell phone is not a bad idea either. With the kilometres you're talking about, be sure to get a quick mechanical once over before you leave.
Have fun.

Kickaha
29th August 2005, 18:42
So what do people think?

Do it! Celtic sea lily did a South Island tour earlier this year on her CB250RS with no problems at all http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8959&highlight=south+island

skelstar
29th August 2005, 20:27
Thanks for the feedback guys.
- the bike is a sports-tourer so the bars are quite high and comfy already.
- CSL's trip does look good. Obviously no problem with the size of her bike (early on anyway).
- I have investigated the AA option. Bit of a premium to reap benefits of fuel delivery etc but should be good 'insurance'.

badlieutenant
29th August 2005, 21:07
youll have no problem on that bike mate. I dont know how reliable they are but it didnt look to have too much trickery that might fail you. And you'll be able to cover a fair number of K's before you feel to sore. Nice looking bike btw.

skelstar
29th August 2005, 21:09
youll have no problem on that bike mate. I dont know how reliable they are but it didnt look to have too much trickery that might fail you. And you'll be able to cover a fair number of K's before you feel to sore. Nice looking bike btw.
Thanks dude. Did I see you and Velox on the hill today? Those road works are pissing me off royally at the moment.

badlieutenant
29th August 2005, 21:13
eeer did we miss you ? sorry if we did mate, there was a 636 there as well but he was trying to keep some rubber for the track day.
was an awesome day for it. Had a nice lunch in martinborough after popping into see stoney. If it was early in the afternoon dafe was out there to. Nice sound those vtwins :D

James Deuce
29th August 2005, 22:41
As I already said, stop being an old woman and get on with it. I've done Northland and the Waikato on a Kawasaki CSR250 (like a GN, but 25HP and no brakes), and the whole North Island on an RG250, mostly commuting from Auckland to Wellington and back for 3 months, but with the odd side trip thrown in, and I had a ball on both bikes.

The Hyosung is still quicker up to 100km/hr than 80% of vehicles on NZ's roads, and probably quicker to 120 than 70% of vehicles.

Just DO IT. Stop the tremulous blather and RIDE the damn thing.

It's a very nice bike, and you're a good rider. You'll have no dramas, other than those the motorcycling gods feel fit to bestow upon thee.

badlieutenant
29th August 2005, 23:22
watch out for those big white posts tho ............ :dodge:

LB
30th August 2005, 04:51
Like they all say above, you'll be fine. It's not about roaring round at 200kph (well, it isn't for me though now I think about it I do know some guys who do that........). It's about enjoying the wonderful scenery, the magic roads, and the lovely Southern hospitality.

Go for it.

skelstar
30th August 2005, 08:12
As I already said, stop being an old woman and get on with it.
You are right of course Jim, I was going to do it anyway, its more wanting to anticipate the issues I might have. I bloody looking forward to it though! :)

Slingshot
30th August 2005, 10:18
My advise is to get fit for the trip, start building up to longer rides before you head down south, that way your body will be used being on the bike and fatigue will be less of a problem.

You should come on the Coast to Coast rally, it's ealry December and goes from Himatangi to Aikitia (west to east coast). It's about 5 hours of riding broken with a few stops along the way.

A nice sheepskin seat cover would help make the seat nice and comfy as well:rofl:

skelstar
30th August 2005, 10:36
My advise is to get fit for the trip, start building up to longer rides before you head down south, that way your body will be used being on the bike and fatigue will be less of a problem.
You should come on the Coast to Coast rally, it's ealry December and goes from Himatangi to Aikitia (west to east coast). It's about 5 hours of riding broken with a few stops along the way.
A nice sheepskin seat cover would help make the seat nice and comfy as well:rofl:
Coast to coast sounds like a good idea. Will have to think about the sheepskin thing. This is a standard accessory or one you have to make/manufacture yourself?

Bonez
30th August 2005, 10:46
Coast to coast sounds like a good idea. Will have to think about the sheepskin thing. This is a standard accessory or one you have to make/manufacture yourself?Any ol back country back road b-lamb skinned and tanned will do. Picked my last one up from between Waipuk and Hastings. Had to remove some flesh. Off the self generic ones with some elastic sawn across the underneath works. Being a bit dottery I use a cut up high density foam pad sometimes as well -stops the piles bleeding you know...............

skelstar
30th August 2005, 10:51
Any ol back country back road b-lamb skinned...stops the piles bleeding you know...............
Nice imagery :). Yeah I guess I didnt think it would be that difficult. The seats pretty well padded already but Im sure the sheepskin would be nice. Wonder if my riding buddies would tolerate it....:)

FROSTY
30th August 2005, 23:05
hey good onya dude. Like jim said--Just do it-. I just recently did 2300km on my old XJ900 and to be honest it was mostly at 100-120km/h I had a total blast. My one bit of advise to you would be -invest in a little bikini fairing -you have no idea how much nicer itlll make the ride.

Bonez
31st August 2005, 08:20
Nice imagery :). Yeah I guess I didnt think it would be that difficult. The seats pretty well padded already but Im sure the sheepskin would be nice. Wonder if my riding buddies would tolerate it....:)They'll just be jealous. Oh other advantages are, keeps the suns UV rays of the vinyl m/c seat, can acts as a cushion on stops, a pillow when rolled up, pulls the chicks-insert image of skimpy clad babe here- and a 101 n one other uses.

skelstar
31st August 2005, 08:31
They'll just be jealous. Oh other advantages are, keeps the suns UV rays of the vinyl m/c seat, can acts as a cushion on stops, a pillow when rolled up, pulls the chicks-insert image of skimpy clad babe here- and a 101 n one other uses.
Dude, you had me at "insert image of skimpy clad babe here...". :)

sels1
31st August 2005, 08:32
- Im likely to be happy riding at 110-120km/h on the open road.

Go for it Sean. There is a lot of scenery to take in so not going too fast is the best way to enjoy it. Less concentration required at lower speeds = less fatigue also.

Bonez
1st September 2005, 07:36
Dude, you had me at "insert image of skimpy clad babe here...". :)Just scouting around the shed getting my clobber ready for the Cold Kiwi and found this. Picked it up out of a ditch whilst walking the lab. No maggots, fleas or other crawly things in it. I'll only need about half of it for the GB. Tis around 3 1/2-4 Ft long. You are quite welcome to have the rest.

skelstar
1st September 2005, 08:03
Just scouting around the shed getting my clobber ready for the Cold Kiwi and found this. Picked it up out of a ditch whilst walking the lab. No maggots, fleas or other crawly things in it. I'll only need about half of it for the GB. Tis around 3 1/2-4 Ft long. You are quite welcome to have the rest.
Mate that would be sweet. Give me some notice if you are going on one of the sunday rides and Ill bring a pack to take it in. Thanks!

Bonez
1st September 2005, 08:10
Mate that would be sweet. Give me some notice if you are going on one of the sunday rides and Ill bring a pack to take it in. Thanks! Just PM your address details and I can post it. Or give it to one of the Welly KB crew to take down from Palmy on there way back from the Kiwi.

steved
1st September 2005, 12:15
Just to add to the discussion; I'm considered riding from Auckland to Nelson at Christmas time on my CBR250. The longest I have ridden so far is the 22 to Hammy and back and I know how tiring that can be. Am I being a silly nong or should it be a reasonably comfortable two day trip?

luke-g
1st September 2005, 12:49
Go the Comet! Nice to see something from a fellow GT250 rider. Sweet bikes, aren't they? I'll be heading down to Christchurch (from Aucks) after the end of semester to spend a week or two visiting a mate, so be sure and let me know how it goes.

skelstar
1st September 2005, 12:56
I feel a plan for some Formation Comet riding brewing :).

vifferman
1st September 2005, 13:03
Just to add to the discussion; I'm considered riding from Auckland to Nelson at Christmas time on my CBR250. The longest I have ridden so far is the 22 to Hammy and back and I know how tiring that can be. Am I being a silly nong or should it be a reasonably comfortable two day trip?
Piece of wees.
I rode from Hamiltown to Chch in two days (break at Wellytown) and Chch to Tauranga in two days (break at Wellytown again), with no problems at all. (It was on a VF500, but the cc-age doesn't make that much difference, as I was mostly not hooning).

Groins_NZ
1st September 2005, 13:14
Have you got some tie-downs for the ferry crossing? Not that you absolutely need some of your own as the Interislander's do provide them.

BNZ
1st September 2005, 13:45
Doesnt GT stand for "Grand Touring"????

skelstar
1st September 2005, 13:48
Technically 'Grand Tourismo' but yeah sure.

Charlie
1st September 2005, 16:42
I am planning to do a southisland trip around Xmas time .

Road trip! :ride: What a fab idea, be mint in summer down the south island, you'll have a blast. Going solo?
Hahaha, I need to get some ks up, just and hour on my bike and my hands & wrists are killing me!
Have fun... wee way till then, but keep us posted on your plans and of course all the stories after!

Sniper
1st September 2005, 16:43
Sounds like a nice plan. Make sure to pop in along the way to say Hi

XP@
2nd September 2005, 11:54
No worries, if you are comfprtable on the bike just do it.

One tip... pack what you need to take with you then devide the amount of stuff by 2. Most people take way too much the first time they go away.